123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Even if they agree a deal it isn't a deal, it's just a standstill agreement. The "deal" means Britain stays inside the customs union for a couple of years while the terms and conditions of the actual deal are worked out. Just wait and see the shit Britain has to swallow to maintain access to the destination of hundreds of billions of its goods and the source of hundreds of billions more, not to mention all the jobs. It will become clear to even the most ardent Brexit supporter than the resulting deal will never be anywhere near as good for the UK as being part of the EU was. They're going to get extremely pissed off at somebody. It won't be themselves naturally.
    Yes oh how you'll miss being under Germany's boot .....really would have been easier to just give up during the Blitz
    How is Britain under Germany's boot exactly?

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Attached Images
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

El Kabong Guest

Brexit: Deal essentially impossible, No 10 source says after PM-Merkel call
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49970267

What boot?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What boot?
    That is old news. They did secure a deal which was voted down in parliament on Saturday. There is no boot here.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

What boot?
    That is old news. They did secure a deal which was voted down in parliament on Saturday. There is no boot here.
    Why does Merkel have a say at all?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What boot?
    Why does Merkel have a say at all?
    Boris went around all of Europe's leaders even though there are negotiators that they must go through. There are 27 countries that need to agree.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bump.

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I invite you (Beanz) to take a page out of the heated arguments I have with Lyle over Trump and the gun issue. I'm not going to claim any type of moral superiority here, because Lyle and I went at it pretty hard some years ago, and many times it even got a bit personal. We've all done it.... no sense in denying it. Yet, whether you've noticed or not, Lyle and continue to argue heatedly about Trump and the gun issue..... but the personal attacks are now missing. Why? Because we respect each other as men. We may disagree in the most intense sense of the word on some important issues (climate can probably be included in there also, although I'm not exactly an alarmist at this point)..... but we disagree civilly.

Please don't take this as an attack. I believe we are all here intelligent, articulate people and frankly.... it's the reason why in 15 years I've never ventured too far off this forum. I've tried others..... got bored..... and come back. I don't even bother to test the waters anymore. The 15 years brings up another point. It's not healthy (IMO) to carry negative feelings toward one another through 15 or so years in the same forum. We should rather embrace our differences. That doesn't mean I'm going to quit trying to convince Lyle of the error of his ways when it comes to Trump. But at least there is a mutual respect, and that means more to me than any disagreement we may have.

Sometimes we touch a "sensitive button." I'm convinced it was that way with the LGBTQ issue. We don't know what each others' life experiences have been..... we know nothing about each others' families, situations, health, problems, etc. So disagreements on that subject are bound to create a lot of tension. But even topics like those I'm sure we can discuss in a calm, civil manner.

I find it sad that you would call Lyle "not good people" without ever having met him personally. I'm not a betting man. But I'd be willing to wager that much of this animosity would dissipate if there was ever a face-to-face. And I mean that in a good way. In both my personal life and at work, I've had many the opportunity to engage with people I just don't see eye-to-eye with. We don't always end up liking each other, but at least we extend each other the courtesy of being able to disagree without it devolving into a personal battle.

I'm the one here who has posted threads about an imagined "meeting" between Saddo'ers and..... although I realize that is just an unrealistic fantasy due to life circumstances..... I still feel it would be a terrific experience, especially for most of us Saddo veterans. Anyway, I sincerely hope you can reflect on some of these things.

I'm bumping this up because it was a serious post thoughtfully addressed to a male adult, fellow Saddo'er of many years..... and I would kindly appreciate even the slightest acknowledgement that it was read.

Even if it's only to say that you don't give a shit, and would rather continue the current hostilities. That would be respected, and at least we would all know where we all stand.

Thanks in advance.

El Kabong Guest

Boris went around all of Europe's leaders even though there are negotiators that they must go through. There are 27 countries that need to agree.
    27 other countries need to agree to ALLOW Britain to implement the will of their people.

Yes indeed, no boot at all

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bump.

I invite you (Beanz) to take a page out of the heated arguments I have with Lyle over Trump and the gun issue. I'm not going to claim any type of moral superiority here, because Lyle and I went at it pretty hard some years ago, and many times it even got a bit personal. We've all done it.... no sense in denying it. Yet, whether you've noticed or not, Lyle and continue to argue heatedly about Trump and the gun issue..... but the personal attacks are now missing. Why? Because we respect each other as men. We may disagree in the most intense sense of the word on some important issues (climate can probably be included in there also, although I'm not exactly an alarmist at this point)..... but we disagree civilly.

