Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hobson offers Warren £100,000 side bet on Woods v Calzaghe

Hobson issues £100,000 side bet to lure Calzaghe

By Clive Bernath: Dennis Hobson, the promoter of IBF light-heavyweight king Clinton Woods, has offered a £100,000 side bet to rival promoter Frank Warren in an attempt to lure IBF/WBO super-middleweight king Joe Calzaghe into an all British world title fight.

Speaking to SecondsOut earlier today Fight Academy boss Dennis Hobson said he is willing to put his money where his mouth is in an attempt to provide British boxing fans with the biggest and most eagerly awaited domestic fight since the ferocious and bitter clashes between Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank in the early 1990s.

"I fancy the fight, I know Clinton does and I believe both Joe and his father Enzo do as well so now its only up to Frank Warren to say yes," said a confident Dennis Hobson.

"This is a natural fight between two of the biggest names in British boxing and I'm willing to issue a side bet of £100,000. I'm willing to put the fight on or we'll do a joint promotion but there is no excuse for this fight not to happen.

"Calzaghe vs Woods would be a pay per view success. It would be like Nigel Benn vs Chris Eubank all over again. This fight makes perfect sense and both Joe and Clinton would make a lot of money.

"I'm willing to put £100,000 on Clinton winning, and lets face it, with Joe looking so good in beating Jeff lacy, there's no reason why Frank should not take up the challenge."

Woods and Calzaghe were due to face each other after Woods dropped a unanimous decision to American Glen Johnson in 2004. Dennis Hobson said that he had signed a contract to fight Calzaghe on a Frank Warren promoted card but Calzaghe was instead steered towards defending his WBO super-middleweight crown.

Then when Woods won the vacant IBF light-heavyweight crown by stopping favored American Rico Hoye little over a year later Calzaghe again announced his desire to step up a division and challenge the new champion. Woods. though, having previously been snubbed was not in the mood to allow the undefeated Welshman to dictate terms to him, especially as he was the one with arguably the more prestigious title.

Following a couple of routine WBO title defences Calzaghe finally produced the goods with a highly impressive 12 round destruction of American powerhouse Jeff Lacy earlier this month to capture the prestigious IBF super-middleweight crown and swing the bargaining momentum back in his favour.

Woods vs Calzaghe would indeed be a fascinating pairing and one not only British fight fans would want to see but I'm not sure even the lure of a £100,000 side bet will be enough to make it happen.

Firstly £100,000 to thes two is probably like your average man having cheeky fiver on it, but saying that i think Hobson would be £100,000 lighter if this happens. Also i wouldnt exactly call it the most eagerly awaited British match up since Eubank v Benn. I would much rather see Hatton v Witter.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hobson offers Warren £100,000 side bet on Woods v Calzaghe

I really like Clinton Woods, but he would be in way over his head.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i found the photo of them holding the cheque pretty funny ...

http://www.saddoboxing.com/3007-boxi...-calzaghe.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Hobson and predictions don't go to well together if i remember correctly, his prediction for Hatton-Tyszu and Lacy-Calzaghe, were early KO'S for both losers.

Calzaghe dominates Woods similar to Lacy i go for TKO 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe would be to much for Woods to handle, i fancy a stoppage around the 8th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The £100,000 bet is a marketing ploy, thats all it is plain and simple, these two make me laugh W

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry i'll finish!!

They make me laugh , Woods didn't want anything to do with Calzaghe when he won his World Title but now Calzaghe has the exposure and the praise from left right and centre Woods wants some, boxing it can be such a fickle game!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think woods could win this one, altho i woould favor joe, but not by the mile many seem to

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983
    Sorry i'll finish!!

They make me laugh , Woods didn't want anything to do with Calzaghe when he won his World Title but now Calzaghe has the exposure and the praise from left right and centre Woods wants some, boxing it can be such a fickle game!!
    Hasn't Woods been calling out Joe for years ... im sure when he was fighting on the BBC a few years back he was talking about how he would love to fight him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Saddo
    i found the photo of them holding the cheque pretty funny ...

http://www.saddoboxing.com/3007-boxi...-calzaghe.html
    "Laaa-deeee-dah...I just happened to have this photo lying around of these two bone heads with this gargantuan sized check by my nightstand."

It's good to be the king...huh boss?

What kills me is this...they actually think that this fight will compare to Benn Eubank?
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Truthfully...I'd rather see Joe fight Woods instead of Jones Jr.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would also prefer to see Calzaghe face Woods than Roy Jones, but I don't see it happening. I think (and I hope) Warren stays on ITV, without a pay per view, it's proven to be a big success so far, going back to pay per view at sky is a massive backwards step.
    Saying this, Hobson is unlikely to want the fight on Warren's terms therefore IMO the fight won't happen. It's up to the Woods camp now to make the concessions IMO since Calzaghe is the most highly regarded of the two. Calzaghe's got a firm date and venue in the summer (and on ITV), if Hobson is genuine he needs to do everything to get Woods there.

Calzaghe UD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Saddo
    Quote Originally Posted by skel1983
    Sorry i'll finish!!

Hasn't Woods been calling out Joe for years ... im sure when he was fighting on the BBC a few years back he was talking about how he would love to fight him
    Yes that's right Saddo, i mean when Woods won his IBF title last year and Calzaghe wasnt up to much at the time, it was Calzaghe who wanted Woods and Woods was saying i dont need Clazaghe, so it has flipped and changed about three times now, it makes me laugh.

Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

got ya

still wouldn't mind seeing this fight and witter hatton

Thread Information