Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Best Fights

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Again this is all memory lane boxing for me.

Channel 4, a terrestrial channel showed these fighters from the far East.

I would never have become a fan of them and boxing if they had not shown these boxers on mainstream.

This is why boxing is now a minority sport.
    It is interesting to think of it. In a way boxing has very much reverted and off the basic mainstream. Off of "old media" and tv. New technology/platforms gradually make it that you have to seek it out again. Even a broader platform like Amazon and the "new deal" barely lifted a finger to advertise the first fight card...it was on youtube and had the production of a grade school play. Hardly bringing in new fans like that.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would never have become a fan of them and boxing if they had not shown these boxers on mainstream.

i'm not sure i totally agree. i don't watch any mainstream tv & haven't for years. fights & weightclasses that would have been hard to access only a few years ago, can be easily accessed now. most main cars are available within a few hours of happeing live. i think promoters need to build local shows & followings, also amateur boxing needs to promte stars, so when they switch over people already know a bit about them. the world series of boxing was trying to do this. there are many things that boxing can do to build popularity, the first thing is to make fights people want to see & when the fights are relevant
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post

i'm not sure i totally agree. i don't watch any mainstream tv & haven't for years. fights & weightclasses that would have been hard to access only a few years ago, can be easily accessed now. most main cars are available within a few hours of happeing live. i think promoters need to build local shows & followings, also amateur boxing needs to promte stars, so when they switch over people already know a bit about them. the world series of boxing was trying to do this. there are many things that boxing can do to build popularity, the first thing is to make fights people want to see & when the fights are relevant
    Mainstream TV allowed casual fans in their millions to watch Benn v Eubank and generations followed boxing.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mainstream TV allowed casual fans in their millions to watch Benn v Eubank and generations followed boxing.
    i agree with you but times have changed. now most things are viewed on devices & more often than not, just highlights. attention spans aren't what they used to be & there is so much choice out there seeking to entice our time
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i agree with you but times have changed. now most things are viewed on devices & more often than not, just highlights. attention spans aren't what they used to be & there is so much choice out there seeking to entice our time
    Agreed but boxing events with family and friends around these social events creates interest from future fans and love of the game.

Millions loved Henry Cooper, Frank Bruno, McGuigan because of boxing on mainstream TV.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

paul banke v daniel zaragoza two, these guys had a fun trilogy

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

paul banke v daniel zaragoza two, these guys had a fun trilogy
    A hugely underappreciated trilogy. Great wars. The Forum was such an awesome and historical venue on the West coast.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this should have been the foty for twenty seventeen

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

kevin kelley v troy dorsey. i couldn't find this on youtube, they have both of troy's fights with jorge paez though that are also worth watching

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spicoli loves that fight!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

kevin kelley v troy dorsey. i couldn't find this on youtube, they have both of troy's fights with jorge paez though that are also worth watching
    Master nails it . Yeh this is an epic classic. Belongs in a time capsule. Dorsey is one of the toughest fighters I've ever watched and a true acid test for early Kevin Kelley. Never judge a fighter on numbers alone.

Good call of Paez fights. And Dorsey was robbed in the first! But a special place as far as being a fan. One of the earliest fights I can remember watching on an afternoon and Paez the first fighter I recoiled at as a complete clown. But as it turned out and years would reveal, he was ahead of his time and could fight too.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of my favourite fights

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both fighters gave it there all there but Barrera would not be denied.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tommy coyle v daniel brizuela

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great fight Big J and equally massive moment for boxing, HBO and the HOF run of Barrera. His breakout homecoming at the Forum. Always liked McKinney with the potent right hand and an endless reserve of heart. He did very well to come back from the brink a couple times in or out of the ring.

Thread Information