Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golovkin - Canelo is Champ at 160 but has never faced a Middleweight!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Golovkin - Canelo is Champ at 160 but has never faced a Middleweight!

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin - Canelo is Champ at 160 but has never faced a Middleweight!

Did you happen to catch Hopkins solution to the impasse? It’s a classic and rather sad how a throw-back like him who fought the establishment his entire career sells out to the same one.

Entire article.... Bernard Hopkins has a solution to Canelo-Triple G weight differences | Boxingjunkie

“I don’t think it’s going to happen sooner because they’re going to have a problem on the weight,” he said. “Canelo wants to fight at a weight he’s comfortable at, and Triple G wants to fight at 160. And if we don’t have movement on both sides, something’s got to give. And until this gets sorted out, why punish each fighter? You got to look for matches just in case. You have to have Plan B.
    Just look at that. He should have been interrupted right after he made this statement...
    Canelo wants to fight at a weight he’s comfortable at, and Triple G wants to fight at 160.
    and then verbally crucified.

What if Tito demanded 155? He was the money in their fight not him. He should inform his main tit that you can’t invent your own division because that’s where you are most comfortable.

Next,

And if Canelo is stripped of his title? No problem, says Hopkins.

“He’s not really a (true) middleweight anyway. Then he just goes back down to (154) and represents that,” Hopkins said. “But then nobody wins. The fans don’t win, we don’t win, boxing don’t win. And it’s back to square one.”
    Lol is my only response.

Finally,

Hopkins says he does have a solution, one that’s been done before in boxing. Both fighters should enter into a contract in the middle of both weight classes (Canelo, 155 pounds, Golovkin 160), and have a cutoff of how much they can rehydrate up.

“Cap it so you can gain no more than 10 pounds in the 24 hours between the weigh-in and the fight,” Hopkins said. “Then you won’t eat yourself up to be in another weight class. It’s absurd that someone can gain 20 pounds (during rehydration) and get in there with a guy that gains six pounds.”
    When I first read past the bold I never caught it and when I finished the entire bottom paragraph I thought well if that were the case we would have had a trilogy already and then I read it again knowing I missed something because it was just too good to be true.

Why not let them both just enter the weigh in at their best weight not exceeding 160 and only allow 10 pounds. Alvarez can’t be more than 165 and Golovkin 170. That would not be a problem for the Kazak. The heaviest he's ever been was 173 against Rubio. Alvarez would be the one that would have the issues with a 10 pound cap.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be fair Oscar held Hop to 156.

Hop had no problems with it, he'll, GGGs own trainer said anyone from 154-175 until everyone at 175 spoke up then it was anyone 154-168 error emm not Ward. Anyone 154 willing to come up to 160 to 168 but only if you are old or not very good at 168.(to be fair he didn't actually say the last bit but that is how it has played out)

I don't support Canelo. I just think chasing an inferior fighter is weak. Canelo needs his size advantage or he is nothing. So if you are the same size as Canelo(actually taller and have weighed in heavier your entire career. And going back you were 3 divisions heavier as an amateur) beating him means nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Talking Re: Golovkin - Canelo is Champ at 160 but has never faced a Middleweight!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Hop had no problems with it, he'll, GGGs own trainer said anyone from 154-175 until everyone at 175 spoke up then it was anyone 154-168 error emm not Ward. Anyone 154 willing to come up to 160 to 168 but only if you are old or not very good at 168.(to be fair he didn't actually say the last bit but that is how it has played out)

I don't support Canelo. I just think chasing an inferior fighter is weak. Canelo needs his size advantage or he is nothing. So if you are the same size as Canelo(actually taller and have weighed in heavier your entire career. And going back you were 3 divisions heavier as an amateur) beating him means nothing.
    you are bashing ggg for chasing the champ. of his own division instead of going after an irrelevant light heavyweight.

Addicted to_boxing Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mircea View Post

you are bashing ggg for chasing the champ. of his own division instead of going after an irrelevant light heavyweight.
    The problem I have is GGG has fought no one of of merit. Had he fought anyone I would be on his side. He should fight Trout, Kirkland, Cotto, Lara or Perro at 155 . Instead he beats the hell out of a super weak class of 160. Canelo should fight the last 3 GGG opponents just to discredit GGG . Canelo is the A side GGG is the B side favored 4 to 1. Of course he does not want to fight at 155. A very good 155 fighter likely beats a good 160 fighter.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to_boxing View Post

The problem I have is GGG has fought no one of of merit. Had he fought anyone I would be on his side. He should fight Trout, Kirkland, Cotto, Lara or Perro at 155 . Instead he beats the hell out of a super weak class of 160. Canelo should fight the last 3 GGG opponents just to discredit GGG . Canelo is the A side GGG is the B side favored 4 to 1. Of course he does not want to fight at 155. A very good 155 fighter likely beats a good 160 fighter.
    GGG is one of the best Middleweights I have seen he is up there with Hagler.
    Champions fight at there weight not to suit the contender.!
    Canelo WILL take a beating simple he stands very little chance at all regardless at any weight GGG is a nasty type in the ring he just dismantles his opponent.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, saying GGG is too good for the people he is fighting is not bashing. Not sure why GGGs fans don't understand that wanting him to fight better fighters is a compliment

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin - Canelo is Champ at 160 but has never faced a Middleweight!

