Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the best way to have fights scored fairly?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What's the best way to have fights scored fairly?

there have been many good ideas over the years but the boxing community refuses to do anything, a judge with a really bad card should be interviewd live immediately following fighter interviews to explain themselves. the commisions need to start holding judges accountable for their bad cards. i like the idea of five cards, three judges cards, an average from assigned press row judges & an ai card. throw out the widest card & the closest card & use the other three
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great brainstorms here on an issue we as fans have watched red faced on too many occasions. I don't know about more cards and it may not address the bottom line 800lb gorilla in the room...corruption and the wide swath of random subjectivity. As Tito says there really is no clear definition, guidelines and reinforced adherence to what judging is in the first place. It's a crapshoot on interpretation barring clear obvious wobbles and kds.

Always thought putting a literal face on judges would help. Accountability! Literally stand them ring center same as the ref upon introduction and maybe even at the time of cards being read. May sound a little simplistic but loved when HBO would put a face on judges. And they did a rundown prefight of bigger fights judged. Not a thing wrong with honest scrutiny when an official is in the role of deciding a fighters immediate and long-term career and livelihood.

Another random thing that bugs the old fan in me...the carefree and constant discussion of live betting odds done by the actual network commentators. I know I'm dating myself and online betting is massive now but ffs it's literally in the face of all ringside officials, fighters and anyone within eye or earshot. Happens in live time onscreen, pre fight, between rounds, post fight and seems the most basic temptation in what we all know is, once again, a largely corrupt sport.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I went to put a bet on a boxing match and the owner said the sport is corrupt. He refused to take my money.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have always thought that for the amateur's, at least, we should find a way to make specialized gloves with sensors that can count the amount of punches that land on an opponent. I know there is A LOT to work out with something like that, but it is worth putting our brains around.

Also, I think there is a time now for instant replay in boxing altogether, pros and ams. For draws we should go back to instant replay and count each blow, or use a system for judging ALL ASPECTS of the round- from aggression to running and not fighting to how many punches did land for each fighter.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let Dan Raphael score every single fight and give it to the other person. Again not perfect, but the win percentage would be overwhelming.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information