Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What were the 80s like?

It is true though. The UK was demographically altered forever through decades of open borders. It was a very different England in the 1980's. It is just a demographic reality. It was much more English. Go to London today and it is not the city of the 1980's. John Cleese would argue it is not English.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I was young, but I consider it the last decade when England was truly English. The music was often not so great due to production, but there was good music. I loved the 90's when it came to music and was lucky enough to be around when great guitar music was back again and I was old enough to delve into the 1970's and before that the 1960's. I will never forget buying Lou Reed's Transformer album on vinyl. Albums need a big cover. I love Lou Reed. I would always go for vinyl and would be perusing those albums for hours at a time. The modern albums were CD, but those vintage albums had to be vinyl. I guess the 90's were my discovery years. I worked all those early hours and was late for school all because I wanted that music. It was more expensive then too! Kids today are spoiled and great music does not sell.

Sorry I am in the wrong decade here. The 1980's? I was young. I guess it was Fraggle Rock and He Man. Bad production even on the good music. England was green and tree less, but I would ride my bike for hours and hours exploring and climb trees and play football to avoid the attention of girls.
    I loved Lou reed. That album I think it was magic and loss where he was writing about seeing his friend die of cancer was just an emotional album. Velvet underground, good stuff. IMO nothing is better than good old American blues. Johny Lee Hooker omg I read a book about him and apparently he shot dope everyday for fifty years. He got clean in his 70’s and he was so bad he gave his daughter control of his money and she would only give him enough for a pack of cigarettes. But the talent that man had. Willie Dixon, holy cow. Just so much good music around. Of course I’m a Dylan fanatic whom you said you don’t like but the guy has now been writing and performing for six decades. I think one of his first gigs was opening for John Lee hooker in nyc but I’d need to double check that. So much good music I can go on forever

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I was young, but I consider it the last decade when England was truly English. The music was often not so great due to production, but there was good music. I loved the 90's when it came to music and was lucky enough to be around when great guitar music was back again and I was old enough to delve into the 1970's and before that the 1960's. I will never forget buying Lou Reed's Transformer album on vinyl. Albums need a big cover. I love Lou Reed. I would always go for vinyl and would be perusing those albums for hours at a time. The modern albums were CD, but those vintage albums had to be vinyl. I guess the 90's were my discovery years. I worked all those early hours and was late for school all because I wanted that music. It was more expensive then too! Kids today are spoiled and great music does not sell.

Sorry I am in the wrong decade here. The 1980's? I was young. I guess it was Fraggle Rock and He Man. Bad production even on the good music. England was green and tree less, but I would ride my bike for hours and hours exploring and climb trees and play football to avoid the attention of girls.
    I loved Lou reed. That album I think it was magic and loss where he was writing about seeing his friend die of cancer was just an emotional album. Velvet underground, good stuff. IMO nothing is better than good old American blues. Johny Lee Hooker omg I read a book about him and apparently he shot dope everyday for fifty years. He got clean in his 70’s and he was so bad he gave his daughter control of his money and she would only give him enough for a pack of cigarettes. But the talent that man had. Willie Dixon, holy cow. Just so much good music around. Of course I’m a Dylan fanatic whom you said you don’t like but the guy has now been writing and performing for six decades. I think one of his first gigs was opening for John Lee hooker in nyc but I’d need to double check that. So much good music I can go on forever
    I have about 15 Dylan albums, so I wouldn't say I don't like him. I think he has about 10 albums up there with any others. My wife doesn't like him, but I do. I just think he made his share of albums I am not into during the 1970's and 1980's. Blood on the Tracks was splendid though. The 60'and mid 90's on were sublime. I suppose Dylan is more an aquired taste for some.

A lot of greats went off in the 80's. Bowie, McCartney, Dylan, Young, they just seemed a bit lost. I am glad I wasn't so young during that period. They got the mojo back in the 1990's.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Breakdancing and hip hop culture also cemented the growing importance of sportswear as fashion in the UK. Adidas were massive but it also paved the way for Dia Dora , Fila, Sergio Tacchini and a lot of the football 'casuals' culture that followed. Everyone must remember local gangs and football firms wearing them long before Stone Island etc. Rave really helped smash a lot of the bollocks in the 90's and again that and the shoegaze retro guitar led stuff likethe Stone Roses just would not have happened without the 80's , sampling culture and the post punk experiments that brought song writing back to the fore.