No, saying GGG is too good for the people he is fighting is not bashing. Not sure why GGGs fans don't understand that wanting him to fight better fighters is a compliment
    To be fair Ron, I think you have a fair point to a certain degree. the problem is that all these imaginery match ups are difficult to make in reality, and GGG is no spring chicken, that's why he wants to fight 3-4 fights a year in order to maximise his earning potential.
    Trying to make fights against guys in other weight divisions is time consuming and easier said than done.
    nowadays, they ALL SAY they want to make a fight, but in reality it doesn't work out like that.
    At least in your own division, a bit more pressure can be applied to make the fights by the governing bodies, although I have to admit I say that loosely because they're all pretty useless and have their own agendas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't consider Canelo an inferior fighter at all just because he lost to one of the best fighter ever, I like GGG but he's not my favorite boxer and like you and the most fans I want to see him against the best fighters , it's just I don't consider Ward vs. GGG a fair fight, Ward is light heavyweight so ....
    I don't understand why nobody take in consideration Daniel Jacobs as an worthy opponent ?, he's definitely skilled enough to frustrate GGG for 12 rounds and win on points if his chin doesn't betray him.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG is doing what great fighters do: cleaning out his division and DESTROYING anyone and everyone they put in front of him. Hopkins did it. Hagler did it. Julio Ceasar Chavez did it. You have to build your fan base up and make a name for yourself, and THEN sign for the super fight.

Canelo is a good kid who works hard and is brave, but he is nowhere near the best of that division and it is a disgrace that it is even being discussed that he should be able to dictate the weight limit for the already established (one of the original 8!) 160 pound championship. I also have to add that while Canelo is very large for 154 and a decent counter puncher (against the right opponent), the guy hasn't beaten the competition or displayed the skills to match his "A" side/Golden Boy status. Oba Carr, Yori Boy Campas, Randy Shields...etc., where MUCH better and more complete fighters and never even won a title in boxing's heyday.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Somebody make it stop.

Canelo-GGG Update

Negotiations are ongoing between the camps of WBC middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez and WBA/IBF/WBC interim champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin. Fightnews.com® has learned that one of the proposals being discussed is that both fighters agree to have at least two or three interim fights each before they clash. If both sides agree to it, Canelo’s next foe could be either David Lemieux or Curtis Stevens. GGG could face Daniel Jacobs. The reasoning for the additional time is to let the fight marinate and become bigger and bigger so the fighters (Canelo and GGG) can make the most money when they finally do meet. Stay tuned…
    Just unbelievable, how does a farce get this far?

http://www.fightnews.com/

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Somebody make it stop.

Canelo-GGG Update

Negotiations are ongoing between the camps of WBC middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez and WBA/IBF/WBC interim champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin. Fightnews.com® has learned that one of the proposals being discussed is that both fighters agree to have at least two or three interim fights each before they clash. If both sides agree to it, Canelo’s next foe could be either David Lemieux or Curtis Stevens. GGG could face Daniel Jacobs. The reasoning for the additional time is to let the fight marinate and become bigger and bigger so the fighters (Canelo and GGG) can make the most money when they finally do meet. Stay tuned…
    Just unbelievable, how does a farce get this far?

Boxing News and results, Best source for the latest Boxing News, updated 24/7 - Fightnews.com
    So when we were asked in a previous thread, "are boxing fans stupid?" , if they get away with this, the answer has to be HELL YEAH!!!
    GGG can fight Jacobs, I'll accept that, but fuck Canelo , and BJS , clearly neither of them wants it.
    And after Jacobs, I'm beginning to be with @Ron Swanson, move up in weight and let fake champions like Canelo and Saunders bullshit away their careers.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marinating the fights never seem to work. Either one fighter loses before the fight actually happens, or the excitement has worn off. Now is the time that we are all wanting it. What happens if canelo struggles in his next fight? All of the steam for the fight dissipates because it becomes even more apparent that they are not on the same level.

Although I will say that a Canelo vs lemieux fight would be pretty good and it would be interesting to see how Canelo does against a legit middleweight and if his chin is that good.

Jacobs is probably GGGs best option right now and I agree that he should probably move up after that fight unless the other "champions" decide to fight him. I am all for cleaning out a division, but if the best won't fight you then you need to go elsewhere.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow. In a not so good way.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo-GGG Update

two or three interim fights :S bloody ell that's awful, canelo has taken one voluntary that should be enough.. Didnt the wbc just order the golovkin canelo fight, hopefully they turn out to be the sensible ones here and take the title away if this ends up happening..

although if golovkin does get to face jacobs that would end up throwing one more belt into the big fight, so maybe that could be acceptable but I hope there is no more stupid defences.

Thread Information