Please don't take this as an attack. I believe we are all here intelligent, articulate people and frankly.... it's the reason why in 15 years I've never ventured too far off this forum. I've tried others..... got bored..... and come back. I don't even bother to test the waters anymore. The 15 years brings up another point. It's not healthy (IMO) to carry negative feelings toward one another through 15 or so years in the same forum. We should rather embrace our differences. That doesn't mean I'm going to quit trying to convince Lyle of the error of his ways when it comes to Trump. But at least there is a mutual respect, and that means more to me than any disagreement we may have.

Sometimes we touch a "sensitive button." I'm convinced it was that way with the LGBTQ issue. We don't know what each others' life experiences have been..... we know nothing about each others' families, situations, health, problems, etc. So disagreements on that subject are bound to create a lot of tension. But even topics like those I'm sure we can discuss in a calm, civil manner.

I find it sad that you would call Lyle "not good people" without ever having met him personally. I'm not a betting man. But I'd be willing to wager that much of this animosity would dissipate if there was ever a face-to-face. And I mean that in a good way. In both my personal life and at work, I've had many the opportunity to engage with people I just don't see eye-to-eye with. We don't always end up liking each other, but at least we extend each other the courtesy of being able to disagree without it devolving into a personal battle.

I'm the one here who has posted threads about an imagined "meeting" between Saddo'ers and..... although I realize that is just an unrealistic fantasy due to life circumstances..... I still feel it would be a terrific experience, especially for most of us Saddo veterans. Anyway, I sincerely hope you can reflect on some of these things.

I'm bumping this up because it was a serious post thoughtfully addressed to a male adult, fellow Saddo'er of many years..... and I would kindly appreciate even the slightest acknowledgement that it was read.

Even if it's only to say that you don't give a shit, and would rather continue the current hostilities. That would be respected, and at least we would all know where we all stand.

Thanks in advance.
    A male adult? Lol

You guys.

Yes I read it and no I don't think El Kabong is intelligent, articulate or respectful in any way. He wants the right of no reply. He asks a question and when you answer it just bounces off him because he will always think he knows better than the person he is lecturing. Look at him here, still, years on, telling the Brits not only what to do, but also what reality is because he thinks watching one YouTube video trumps 40 odd years of someone living in the places being discussed.

He is an arse and simply disagreeing with him provokes a very childish response.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also no disrespect or anything Tittyfan but advice on civil behaviour from a guy who went to the trouble of Googling a local road bridge, and popular suicide spot, and suggested not only that I throw myself off it, but also asked that I film or photograph the final act, doesn't deserve to be read anyway.

You guys have got away with way too much for way too long. No more big padded gloves from me I am afraid.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

27 other countries need to agree to ALLOW Britain to implement the will of their people.

No, 27 countries need to agree a sensible deal with the UK so that it does not leave in a disorderly fashion.

Boris wants to rush it having no regard to the impact it will have on the country for many years to come.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, 27 countries need to agree a sensible deal with the UK so that it does not leave in a disorderly fashion.

Boris wants to rush it having no regard to the impact it will have on the country for many years to come.
    The Tories have messed up by basically souping up May's deal. Very weak, but no deal would never pass Parliament. So now both parties are seemingly essentially against the will of the people. If there was FPTP I think Britain would be on the verge of a political revolution.

No deal is the only way for a fresh start and it is being denied. Britain looks to be in a lot of trouble and then the Tories outright banning protests? Not a good look either. The people voted a very long time ago and the referendum has been trashed. That is treason. A nation has the right to its own sovereignty.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ever...no deal would ever pass the 5th Column Parliament.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a FPTP (First Past the Post) system in the UK did you mean if there was not then there would be a political revolution?

Nobody voted for a no deal, the referendum was about being in or out and if it was out then people said a deal could be made.

Referendums are a bad idea as we vote for politicians to make the decisions. They only gave us a referendum because it was destroying the Conservatives.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My naughty......Proportional Representation. I had FPTP on the brain in that moment as I don't like that system.

I don't think the referendum question had anything in its wording about 'a deal'. It was about staying or leaving something the people never voted to be part of and that was it.

I love referendums and would like more of them. MP's have shown they don't give a hoot what the voters think so they are no longer representatives of the people.

I think it is totally valid to have referendums on important topics and certainly on things like national sovereignty.

Thread Information