Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Brexit Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    It's a no win situation whoever is at the helm.

Let the comedy continue....
    It doesn't help when there is a 5th column sabotaging things. I was reading a few articles in the mainstream and project fear is frankly way over the top. Johnson is now apparently worse than Thatcher despite basically taking the positive aspects of Labour's manifesto.

The EU fetish some have is so strange. It is as though people have never read up on the long term history of their own nation. Britain has always been fine despite the risks Europe has posed. Britain has always led the way, so to be subsumed by such a monolith like the EU is frankly sad.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually feel a bit sorry for Boris as the politicians who are neant to represent the people (2/3's of regions voted leave) are screwing everybody over. I think all this is doing is making Johnson more and more popular. Just look at his ratings compared to Corbyn. He offered an election which Corbyn (the life long anti EU guy) has himself asked for 35 times in 2 years. What does Labour do? They say no. You really couldn't make it up.

And @Master The EU is not flexible on a deal. There is simply no deal they will offer that is worth accepting. Nearly half the country is willing to go with a no deal Brexit. The vote was not 'We will leave but only with a deal on the EU's terms'. It was stay or go and the people want to go. They know full well there will be a temporary adjustment period.

The people never voted to be this far into the EU to begin with. It was a trading bloc and nothing more. Look how they crept by stealth.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that EU has taken over and was becoming a federal government which was the main reason why I wanted to leave Brexit. I knew there would be turmoil leaving but I thought a deal could be made to ensure that it would not be as bad as a no deal would be. WTO rules are basic and a no deal Brexit means years of further negotiation so is the start of a dialogue and not the end.

You know full well why Boris wants a general election not because he is giving Labour what they have asked for but because it is the only way he can leave on 31st October. The only reason people are accepting a no deal is because they are forced into this corner and that is not the way to make such a big decision.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Brexit has destroyed the Conservative party and they may never recover.

Brexit did not mean a no deal. A good deal can be made which is what Boris does not want. He wants us forced to sell off the NHS and become another tax haven.

Amber Rudd has resigned today.
    The Tories are fucked, but it ain't like Labour is covering themselves in glory if anything you'll see the Conservatives, UKIP, Brexit parties gain ground.

Why no general election? Why is Boris being left to flounder?

Because nobody wants Corbyn either.

Your Parliament has turned against the people's vote and either the people's vote matters (which I think it does regardless the vote on Brexit, if they voted Remain then they should have by all means remained, but they didn't) and it's grotesquely humorous to see posters celebrate the failures of past and present governments to apply Brexit much less see those very same people CHEER remaining which is completely against what the people voted for "Oh but that vote doesn't count because people are dumb and they were fooled"

The disdain you have for your fellow countrymen is disheartening and short sighted. The EU is just a German Reich by another name and another means....bow to your masters in Berlin.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There will be no General Election until 31st October because the opposition want to see Boris dead in a ditch.

Boris has no intention of making a deal and his own cabinet are leaving including his brother tells us that.

El Kabong Guest

There will be no General Election until 31st October because the opposition want to see Boris dead in a ditch.

Boris has no intention of making a deal and his own cabinet are leaving including his brother tells us that.
    Well his brother is a Remainer so don't know what to tell you

It seems from an outsiders perspective that the Remain side is full to the brim with spite and they don't seem to care at all about the nation or what happens other than injuring anyone and everyone associated with Brexit ergo the nonchalance with which this "because the opposition want to see Boris dead in a ditch" is posted.

I never liked Obama or Clinton but I ALWAYS want(ed) what was good for my state specifically and the United States in general.....doesn't seem to be how Brexit is working out.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Well his brother is a Remainer so don't know what to tell you

It seems from an outsiders perspective that the Remain side is full to the brim with spite and they don't seem to care at all about the nation or what happens other than injuring anyone and everyone associated with Brexit ergo the nonchalance with which this "because the opposition want to see Boris dead in a ditch" is posted.

I never liked Obama or Clinton but I ALWAYS want(ed) what was good for my state specifically and the United States in general.....doesn't seem to be how Brexit is working out.
    His brother was brought in by Boris even though he was a remainer but still voted for May Brexit deal so was committed to leaving.

Boris is the one that said "I would rather be dead in a ditch" phrase so he put himself in that situation.

If no deal was an option in the referendum then Leave would have lost.

