Thread: Eduard Gutknecht rushed to hospital after defeat to George Groves

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eduard Gutknecht rushed to hospital after defeat to George Groves

George Groves has sent a message of support to Eduard Gutknecht after he was rushed to hospital following the pair's fight.

Gutknecht was badly beaten in the WBA International Super-Middleweight contest, which he lost via a unanimous points decision at Wembley Arena.

The 34-year-old collapsed in his dressing room after the fight and was rushed into the back of an ambulance on a stretcher.

Concerned by the news, Groves has taken to Twitter to send a message of good will to Gutknecht.

He said: "Out of respect to Eduard Gutknecht and his family's privacy I don't want to say too much but we were all deeply concerned to hear that he was taken to hospital after the fight last night.

"I sincerely hope it is nothing too serious and I would liek to send out all of my support and best wishes to him and his family at this difficult time."

Gutknecht needed resuscitating in the emergency vehicle after he “briefly stopped breathing and was drifting in and out of consciousness”.

It is being reported by The Sun that Gutknecht had to undergo emergency surgery on Friday night.

It is understood that he is now sedated and will continue to be monitored in the coming days in a neurological unit at St Mary’s hospital in west London - the same hospital Nick Blackwell was treated at.

Blackwell, 26, was forced to retire after his defeat by Chris Eubank Jnr - at the same arena - left him in a medically-induced coma before he was forced to retire after recovering a month later.

Groves' trainer, and son of Mirror Sport columnist Barry McGuigan Shane McGuigan, meanwhile, led the well-wishes on Twitter as he prayed for a speedy recovery for the German.

He posted: "Thoughts are with Eduard Gutknecht after tonight's fight."

WBA featherweight champion Carl Frampton also sent his well wishes to Gutknecht on social media.

He said: "Thoughts are with Eduard Gutknecht tonight. Really hope he's ok."

Gutknecht’s troubles, coming so soon after the death of Scotland’s Mike Towell, could once again ignite calls for boxing to be banned.

The right was won by Groves by a unanimous points decision, with one judge scoring the fight 119-110 in his favour, and two calling it 119-109.

The Saint has won his last four fights since losing his world title opportunities against Carl Froch and Badou Jack respectively.

The Londoner was in confident mood at Wembley Arena, and hurt his opponent with a couple of blows to the head in the fourth round.

Gutknecht's eye was cut in the 10th round, however the limited challenger proved unwilling to crumble, making it through the full 12 rounds.

"I am very happy with how I fought, it went exactly to plan," Groves told Channel 5. "I set a great tempo and busted him up badly. I am surprised he made it to the bell - Gutknecht is a tough character.

"We want real, big, proper fights. There was no world title on the line, but we knew Gutknecht was going to give me a tough fight."

Groves is now keen to fight for a world title, and admits he fancies another crack at Jack, who meets another Brit, James DeGale, in January.

"[This win] will push me on for a world title fight and, ideally, I would love a rematch with Badou Jack."

George Groves sends message of support to Eduard Gutknecht after German was rushed to hospital
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find it pretty disturbing that after something like this tragically happens, everyone is after a scapegoat. "The corner, the ref, The fans," . The harsh reality is that Boxing is an extremely tough sport and at the top there are Extremely tough guys. Unfortunately, there are always going to be isolated incidents like this.
    But one thing we can say to the credit of Boxing in the UK, is that the authorities have done and continue to do as much as they possibly can to make the sport as safe as possible.
    I truly don't wish to be blasé or disrespectful to Eduard Gutnknecht's family, and obviously as with everybody else I really hope he makes a full recovery. I just don't like how we hang people out to dry.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I blame the fans, we should all be banned!

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I find it pretty disturbing that after something like this tragically happens, everyone is after a scapegoat. "The corner, the ref, The fans," . The harsh reality is that Boxing is an extremely tough sport and at the top there are Extremely tough guys. Unfortunately, there are always going to be isolated incidents like this.
    But one thing we can say to the credit of Boxing in the UK, is that the authorities have done and continue to do as much as they possibly can to make the sport as safe as possible.
    I truly don't wish to be blasé or disrespectful to Eduard Gutnknecht's family, and obviously as with everybody else I really hope he makes a full recovery. I just don't like how we hang people out to dry.
    I think it's alright to pass opinion on who you thought should have stopped it and when but actually blaming someone for it is wrong, no one wants to see a fighter injured and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Three are Three too many in UK Boxing

“Thoughts are with Eduard Gutknecht after tonight’s fight,” Tweeted Groves’ trainer Shane McGuigan.

"Out of respect to Eduard Gutknecht and his family's privacy I don't want to say too much but we were all deeply concerned to hear that he was taken to hospital after the fight last night.--Groves

Super-middleweight contender George Groves busted up tough and game Eduard Gutknecht over 12 one-sided rounds by scores of 119-110 and 119-109 (twice) . Gutknecht - born in Kazakhstan but fighting out of Germany –became distressed in his dressing room after the fight and was rushed to a hospital via ambulance and eventually operated on. Reportedly, Gutknecht needed resuscitating in the emergency vehicle after he
    “briefly stopped breathing and was drifting in and out of consciousness”.

After learning of Gutknecht’s condition, Groves cancelled plans to discuss his performance at a post-fight press conference reflecting the solemnity of the situation

Ironically, at the very same venue last March, English middleweight Nick Blackwell collapsed at the end of his TKO loss to Chris Eubank Jr. He suffered bleeding on his skull and was treated at the same nearby hospital and fortunately recovered, but he will never box again.

Then, in September, Scottish welterweight Mike Towell died just hours after losing to Dale Evans in Glasgow. He too had suffered severe bleeding and swelling to his brain.

Back in March 2013, Brit boxer Michael Norgove was taken ill his sixth fight of his career, after two years away from the sport and later died of brain hemorrhage.

And let’s not forget Chris Henry, Spencer Oliver, Paul Ingle, Rod Douglass, and Michael Watson,

While the win will position “The Saint” for still another crack at a world title, the implications of the fight could again initiate calls for boxing to be
    banned. At some point it might be sage to look at the rather obvious common threads in these tragedies, as there are many.

This also might be appropriate:
    http://news.sky.com/story/handheld-scanners-could-detect-brain-bleeds-and-save-boxers-lives-10621785

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Thread Information