Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What were the 80s like?

I feared music from the eighties would infect and ruin music for all time. Fortunately little remnants of eighties music exists. Ha ha heavy metal.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I feared music from the eighties would infect and ruin music for all time. Fortunately little remnants of eighties music exists. Ha ha heavy metal.
    No fan of Bananarama you eh

actually liked those chicks at one point

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

No but I’m a flock of seagulls groupie

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank god there was still some good music being made in the eighties

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Re: What were the 80s like?

Here is how disco effected the Grateful Dead

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't knock the Stones they carried over decades..and decades. I listened to any music I could get my hands on in the early 80's. I remember getting Undercover right next to Talk Talk Talk, a Peter Gabriel and Women and children First for a Bday . Even Jagger tried to adapt to some influences of the time, for a bit.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't knock the Stones they carried over decades..and decades. I listened to any music I could get my hands on in the early 80's. I remember getting Undercover right next to Talk Talk Talk, a Peter Gabriel and Women and children First for a Bday . Even Jagger tried to adapt to some influences of the time, for a bit.
    Yeah no doubt, the dead is well toyed around with the sound on touch of grey. I just think there was a lot of bad music made in the eighties and nineties that I didn’t think would last. Fortunately I was right. As with most things there are exceptions.

Mentioned
    947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The 1980's were different for everyone but for me along with the two-tone revival and BMX's there was the excitement of the Electro Street Sounds Cassettes. A strip of vinyl put down outside your local C and A ( were they all over the UK?) and your Ghetto Blaster and local crews would try out their moves to what became hip hop. Making mega mixes with a double cassette boom box and experiments with synths and recording ended up becoming a huge part of my life both academically and just as a jobbing producer, DJ and Musician. Lots of people dismiss the 80's for music but in many ways it was an amazing decade everything from the birth of Dance and electronic mainstream to Punk, Funk, Reggae, Industrial,Ska,Thrash and Metal bands cherry picking each other and the decades that went before setting up the conditions for Rave Culture, Grunge, Brit-Pop and the more mainstream Indie stuff that dominated the 90's

This one Electro 4 was massive check out Herbie Hancock and RUN DMC at 21:52

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

El Kabong Guest

What's not to like? They did 3 songs for the soundtrack of National Lampoon's Fraternity Vacation, an underrated 80's classic.

Mentioned
    947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Breakdancing and hip hop culture also cemented the growing importance of sportswear as fashion in the UK. Adidas were massive but it also paved the way for Dia Dora , Fila, Sergio Tacchini and a lot of the football 'casuals' culture that followed. Everyone must remember local gangs and football firms wearing them long before Stone Island etc. Rave really helped smash a lot of the bollocks in the 90's and again that and the shoegaze retro guitar led stuff likethe Stone Roses just would not have happened without the 80's , sampling culture and the post punk experiments that brought song writing back to the fore.

Just before the 80's hit over here

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was young, but I consider it the last decade when England was truly English. The music was often not so great due to production, but there was good music. I loved the 90's when it came to music and was lucky enough to be around when great guitar music was back again and I was old enough to delve into the 1970's and before that the 1960's. I will never forget buying Lou Reed's Transformer album on vinyl. Albums need a big cover. I love Lou Reed. I would always go for vinyl and would be perusing those albums for hours at a time. The modern albums were CD, but those vintage albums had to be vinyl. I guess the 90's were my discovery years. I worked all those early hours and was late for school all because I wanted that music. It was more expensive then too! Kids today are spoiled and great music does not sell.

Sorry I am in the wrong decade here. The 1980's? I was young. I guess it was Fraggle Rock and He Man. Bad production even on the good music. England was green and tree less, but I would ride my bike for hours and hours exploring and climb trees and play football to avoid the attention of girls.

Mentioned
    947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I was young, but I consider it the last decade when England was truly English. The music was often not so great due to production, but there was good music. I loved the 90's when it came to music and was lucky enough to be around when great guitar music was back again and I was old enough to delve into the 1970's and before that the 1960's. I will never forget buying Lou Reed's Transformer album on vinyl. Albums need a big cover. I love Lou Reed. I would always go for vinyl and would be perusing those albums for hours at a time. The modern albums were CD, but those vintage albums had to be vinyl. I guess the 90's were my discovery years. I worked all those early hours and was late for school all because I wanted that music. It was more expensive then too! Kids today are spoiled and great music does not sell.

Sorry I am in the wrong decade here. The 1980's? I was young. I guess it was Fraggle Rock and He Man. Bad production even on the good music. England was green and tree less, but I would ride my bike for hours and hours exploring and climb trees and play football to avoid the attention of girls.

You are obsessed.

Can you not post without it being about promoting you racist claptrap?

No

Didn't think so.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only Fools and Horses and how it all was then. That is England for me. I watch that series and that is the England I remember. I never lived in a flat, but the general ambience and the look of the streets. It is lovely. Thankfully I was too young to like Bowie in that decade. I may never have become a fan.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only Fools and Horses is a case in point. It is very English and there is Denzel, Rodney has a thing for Asian birds and has a black friend and they like to have a curry. It is a more homogeneous England though. Does that upset you? I consider it rather English. I am sorry if you are offended by Englishness.

Mentioned
    947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

Thread Information