Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here into Basketball (NBA)?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anyone here into Basketball (NBA)?

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    There's a lot of flash in the league positions 1-3 (that's Point Guard, Shooting Guard, and Small Forward for you foreigners), but when you start to understand the beauty of the inside game that's when things get interesting. Tim Duncan is one of the all-time greatest players and he's flown under the radar for much of his career. Watching guys like Kareem Abdul-Jabaar and Hakeem Olajuwon move in the paint was magical, for guys over 7 feet tall they were graceful and had lots of finesse and then you have guys like Shawn Kemp and Shaquille O'Neal and Darryl Dawkins who were just pure power.

I enjoy seeing the COMPLETE game, play hard on offense, make the extra pass for the open shot, but also hustle. Follow your shots, rebound, outlet passes, diving on the court for loose balls, playing good defense.

And if you ever want to see some brilliance at the PG spot look no further than THE 'Pistol' Pete Maravich...
    Looks and moves like Johan Cruyff.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

El Kabong Guest

Hakeem 'The Dream' Olajuwon

'The Rainman' Shawn Kemp

'The Mailman' Karl Malone

'The Big Fundamental' Tim Duncan

And of course this is going back to the flashy guys, but if you like dunks this guy did it the best

Vince Carter

El Kabong Guest

I want to give some shout outs to some International flavor here as well: Ricky Rubio, Dirk Nowitzki, Toni Kukoc, Drazen Petrovic, Vlade Divac, Arvydis Sbonis, Yao Ming, Steve Nash, Pau & Marc Gasol, Rik Smits, Luc Longley, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Dikembe Mutombo, Hedo Turkoglu, Andrei Kirolenko, Dino Radja, Peja Stojakovic, Detlef Schrempf, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, Andrew Bogut.

So well done Canada (Steve Nash) and Australia (Luc Longley and Andrew Bogut)....the best basketball player ever from the UK is probably at this point Luol Deng who is actually from Sudan, but lived in England long enough to be a member of that national team.....quality player though and of course basketball is something that will eventually catch on better there once more kids give it a shot.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In London and surrounding counties most recreational spaces have hoops (usually atop goal posts though). You find a lot of eastern European kids play it. I'd like my kids to play it actually.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    I've been getting into it the past couple of weeks - I've always kinda liked it but never really known much about it outside of Jorands Bulls in the 90's and Shaq & Kobe.

Now that I actually understand the rules and positions, I've actually really taken gained an appreciation of the sport. Really enjoying the play-offs. Think OKC might take it all the way
    Now you know. More than a few who are into basketball. Next time don't take so long to ask us!!!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Basketball was the only sport I ever played much, used to watch a lot but stopped forever, have been following the last couple rounds of the playoffs this year. Raps-Cavs game just started, hoping Toronto wins but thinking they go home.
    Have always thought that if the intangibles were there, some of the great big men in the NBA would have been terrifying HW boxers. The balance and mechanics actually aren't all that different, I don't think there's ever been a guy nearly as big who had half the dexterity of say Hakeem Olajuwon in boxing. If he had trained to box and had the heart to fight, he would have been a freak!
    Last edited by p4pking; 05-28-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Updates at work states Cavs trying to hang on still 3rd quarter.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Updates at work states Cavs trying to hang on still 3rd quarter.
    I think the cavs might just do it... it will be tough but i am sure they can hold onto their 21 point lead over the last 4 minutes :S

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I rag on the Pelicans and Bryce dejean is shot dead today Early on sounds like he kicked in some ones door

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I rag on the Pelicans and Bryce dejean is shot dead today Early on sounds like he kicked in some ones door
    I just saw the headlines. Sad

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Basketball was the only sport I ever played much, used to watch a lot but stopped forever, have been following the last couple rounds of the playoffs this year. Raps-Cavs game just started, hoping Toronto wins but thinking they go home.
    Have always thought that if the intangibles were there, some of the great big men in the NBA would have been terrifying HW boxers. The balance and mechanics actually aren't all that different, I don't think there's ever been a guy nearly as big who had half the dexterity of say Hakeem Olajuwon in boxing. If he had trained to box and had the heart to fight, he would have been a freak!
    Kareem's sky hook was brilliant! Such finesse for someone so big.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't want to see GSW go though if I'm honest. Looks like OKC choked big time.
    Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

I didn't want to see GSW go though if I'm honest. Looks like OKC choked big time.
    Yup and that's it for that team, they missed their window and now Durant will be off to Boston IMO

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yup and that's it for that team, they missed their window and now Durant will be off to Boston IMO
    Boston Celtics? Are they better than Oaklahoma? I have no idea.

Also - bit of a tricky question but what is the difference between defending against a SG and a SF?
    Offensively, I'm wondering why is KD isn't a SG... So it must be for defensive reasons ().
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 06-01-2016 at 01:52 AM.
    Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

Boston Celtics? Are they better than Oaklahoma? I have no idea.

Also - bit of a tricky question but what is the difference between defending against a SG and a SF?
    Offensively, I'm wondering why is KD isn't a SG... So it must be for defensive reasons ().
    The Boston Celtics have a longer more storied history than the Oklahoma City Thunder (formerly the Seattle Super Sonics). The Celtics also have the best young brain in the game as Head Coach in Brad Stevens (he's just 39). He's overseen the rebuilding of the Celtics franchise post "Big 3" (Garnett, Pierce, Allen) and he's taken the team from the cellar 25-57 in the '13-'14 season to the playoffs the very next season with a 40-42 record and they went to the playoffs again with a record of 48-34 this season and all this without a real superstar on the team.

As for defending a SG vs a SF it depends on the kinds of players and style of play a coach uses. Some coaches like to play the traditional 1 Center, 2 forwards, 2 guards other coaches opt to go 2 forwards and 3 guards and it depends on what kind of talent you have on the team. Kevin Durant is tall, he's 6'9 but he's not muscular enough to play in the post he's what you would call a "Swingman" not unlike a football player who could play both on the Wing or as a Striker and that is used to the team's benefit flip flopping those roles during the game to try and get better defensive matchups. The ultimate differences in small forwards and shooting guards is rebounding and perimeter defense.

Notable Small Forwards: James Worthy, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Scottie Pippen, Paul George

Small Forwards also tend to be taller than shooting guards, but it's not necessarily a given for that to be the case.

Thread Information