Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo vs Liam Smith set.

I was wondering if there has been a worse HBO PPV?

I have never even seen Smith fight which means most fans haven't unless you are British most likely. Canelo may not even be the best at his weight. He could potentially be 4th best. This would be a fine boxing after dark main event or even a good undercard. It's nowhere near a PPV main event status.

Maybe some Mexicans are dumb enough to buy it because canelo is their best fighter but hopefully Americans aren't that stupid.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saw they have Luis Ortiz vs UStinov on as well. Decent but should be a blow out for Ortiz. If they don't put a couple of serious fights on there as well then it's an horrible PPV card agreed.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Saw they have Luis Ortiz vs UStinov on as well. Decent but should be a blow out for Ortiz. If they don't put a couple of serious fights on there as well then it's an horrible PPV card agreed.
    Has canelo not fought ppv since being champ?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His last two fights have been PPV for sure, can't remember about the few before that. The undercard for the Khan fight was hurting as well, so I guess this is the format

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    His last two fights have been PPV for sure, can't remember about the few before that. The undercard for the Khan fight was hurting as well, so I guess this is the format
    They are really scraping the barrel with his ppv fights then.

Yest you have Thurman v Porter free tv. Thank you Al Haymon we appreciate your endeavours.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Talking now that it'll be regular HBO. Still a wuss though

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this is a quality match up!! It's not PPV for sure because of Smith being Unknown to the masses. But the people who actually know Liam and how good of a boxer and a tough lad he is, we know this will be a great match up. I've been to three of Liam's fights recently and his last fight although it was easy he ended him in clinical style. Listening to the interviews before hand all the boxers were saying how sharp and switched on he was for this fight, just warming up on the pads you could see that Liam meant the business. Frank warren had told him he could deliver this fight and he has and full credit to Frank for doing that!

Liam needs this break to show his level and he's big for the weight and can get inside and has a good defence. If people think this will be a walkover they will be surprised, I'm expecting a good competitive match up and I'm rooting for Liam all the way!!! He will do better than Khan I can promise you that

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    I think this is a quality match up!! It's not PPV for sure because of Smith being Unknown to the masses. But the people who actually know Liam and how good of a boxer and a tough lad he is, we know this will be a great match up. I've been to three of Liam's fights recently and his last fight although it was easy he ended him in clinical style. Listening to the interviews before hand all the boxers were saying how sharp and switched on he was for this fight, just warming up on the pads you could see that Liam meant the business. Frank warren had told him he could deliver this fight and he has and full credit to Frank for doing that!

Liam needs this break to show his level and he's big for the weight and can get inside and has a good defence. If people think this will be a walkover they will be surprised, I'm expecting a good competitive match up and I'm rooting for Liam all the way!!! He will do better than Khan I can promise you that
    Hope you're right Tam, if Liam turns him over then that would be a groundshaking result.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Liam has more of a chance to beat Canelo than Hatton, Ryan and Khan. That is for sure.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Well if true i think he should just drop the belt at 160 and fight at 154 which is fine with me if thats the weight class he chooses to fight at but he needs to make up his mind. I still do not get how he gains so much weight i have seen him in person he is not a very big dude.
    he already has given up the wbc belt, shame the fight with golovkin didnt happen but I think fighting cotto and khan as his two "middleweight" title fights is not proper preparation to take on golovkin. If golovkin is taking on eubank jr next and canelo v smith, then maybe they are trying to build up a uk fanbase for a potential golovkin v canelo fight.. Canelo certainly needs some fights v real middleweights before he takes on golovkin though in my opinion.
    I think that is wishful thinking, Eubank Jr yeah maybe, Smith on the otherhand is not known outside of boxing fans, Callum is probably a bigger name and its Liam that has the world title, if anything a Canelo v Smith fight will raise Smith's profile in England and not old ginger flaps
    that's true but it also doesn't take much for british fans to get behind a fighter from blighty, maybe it won't raise alvarezs profile that much but it'll do something for him..

Canelo Alvarez could fight Billy Joe Saunders after Liam Smith - Boxing News

Bill joe saunders for alvarez if he beats smith..

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well if true i think he should just drop the belt at 160 and fight at 154 which is fine with me if thats the weight class he chooses to fight at but he needs to make up his mind. I still do not get how he gains so much weight i have seen him in person he is not a very big dude.
    he already has given up the wbc belt, shame the fight with golovkin didnt happen but I think fighting cotto and khan as his two "middleweight" title fights is not proper preparation to take on golovkin. If golovkin is taking on eubank jr next and canelo v smith, then maybe they are trying to build up a uk fanbase for a potential golovkin v canelo fight.. Canelo certainly needs some fights v real middleweights before he takes on golovkin though in my opinion.
    I think that is wishful thinking, Eubank Jr yeah maybe, Smith on the otherhand is not known outside of boxing fans, Callum is probably a bigger name and its Liam that has the world title, if anything a Canelo v Smith fight will raise Smith's profile in England and not old ginger flaps
    that's true but it also doesn't take much for british fans to get behind a fighter from blighty, maybe it won't raise alvarezs profile that much but it'll do something for him..

Canelo is fighting a lot of Brits, are we cheap or just unknown that Saul can sell it to the public?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HHmmmmmmmm I'm not too sure about that, the Brits have a habit of backing against their own, Khan started off as a hype job and people soon turned against him, Hatton was the people hero up until the end, AJ is the current flavour of the month (if he takes a shot on the jaw and goes down people will soon lose interest in him)

unless you are a superstar the brits pretty much ignore boxers in my opinion, added to that it is on boxnation so it won't have the massive promotion that sky normally put up.

as I say I think that Smith will benefit from the fight (publicitywise) in the UK more than Ginger flaps

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

as I say I think that Smith will benefit from the fight (publicitywise) in the UK more than Ginger flaps
    I agree with that but I think it will benefit canelo too, not huge amount but they seem to be planning for the golovkin fight a year from now so one step at a time, take on this smith fellow then bjs, I think those two fights will certainly raise his profile in blighty if he performs well. Golovkin taking on eubank too, in my opinion this is a bit much to be a coincidence, britain is a pretty large market and has a lot of money, ggg and canelo seem to already have the north american market tied up, so I think this is what they are doing here, maybe they are maybe I'm wrong, whatever, if these fights happen I would like to see them all. GGG v eubank jr will be interesting and if canelo can beat another champion and then go and fight bjs that would make for good fights too... Obviously it would have been far better if golovkin and canelo were up next but unfortunatley it just isnt happening :S

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nobody is supporting fighters financially like the UK right now. That's why you have so many belts from guys that are considered the weakest belt holder in X division or Y division. USA used to corner the market on weakest belt holders, or Puerto Rico or Mexico because they supported their fighters so well. If you make money you will get a belt.

You are doing well at the top of the game as well right now but you have to see how many soft seats the UK has right now.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotta hand it to Canelo and his team, who are nothing if not extremely shrewd.

Fight UK favorite Liam Smith at 154.... sneak up to 160 (without GGG noticing) to fight Saunders.... then choose from any of a series of undersized or underpowered potential opponents, while GGG continues to wait on the marinating table.

Too bad there aren't a few more Khans (high profile, undersized, weak-chinned, too-gutsy-for-their-own-good) for Canelo to score devastating KO's against. I'm sure Team Canelo is working overtime to dredge some up. Gotta count on at least a 20 pound advantage on fight night no matter who the opponent, though. Too bad Porter went and lost to Thurman, thus ruining THAT potential fight.

How long till GGG turns 40?

Thread Information