Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you think about Muay Thai?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How do you think about Muay Thai?

How do you think about Muay Thai?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How do you think about Muay Thai?

With my brain

It's a good tough system but like anything else only as good as the person doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive been doing muay thai for a while and i train with about 6-10 guys who each train different styles and the muay thai leg kicks drive them nuts. also, its very easy to pick up if you already box western style. you use mostly the same puches so all you have to do is learn to kick, clinch, and fight with a little different style...upright and lean back to avioid leg kicks, don't get low ect. oh yeah the clinching is bad ass too. especially if you learn a few throws so you can set up strikes and throw/takedown applications from the same type of clinch. its very cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've done some Muay Thai as well, it's really fun and an incredible workout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Muay Thai is a very simple and deadly system ant thats the beauty Thai leg kicks will stop just about any one in there tracks not to mention knee strikes elbows and the shin hardening routine is intense it is a staple of my Jeet Kune Do as well as my MMA training

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if I was going to suggest just one striking discipline for someone to study it would be Muay Thai
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree from the martial arts perspective it is the hardest full contact there is.

Over all and on average it breeds the toughest fighters because of it.

We went to Krabi in the early 80's for a tournament and Im not sure if things have changed in Thialand or not but although they are allowed to elbow and also are allowed to hold ,they dont combine the two and for instance: say ,,punch,slip around the head,grab the back of the head and elbow with the other arm as you pull the head into it.
    They laughed and just nodded when I suggested it to them
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i never knew they used to not incorporate the clinching and elbos, but i can tell you we do it all the time. as a matter of fact, i've seen older pictures of thai boxers clinching and throwing elbos, so maybe it was just a regional thing.
    but thats intuitive of you to see the usefulness of elbowing in a clinch, and believe me it's effective
    another interesting instance of giving an elbo, just in case you might be amused, is when you have them in a two handed neck clinch and they naturally want the inside so they try to snake on hand inside to the back of your neck. on the way, you quickly let go of their neck and grab their hand, and while you have their hand you rotate that elbow right up into their temple.
    i do that a lot but its awsome to watch when someone really good does it.
    i guess im getting off topic so... Muay Thai's Great!!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah i seen them older ones clinch and throw a elbow too,but not pull a head into a elbow shot.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watch guys like Wanderlei Silva and Chuck Liddel and as bad ass as they are at striking, I'm still far more impressed with the striking accuracy, power and efficiency of boxers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chuck Liddell and Fedor both drive me crazy. They have such bad form with the loopy power punches all the time, but theyre so crazily effective. It drives me insane.

That aside, I have mixed feelings about Muay Thai. It's definately crazy effective, especially in the clinch with the elbows and knees. And their leg kicks are wicked effective, too. However, the one thing I've really noticed is that most Muay Thai fighters can't really punch worth a damn. Some of the best Thai fighters I've seen have a boxing background.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree. I've never been impressed with the striking of Muay Thai guys. Although pound for pound Liddel throws as hard a stright right as anyone out there. That's why I opted to join a boxing gym. Anyone can kick a shin or clinch the back of a head and lift a knee. But not everyone can throw effective left and right hooks, or proper crisp, quick jabs. And few can effectively bob and weave, slip and catch punches. That's also a huge part of why I opted to box...the defense is amazing. They're so tough to hit.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

they aren't tough to hit once you've done a double leg take down and in the full mount....or once you've closed the distance got in a thai clinch now are they?...boxing is great and everything you learn through it will be helpful but always remember its a very one dimensional combat sport. if you figure most "real world" fights happen in a much more closed in space than a ring you better have something else other than a great jab and head movement when your opponent bulls you into a corner.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats why God invented the judo chop!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    they aren't tough to hit once you've done a double leg take down and in the full mount....or once you've closed the distance got in a thai clinch now are they?...boxing is great and everything you learn through it will be helpful but always remember its a very one dimensional combat sport. if you figure most "real world" fights happen in a much more closed in space than a ring you better have something else other than a great jab and head movement when your opponent bulls you into a corner.
    A) The same could be said for muay thai guys. They're stand-up too. B) Pretty nice dimension though.

I also think it's easier to become skilled in a thai clinch or a leg kick than the sweet science of boxing. For the clinch, I think a judo throw would be kick-ass. Can't remember who said it, but throw someone to the concrete and they aint getting up.

Thread Information