Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Andre Berto..yawn.

All this guy seems to be doing is yapping on fighthype all the time.

He certainly keeps himself fit but if he is going to have x3 fights this year who are these opponents going to be?

Will Andre Berto be the new gateway/journeyman fighter as the test before bigger things or has he still got another chance at world level.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Andre Berto..yawn.

So is Berto saying he will be more active this year? That would be a good thing as most Floyd opponents lose their hunger after their pay days.

Berto is talented but is injury prone and getting older. He would make a good opponent for a rising up and coming fighter.

I think he would give Garcia a good fight but see Thurman easily beating him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should have never turned that Mosley fight down. For all the shit I gave him he's so much more accomplished and respectable than a guy like Broner. The 147 division is a shark tank. No idea what he is waiting for with near year of inactivity.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Berto, great athlete with huge flaws but a lot of heart, and he's never been in what you could call a bad fight. I thought he looked better against Floyd and Ortiz(though no measuring stick nowadays) than he had for a few years. The losses to Guerrero and Karass back to back were brutal, I don't think anyone would have seen a return to decent form after that. He's not going to beat the best in the division but I'd consider him quite a live dog against the 5-10 kind of guys. Fights with Porter, Bradley or Khan say would be fun, or that Felix Diaz guy, he should have some options. Credit to him for even staying fit and wanting to fight after getting the Floyd payday on the tail end of his career.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I erd hes fighting porter
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Berto was with Andre Ward when he won against Kovolev and training with his trainer Virgil.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    I erd hes fighting porter
    I don't know why Porter is chasing this fight so hard. A time filler while awaiting a bigger fight I suppose?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Porter needs to fight someone period and he can't afford to lose. I think a Berto fight makes perfect sense.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Porter needs to fight someone period and he can't afford to lose. I think a Berto fight makes perfect sense.
    Are these guys under the same banner because there seems a merry go round of US welters fighting one another.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Porter does need to stay active but I don't agree that he can't afford to lose. He lost to Thurman and it increased his appeal imo. If he fought a guy like Bradley and lost another close decision I think he still remains relevant. A competitive loss to a top guy shouldn't be cause to lose a fans respect. Fighting mediocre opposition on the other hand should.

jon09 Guest

For some reason I still want to see a Berto vs Broner fight happen.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Berto vs Collazo II would do it for me.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Porter does need to stay active but I don't agree that he can't afford to lose. He lost to Thurman and it increased his appeal imo. If he fought a guy like Bradley and lost another close decision I think he still remains relevant. A competitive loss to a top guy shouldn't be cause to lose a fans respect. Fighting mediocre opposition on the other hand should.
    If it had increased his appeal he probably wouldn't be having trouble getting a fight. I don't think Berto is quite mediocre yet either, it's still a relevant fight where an impressive win would help Porter along, and I think a lot of the better welterweights could beat him. Even Berto would have a shot imo, guess that's why I don't mind the fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have a sneaking suspicion Haymon is just keeping him in the wind for the next coming. How a ko of Ortiz keeps you in the top two spot have no idea and much might depend on what Brook does trinket wise. Bertos answer could be Spence and that would be very very brutal.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    If it had increased his appeal he probably wouldn't be having trouble getting a fight. I don't think Berto is quite mediocre yet either, it's still a relevant fight where an impressive win would help Porter along, and I think a lot of the better welterweights could beat him. Even Berto would have a shot imo, guess that's why I don't mind the fight.
    I don't think he's having trouble getting a fight. I think he wants an easy 'name' opponent that will keep him busy but won't be a risk if losing to. Berto fits that profile in my opinion. There are fans that thought Porter won the Thurman fight. No way I see him losing to Berto. If Soto Karass blasted him I fear what Porter does.

Thread Information