Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: No fighter needs to move down, fighters need to move up!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default No fighter needs to move down, fighters need to move up!

It is ridiculous to expect Golovkin to move down. You know if you're definitely move up 5 more pounds. What's the big deal for canelo.... five pounds? The guy goes into the ring at what 165? Maybe more? Without doing any research I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of the times that people have moved it was to move up to challenge for a higher division.

There's no question that Canelo needs to move up 5 pounds and there's also no question that Golovkin needs to move up to fight Ward....they're both bunch of chickens both of them useless chickens. This supposed Superstars we have nowadays are just chickens.... look at Archie Moore look at Roy Jones look at Henry Armstrong these were real men willing to fight.
    Last edited by brocktonblockbust; 05-19-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: No fighter needs to move down, fighters need to move up!

Only difference between the two of them is that GGG wants to unify 160 before moving up which I think is acceptable, Canelo wants to unify 160 without ever actually fighting at 160 and has never mentioned moving up.

If he was to pull off a major upset and beat GGG at 160 then would there be the same call for him to move up to fight Ward?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And GGG hasn't had trouble making 160. Its fine for you to move down if you can make the weight without posing a health risk to yourself .
    Last edited by J_Undisputed; 05-20-2016 at 01:55 AM.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2 things

Batman-GGG has been talking about moving up for 5 years! He was going to move up for a payday against Steiglitz, he was going to move up for a payday against Chavez, he was going to move up for a payday against Froch. All to 168, but for Ward he wanted 164. Let's not pretend we don't understand why one situation called for a different weight, we all know why he wanted Ward to go lower. GGG was 165 12 years ago. 168 isn't a problem now.

And the 2nd, GGG has already moved down. He was bigger as an amateur.

He should not have to move down, that is correct. But he also shouldn't Pacquiao and say I'll fight this guy at this weight but for this guy I want it at this weight and that guy I want it at that weight to have an advantage. He is good enough he doesn't need advantages.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    2 things

Batman-GGG has been talking about moving up for 5 years! He was going to move up for a payday against Steiglitz, he was going to move up for a payday against Chavez, he was going to move up for a payday against Froch. All to 168, but for Ward he wanted 164. Let's not pretend we don't understand why one situation called for a different weight, we all know why he wanted Ward to go lower. GGG was 165 12 years ago. 168 isn't a problem now.

He should not have to move down, that is correct. But he also shouldn't Pacquiao and say I'll fight this guy at this weight but for this guy I want it at this weight and that guy I want it at that weight to have an advantage. He is good enough he doesn't need advantages.
    Is that true? I honestly can't remember ever hearing him talking about Steiglitz, Chavez and Froch, my memory must be shot

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Froch would fucking murder him, even now.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    2 things

Is that true? I honestly can't remember ever hearing him talking about Steiglitz, Chavez and Froch, my memory must be shot
    I was about to ask as well. If it's true, then Ron just dropped some science on us.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see how losing muscle mass can benefit someone in a sport as grueling as boxing, where even the most seemingly marginal differences can be a big advantage/disadvantage and have aa huge influence on the outcome of a fight.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post
    I don't see how losing muscle mass can benefit someone in a sport as grueling as boxing, where even the most seemingly marginal differences can be a big advantage/disadvantage and have aa huge influence on the outcome of a fight.
    It doesn't. If it was not a problem history would be full of examples. Although rarely attempted it also has about a 100% failure rate. Other then that its a great idea.

Thread Information