Just before the 80's hit over here

HolyHelz now that's just whack. Ffs it looks like the exact same guy. I feel a serious Run DMC jam circa 86' coming on

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have about 15 Dylan albums, so I wouldn't say I don't like him. I think he has about 10 albums up there with any others. My wife doesn't like him, but I do. I just think he made his share of albums I am not into during the 1970's and 1980's. Blood on the Tracks was splendid though. The 60'and mid 90's on were sublime. I suppose Dylan is more an aquired taste for some.

A lot of greats went off in the 80's. Bowie, McCartney, Dylan, Young, they just seemed a bit lost. I am glad I wasn't so young during that period. They got the mojo back in the 1990's.
    We owe Blood on the tracks to a divorce that really did a number on Dylan but served his fans well. I think idiot wind may be my favorite song on that album. I took my wife to see Dylan, she couldn’t understand a word he sung but she was blown away by the music. He just released that song about Kennedy’s shooting I have a feeling we may get another tour if the wuhan tang calms down or at least another album. Or cd or digital release whatever we do now.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We owe Blood on the tracks to a divorce that really did a number on Dylan but served his fans well. I think idiot wind may be my favorite song on that album. I took my wife to see Dylan, she couldn’t understand a word he sung but she was blown away by the music. He just released that song about Kennedy’s shooting I have a feeling we may get another tour if the wuhan tang calms down or at least another album. Or cd or digital release whatever we do now.
    Oh, another new song released a couple of days too Walrus. So that is two new songs. Yes, I think a new album is there.

Blood on the Tracks is great. I like the more melodic moments, so Simple Twist of Fate is perhaps my favorite. The simple descending chord line, the direct emotion, and that captures me. A few friends went to see him when he came here and I should have gone really. It would have been a last chance and so what if the voice is shot, it is the experience. I used to think when a voice goes one should call it a day, but I now accept that the deal with the devil means that you can never stop until you drop.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh, another new song released a couple of days too Walrus. So that is two new songs. Yes, I think a new album is there.

Blood on the Tracks is great. I like the more melodic moments, so Simple Twist of Fate is perhaps my favorite. The simple descending chord line, the direct emotion, and that captures me. A few friends went to see him when he came here and I should have gone really. It would have been a last chance and so what if the voice is shot, it is the experience. I used to think when a voice goes one should call it a day, but I now accept that the deal with the devil means that you can never stop until you drop.
    But Dylan compensates and writes for his voice. Like McCartney would write if he had a cold or he would scream for hours to get his voice rough. To me Dylan sounds just as good as ever. An interesting fact, Dylan will never play the same song twice. He will change not only lyrics but chord progression. Mathematically speaking he never had to play the same song the same way, ever.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But Dylan compensates and writes for his voice. Like McCartney would write if he had a cold or he would scream for hours to get his voice rough. To me Dylan sounds just as good as ever. An interesting fact, Dylan will never play the same song twice. He will change not only lyrics but chord progression. Mathematically speaking he never had to play the same song the same way, ever.
    To you or me the voice is a tool to convey, but to a lot of people the voice needs to be palatable or even the key component of the song. The voice should perhaps even be beautiful and few could say that about the voice of Dylan. It is a unique voice and his voice and for me that is what matters. You are right, it is about the song and writing for yourself in a way that works for you. I listen to McCartney, especially in his 60's and 70's period and his voice was just so melodic and, Bob just never had that same musicality to his voice. He made his own style with those elongated vowels. Lou Reed too was not a natural signer whence being more and more about phrasing and timing. He would write in a way that would fit for him.