El Kabong Guest

His brother was brought in by Boris even though he was a remainer but still voted for May Brexit deal so was committed to leaving.

Boris is the one that said "I would rather be dead in a ditch" phrase so he put himself in that situation.

If no deal was an option in the referendum then Leave would have lost.
    So you're told by him.

I'm well aware of where the phrase comes from.

If not for Leave winning Leave would have lost.....at what point do you look at this situation and figure "Well if we're to continue on as a nation of laws then we'll have to allow the people their say?" the people spoke and "Leave" was the word that came forth.

I don't understand what any politician stands to achieve by delaying Brexit or completely abandoning it, but I guess we'll find out just how bad things will get....I'll find out as a spectator, you may very well find out in person. I wouldn't think that the public who voted Brexit will be pleased in their votes being cast aside and them being chalked up as only "stupid and uninformed", think that'll go down well?

How long before the yellow vests are donned in Britain? How long before the police crack down on protesters there?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There will be a general election after 31st October so let's see what happens then.

El Kabong Guest

There will be a general election after 31st October so let's see what happens then.
    Best wishes

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Once again they have denied the possibility of an election. Apparently Corbyn does not want to fall into political 'traps' despite having called for an election repeatedly over the past few years. Here's your chance, have your election, win the battle of ideas! Oh, but you have flip flopped and now want another referendum and campaigned for the EU despite a lifetime of resistance. Not a good idea, right? People don't like that, but it keeps a few MP wolves at bay.....for now. He doesn't seem to know what to do, where to go, or how to handle it. It's a shame as I like him economically, but I cannot be doing with the open borders or identity politics nonsense. Support your country and support your working class workers. That is what Labour was meant to do. All over the place.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Once again they have denied the possibility of an election. Apparently Corbyn does not want to fall into political 'traps' despite having called for an election repeatedly over the past few years. Here's your chance, have your election, win the battle of ideas! Oh, but you have flip flopped and now want another referendum and campaigned for the EU despite a lifetime of resistance. Not a good idea, right? People don't like that, but it keeps a few MP wolves at bay.....for now. He doesn't seem to know what to do, where to go, or how to handle it. It's a shame as I like him economically, but I cannot be doing with the open borders or identity politics nonsense. Support your country and support your working class workers. That is what Labour was meant to do. All over the place.
    Makes perfect sense to me. I voted Brexit and Labour will pursue a deal to leave and put that to the public. It has been 3 years of Tory incompetence that has delayed the whole process not Labour.

Boris will get his election but not as his way to exit with no deal.

Irony is that this may actually push Boris to try and make a deal before 31st.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Makes perfect sense to me. I voted Brexit and Labour will pursue a deal to leave and put that to the public. It has been 3 years of Tory incompetence that has delayed the whole process not Labour.

Boris will get his election but not as his way to exit with no deal.

Irony is that this may actually push Boris to try and make a deal before 31st.
    It makes sense from a tactical standpoint, but shows he is a coward and a hypocrite. May was a remainer, so of course it was 3 years of dithering and kow towing to the EU.

Someone like Johnson should really have been in charge from the start and carried it through. Corbyn himself immediately after the referendum was wanting leave to be implemented and here he is denying an election and wanting a new referendum.

He has messed things up tactically in a bad way and the growth of nationalism is now immense and Labour is seen as the party that opened the borders in the first place.

Not a good position. You potentially have the complete decline of Labour and I think they very well know that sentiment has changed. May was unpopular and self defeating and Labour couldn't budge the Tories even then.

It is quite serious IMO and the desire for a break is making even Labour voters just want to get behind Boris to get out of the EU. Historically you are facing upheaval when parliament rejects the public. The Lib Dems and others will sponge up Labour voters as will the Tories now.

I am no Tory, but they are now the only party with a leader saying no deal if you do not budge. That's powerful and people will get behind that.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Labour wanted to honour the referendum result in the last election. They nearly won and Corbyn brought up the Labour vote to an unprecedented level in the history of the party. They won seats that have been Tory for many many years.

I believe Labour can win the next general election. I do not want another referendum but let's go with it.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He did it on the back of May and not having been a complete flip flopper. Sentiment has turned whence his numbers. Johnson has stolen the policies and kept the nationalism. He has been very canny. Corbyn has missed the boat and to be fair to him his party might as well go and live in Brussels.

Thread Information