Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Thoughts on Connor Benn

He's as game as his dad was and seems to have a decent chin too and took some hard punches tonight, he looks tiny at the weight and i do worry about his power, i don't think he's got that natural KO power that Nigel had but the guy he was fighting was a brawler, never been stopped and came to fight.
    That would have done Connor the world of good being in a proper tear up in only his second fight, he needs to stop rushing in and smothering his own work too, at times he was almost face to face and wasting punches, as Jim Watt pointed out when he took a step back and thought about it he was much more effective.
    He's never gonna be in a boring fight thats for sure but i worry when he fights better fighters and can't bang them out like his dad could he has little else to offer, don't think he even threw a jab tonight.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Thoughts on Connor Benn

I don't think he looked any good at all? It was a tear up because he sucks, imo.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just to mention a controversial counter point, in Eubank JR's first few fights he was a bit feather fisted, and I did wonder, now he is a hard hitting fighter. Lets hope the Benn boy improves his delivery.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure now but his Dad was a trainer at my old gym and a few of my old sparring mates have trained and sparred with him. He goes hard all the time, even against noobs. I'm gonna join up again and see for myself. Apparently the old man is still an absolute beast on the pads as well.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is why I don't think he should have been fast tracked onto sky.

People are questioning his power, technique and size after his second pro fight and his 3rd is PPV, it's fucking crazy.

The amount of pressure that he is under must be immense, but I do agree with everyone about the power/technique he has a lot of things to work on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    This is why I don't think he should have been fast tracked onto sky.

People are questioning his power, technique and size after his second pro fight and his 3rd is PPV, it's fucking crazy.

The amount of pressure that he is under must be immense, but I do agree with everyone about the power/technique he has a lot of things to work on.
    I question the quality he's been brought up against as well. If I could pretty much choose anywhere in the world to raise a son in boxing it definitely wouldn't be Sydney.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He is very raw time will tell he is a bit open to counters, if he carries on winning could be a exciting addition to the division.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not impressed with Conor Benn at all and I'm taken into account that this is only his second pro fight and he had a limited amateur career. He's seems to be an emotional fighter. He didno't control the range. The other guy just marched in because he did not respect his power. To be honest unless they have very cautious matchmaking plan. I think he'll struggle to get 12-0

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In fairness to the kid, I do think that a few people may be jumping on him for performances so far. There's no doubt his trainer will be hard at work getting him to work on techniques not to get drawn into that kind of tear-up unless he wants to.

He may never be the kind of world class as Mayweather is, but I don't think we can completely discount him either.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    In fairness to the kid, I do think that a few people may be jumping on him for performances so far. There's no doubt his trainer will be hard at work getting him to work on techniques not to get drawn into that kind of tear-up unless he wants to.

He may never be the kind of world class as Mayweather is, but I don't think we can completely discount him either.

He shows absolutely no ability to avoid such tear ups though. I agree completely he could improve as any novice can, but he shouldn't be getting televised slots if they are serious about turning him into a decent boxer. He has literally everything to work on, and the name recognition isn't really an excuse to fast track him considering. Even Chavez Jr had a bunch of fights before he was on TV, and it probably made the difference between him being pretty good and a tomato can.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post

He shows absolutely no ability to avoid such tear ups though. I agree completely he could improve as any novice can, but he shouldn't be getting televised slots if they are serious about turning him into a decent boxer. He has literally everything to work on, and the name recognition isn't really an excuse to fast track him considering. Even Chavez Jr had a bunch of fights before he was on TV, and it probably made the difference between him being pretty good and a tomato can.
    No doubt he has a lot of work to do if he intends to be a professional boxer, but I don't think we can dispute that he is in entertaining fights so far. Hopefully, those guiding him will start to get him focusing on how to avoid those tear-ups, and how to avoid getting caught.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't get how he can be in a top stable yet get in the ring to be that wild. He does the same in the sparring footage so you would've thought they would knock that out of him (not that I know the fuck about training a fighter).

Him and his dad keep saying he needs to be his own man yet he clearly is trying to be his dad.

Difference is - his dad comes from a London council estate, was in the army, had extensive amateur experience and chilling natural power (at middleweight). Young Benn was born with a silverspoon in his gob.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lots of good replies in this thread. He seems to be lacking technique and power. He looks like he's going to eat a lot of shots as well just with the face first style. I'm not expecting him to do as well as his dad. Maybe more amateur experience then some off grid low key pro fights before the hype started would have been good for him. Might struggle even to get to British title level.
    Last edited by Master; 06-01-2016 at 05:18 AM.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Connor fights like his dad but does not have the punch power to carry it off or be as successful as his dad.

Connor must change his style and add more variety to his game.
    Last edited by Master; 06-01-2016 at 06:31 AM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think you are all being very harsh. Hes only 19 so would expect him to grow and get stronger over the next few years. His dad debut was at 24 or something like that when he already had his man power. I agree he looks raw but I definitely see potential there. With regards him going pro now rather than staying in the amateurs I dont think it was a wise decision regarding his career but there seems to be a bubble in boxing at the moment (particularly in the UK) and he may have seen now the best time to cash in on his name. Someone questioned whether hed make 12-0. He may have made enough money to retire comfortably by then.
    Last edited by Master; 06-04-2016 at 06:31 AM. Reason: bad spelling

Thread Information