Yes, Magic and Loss is excellent. Reed in that New York to Magic to Twilight Reeling period was so good. So much more consistent than he was in the 1970's. Very solid work.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To you or me the voice is a tool to convey, but to a lot of people the voice needs to be palatable or even the key component of the song. The voice should perhaps even be beautiful and few could say that about the voice of Dylan. It is a unique voice and his voice and for me that is what matters. You are right, it is about the song and writing for yourself in a way that works for you. I listen to McCartney, especially in his 60's and 70's period and his voice was just so melodic and, Bob just never had that same musicality to his voice. He made his own style with those elongated vowels. Lou Reed too was not a natural signer whence being more and more about phrasing and timing. He would write in a way that would fit for him.

Yes, Magic and Loss is excellent. Reed in that New York to Magic to Twilight Reeling period was so good. So much more consistent than he was in the 1970's. Very solid work.
    Miles you keep disagreeing with me or correcting me about Dylan. To me his voice is beauty. I’m beginning to think your argument has racial undertones and beaner was right about you. If master likes this post I know I’m right.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Miles you keep disagreeing with me or correcting me about Dylan. To me his voice is beauty. I’m beginning to think your argument has racial undertones and beaner was right about you. If master likes this post I know I’m right.
    I disagree, but I respect your opinion. Interesting that both Reed and Dylan were Jews though. We should maybe tell Master and get some bonus points.

This is London in 1983 and is just nice. I have always said that when looking at these older videos. The traffic is less, the crowds smaller, and it is just factually more English. There is nothing racist about saying it is nice to see English people in their own capital. I would say the same about Tokyo and the Japanese or Abuja and the Nigerians. It is our culture and should be celebrated rather than frowned on as racist. It is lovely. It is perfect like Dylan's voice is to you Walrus.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"This has made me cry, I was born in the east end in early fifties, it’s was tough but everyone was the same, poor but we all pulled together and got through. My heart cries for what it’s become. Very sad" - Christina.

"I'm a Londoner born and bred and still live here because of work and looking after my elderly dad and I hate how this city has changed ; I feel like a stranger in my own city and I no longer recognise it nor love anymore" - Gary.

"Went to London from South Africa in 1997 for one year. I was 19 years old and I loved it. Went back In 2003 for another year and immediately picked up that things changed. Going to visit London In 2019, scared to see what they did to thecity that gave me so much and that I love... Regards from South Africa. - Erick.

"Once English occupied loads of other countries and robbed their wealth . Now it's time to repay" - Raja.

"All these nostalgia blinded brits in the comments. This was 1 of the worst times for Britain. And when the IRA was more dangerous than Islamic terrorists" - AJ.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"This has made me cry, I was born in the east end in early fifties, it’s was tough but everyone was the same, poor but we all pulled together and got through. My heart cries for what it’s become. Very sad" - Christina.

"I'm a Londoner born and bred and still live here because of work and looking after my elderly dad and I hate how this city has changed ; I feel like a stranger in my own city and I no longer recognise it nor love anymore" - Gary.

"Went to London from South Africa in 1997 for one year. I was 19 years old and I loved it. Went back In 2003 for another year and immediately picked up that things changed. Going to visit London In 2019, scared to see what they did to thecity that gave me so much and that I love... Regards from South Africa. - Erick.

"Once English occupied loads of other countries and robbed their wealth . Now it's time to repay" - Raja.

"All these nostalgia blinded brits in the comments. This was 1 of the worst times for Britain. And when the IRA was more dangerous than Islamic terrorists" - AJ.
    Can’t speak to it personally of course but I here similar things from the watch crowd. England purchases a larger percentage of Rolex, omega etc than the US. I think it is more of a status symbol in England than the us or maybe the British just like nice watches. Whatever the case may be I hear some British watch enthusiasts lament similar situations you echo here. I still have plans on visiting Scotland although we haven’t talked about it in a while. If everybody could just chill and get along maybe so many wouldn’t feel so strongly about this. Either way I would love to see London if things work out.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was reading through the comments and find it quite sad. It is definitely different to today. A factual observation and not as English. I feel it whenever I return home. It is just a factual observation of how the 80's were different and demographics are a huge factor. For it to be good or bad is another debate but it is different. Nobody can deny the differences.

Thread Information