Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Politically Correct Thread

Why not?

We talk about anything and everything, so... it's probably time for a PC thread.

You go into the Internet and you can find boo-coo articles on PC, both for and against. The truth is that it's yet another topic/issue taken to the extremes by those who have a certain agenda to push. There are those who take PC to a ridiculous extreme, and give the "anti-PC" crowd all the more ammunition to use when firing back. From what I've read, it seems college campuses nowadays are rife with PC bullshit. Damn... I'm glad I didn't study during this time period. Found an article on the Net that I had to read twice... so incredulous were some of the things being said and done at some campuses. If true, it's a troubling fact about the upcoming generations. On the other hand, it's equally true that the other extreme uses PC as a weapon... an accusation... a ridicule. An objection is raised at a clear, offensive, insulting comment..... and it's "Oh, those PC morons" or..... "Oh that PC brigade". It's a blank check and/or licence to go about life with a double-barreled shotgun, wiping out anybody that gets in your way. I called some black guy the "n-word" in anger and he didn't like it? Well fuck that PC, overly sensitive bastard.

Here's a thought. Screw labels like PC. How about good, old fashioned words like "common sense"....... "human decency"....... "decorum". How about those? Things were simpler back in the old days. For one, you didn't have to walk around with a PC-approved dictionary before opening your mouth. Imagine..... in one article I read you have some people who say the word "homosexual" is offensive. They'd rather you said "Same Gender Loving". What in the name of fuck is that?!? If anything, PC-extremism threatens to overly-lengthen sentences in the English language. The word "crazy" should also be stricken from the dictionary. On the other hand, the other day some woman in West Virginia who ran a non-profit organization was either fired or resigned after calling Michelle Obama "an ape in heels". Is there anyone that would dismiss any outrage over that as just PC crybaby shit? I certainly hope not. Why? Because of (ahem) common sense. Anyone who would defend something like that by invoking the 1st Amendment I'd probably tell them to go fuck themselves.

So basically those are my two cents about PC.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Politically Correct Thread

Calling everything left as PC is lazy and the sensational nature of news makes me angry that PC is blamed for all the ills in society.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't disagree with you. But it makes me angry to see so many people hurt the cause by taking it to ridiculous extremes. As with all controversial subject matters, the extremists muddle the issue and make it harder for anybody to reach intelligent consensus.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I don't disagree with you. But it makes me angry to see so many people hurt the cause by taking it to ridiculous extremes. As with all controversial subject matters, the extremists muddle the issue and make it harder for anybody to reach intelligent consensus.
    I have also seen people deliberately sabotage good policies, considered PC because they want them to fail.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest PC people have no common sense .
    Because being PC makes know common sense what so ever.
    They live there life watching there PS & Q's chastising everybody who don't agree with there fucking drivel.
    Common desense people crave respect but don't show any I see it everyday.
    Common sense most people lack it again I see it everyday.
    In my line of work I see all of the above everyday.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Opening post was too long, got bored, didn't read.
    may revisit it tomorrow

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    may revisit it tomorrow

I'll be sitting on pins and needles awaiting your response.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

may revisit it tomorrow
    How utterly fucking politically incorrect. You probably voted for Trump.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is where I side more with the right despite being a leftist type. I think people should be free to say what they like in the freemarket of ideas. As long as it doesn't become violent or actually hurt someone I don't think it is an issue. You can be sensitive though and I think many have the ability to be so, but at the same time when it leads to an old man like Steve Martin being harrassed for something completely harmless. Well, the PC crowd are the ones being insensitive and needlessly cruel.

On the whole in my day to day life, I self moderate and I am probably quite politically correct because I don't actually want to upset anyone, but put me in with a friend or someone I feel comfortable with and I will say anything for a laugh or prod. I can be the sophist jester king supreme. I find it harder to be provocative now I don't drink. Anything went with old Reggie.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 12-31-2016 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Not PC enough!

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

may revisit it tomorrow

I'll be sitting on pins and needles awaiting your response.
    How totally fucking politically correct! You probably voted for Clinton.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And who could be more of a Kyongi Shill? You just cant make this stuff up mate. Here we are on a PC thread and you are off on 800 km monstrosities, all the while shilling for hoity-toity juniors in miniskirts listening to Super Junior. I mean what the fuck.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why not?

We talk about anything and everything, so... it's probably time for a PC thread.

You go into the Internet and you can find boo-coo articles on PC, both for and against. The truth is that it's yet another topic/issue taken to the extremes by those who have a certain agenda to push. There are those who take PC to a ridiculous extreme, and give the "anti-PC" crowd all the more ammunition to use when firing back. From what I've read, it seems college campuses nowadays are rife with PC bullshit. Damn... I'm glad I didn't study during this time period. Found an article on the Net that I had to read twice... so incredulous were some of the things being said and done at some campuses. If true, it's a troubling fact about the upcoming generations. On the other hand, it's equally true that the other extreme uses PC as a weapon... an accusation... a ridicule. An objection is raised at a clear, offensive, insulting comment..... and it's "Oh, those PC morons" or..... "Oh that PC brigade". It's a blank check and/or licence to go about life with a double-barreled shotgun, wiping out anybody that gets in your way. I called some black guy the "n-word" in anger and he didn't like it? Well fuck that PC, overly sensitive bastard.

Here's a thought. Screw labels like PC. How about good, old fashioned words like "common sense"....... "human decency"....... "decorum". How about those? Things were simpler back in the old days. For one, you didn't have to walk around with a PC-approved dictionary before opening your mouth. Imagine..... in one article I read you have some people who say the word "homosexual" is offensive. They'd rather you said "Same Gender Loving". What in the name of fuck is that?!? If anything, PC-extremism threatens to overly-lengthen sentences in the English language. The word "crazy" should also be stricken from the dictionary. On the other hand, the other day some woman in West Virginia who ran a non-profit organization was either fired or resigned after calling Michelle Obama "an ape in heels". Is there anyone that would dismiss any outrage over that as just PC crybaby shit? I certainly hope not. Why? Because of (ahem) common sense. Anyone who would defend something like that by invoking the 1st Amendment I'd probably tell them to go fuck themselves.

So basically those are my two cents about PC.
    I have to agree with most of the above. I am as guilty as anyone else in not wanting to give ground when the debate gets so polarised. I have always been something of a sh*t stirrer Devil's Advocate but it has got beyond ridiculousness now.

So yes absolutely there, has and continues to be, a load of nonsense spouted by people using the PC thing as an excuse to be an arse. This has been the case for years, it's not just something brought in with the first Black President. The recent US election though was very revealing in that it seemed that many people were over compensating. So you had some people ( and I don't really include anyone on this forum here) clearly using the fact that Obama was black and Clinton was a woman, to pretend that nobody would notice if they used that fact to sneak in a few ignorant remarks or even openly say racist and mysogonistic things they would never have said before, knowing they could use the PC thing as an excuse should they be confronted by anyone on it.

Conversely there were also many on the Clinton side who like the Trump supporters have made abundantly clear were willing to close their eyes to the horrendous things carried out by both the Clintons and Obama in order to excuse anything for fear of Trump and what they would see as his bigoted supporters getting in.

From a British perspective this seems very much like a logical conclusion in hindsight of American politics, although we were as surprised as anyone else at the time. In Britain and certainly in Europe we are used to a panoply of parties with nearly always at least a three party system. So the centre parties like the Old liberals are often way to the left of you democrats and our left leaning parties are to many Americans only just one degree right of outright commies. That said here in the UK is is virtually always only the left or right who get in.

I think and I could be entirely wrong that because the states are so much bigger and more disperate that politics there has become more and more simplified in order to appeal to the largest demographic of voters. So afraid of diluting their fanbase parties have splintered into two extremes and then kept each other in power for years. What they ends up with though surely is a party that really does not represent huge swathes of the population and flies in the face of a democratic republic like you have?

Here on Saddo I think the single biggest problem is communication. Because everything is written down then we cannot detect sarcasm, nuance, humor, deadpaness, affection even. So offense is easily taken (hand up) and also it is easy to suppose thing about people that are wildly innacurate. Our avatars, signatures, profiles and post contents are all we have to signal things to others and so we all build up a picture in our heads that is probably miles from the reality of a posters personality, background or intentions.

The great thing is that we seem to run the whole gamut form one extreme to the other, on both location, social status, political views etc and yet we are still virtually tolerating each other on a daily basis.

I think I have just waffled there and am probably just having a reverse hang over from all the ales I will be drinking later. It's this time zone thing

Anyway happy new year, even if you do have me on ignore
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm surprised Beanz didn't post a response to this thread

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As with any polarizing subject, each side becomes unreasonable!

There is a large group of people who's main hobby is to seek out and find things to be outraged by. They call for people to lose their livelihood, and when confronted on their activity they will say "oh well we're just fighting for a better world where everyone is nice to each other". Bullshit. It's a very vindictive practice, not rooted in educating people and changing views, but more so getting pleasure from striking out at people.

And on the other side, there are people who throw around terms "PC police" even when someone has a legitimate gripe. And a lot of people don't realize that "free speech" doesn't mean you have the ability to say whatever you want with no repercussions.

But I firmly believe overall the PC culture is a bad thing. Publicly vilifying people, ruining lives and telling people what they can and can't say just causes deep-seeded resentment. It also puts limitations on honest discourse.

Take the transgender topic. Right now, an 8-year old boy can tell his parents "I wanna wear a dress and I want you to buy me some dolls" and the parents reaction is to bring the boy to the doctor so they can put him on a cocktail of medications for the rest of his life to fight biology.

I think it's pretty reasonable to believe that an 8-year old probably shouldn't be trusted to make that kind of important, life altering decision. I'm sure a lot of people also feel this way. But you can't say this because you'll be labelled a "transphobic" and risk losing your job. That's where PC gets dangerous.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is pretty funny, come on!

Thread Information