Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather- Really was a great champion and fighter!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd Mayweather- Really was a great champion and fighter!

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I can give Floyd his just due. But no way he measures up to SRL. No way.
    Don't compare the money version against SRL..compare the Pretty boy.

Does Mike Tyson measure up to a Sonny Liston?

We will never ever know..fighters are supposed to get better.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Floyd's career was amazing and I can't understand why some Floyd fans want him to make this meaningless 50-0. Why at nearly 40, take a chance of fucking up your whole legacy?
    Fortunately, Floyd knows better. He loves to be talked about and encourages it, but he knows he ain't coming back.
    If there's a chance to make a ton of money for 50-0, Floyd will do it.

Thurman, Garcia or Conor

Pick one..it's going to happen.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I can give Floyd his just due. But no way he measures up to SRL. No way.
    Don't compare the money version against SRL..compare the Pretty boy.

Does Mike Tyson measure up to a Sonny Liston?

We will never ever know..fighters are supposed to get better.
    No they don't. SRL and SRR were too big and good for whatever version of Floyd you want to put forward. Floyd was better at the lower weights but not a great at welterweight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Every career could be better. Anyone that says Floyd's resume is not great knows fuck all about the sport.

#2 P4P in 1999
    #1 P4P in 2015

That span is madness
    Well I'm sorry that I'm of the belief that if you say "I'm the greatest of all-time" then you're going to have to back that up with more than a "because I said so".

Now Floyd can't have anything held against him because there wasn't a Leonard, Duran, Hagler, Hearns out there for him to fight, BUT picking and choosing to fight this guy here and that guy at this point in his career can be looked at.

Miguel Cotto at 140 in 2005-2006 or at 147 in 2007-2009 is a lot different than Miguel Cotto at 154 in 2012....and it's not ONLY one fighter that Floyd did this with. I mean tell me who you rate higher Ricky Hatton at 140 or Ricky Hatton at 147....doesn't matter if Hatton would still be an underdog the point is Larry Holmes doesn't get credit for beating Ali there's a reason for that, Rocky Marciano's entire career is looked at in a very skeptical manner and Rocky never said "I'm the greatest, I'm the best!", why should Floyd just get a pass?

beat the best version of a fighter and get the full credit, that's all I'm saying

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's funny how this "Floyd picked his fights" theory is always banded around. Ask yourself, how come he was able to pick his fights? how did he get so much power? After all, Other people don't get to pick and choose do they? and why did so many people pay so much for the privilege of watching him fight mismatches? The reality is that he earned the right to fight who he wanted to fight, and even if he fought King fucking Kong somebody would've criticized him for hand picking his opponents.
    In the last 6 years , who was there to fight that really got the juices flowing? the stand out fights that had to be made by popular opinion were against Manny and Canelo, and you can talk about timing all you want , but he beat both of them EASILY!
    now I'm not saying he's a GOAT, but he's got an argument to put him up there if he chooses to use it.

El Kabong Guest

It's funny how this "Floyd picked his fights" theory is always banded around. Ask yourself, how come he was able to pick his fights? how did he get so much power? After all, Other people don't get to pick and choose do they? and why did so many people pay so much for the privilege of watching him fight mismatches? The reality is that he earned the right to fight who he wanted to fight, and even if he fought King fucking Kong somebody would've criticized him for hand picking his opponents.
    In the last 6 years , who was there to fight that really got the juices flowing? the stand out fights that had to be made by popular opinion were against Manny and Canelo, and you can talk about timing all you want , but he beat both of them EASILY!
    now I'm not saying he's a GOAT, but he's got an argument to put him up there if he chooses to use it.
    Theory?!?!? It's not a theory it's the truth...you think Hatton was like "Hold on Floyd, I don't want you at 140 where I'm undefeated I want you at 147 where I damn near lost to Luis Collazo and then moved back to 140" you think Miguel Cotto was like "Let's wait before we fight Floyd, let's build this fight up after I've lost a few times and swapped around trainers" you think they did that?

If Floyd REALLY REALLY took on the biggest and baddest of his era then IMMEDIATELY after Margarito beats Cotto then Floyd would have stepped up....WHAT?!?! Floyd NEVER fought Margarito?!?!? Floyd NEVER fought Paul Williams?!?!?!

It is fucking moroninc to assume that Floyd had no leverage in the sport...if you're P4P #1 then you have pull, but at the same time you can make fights occur easier or you can be difficult to negotiate with and if you're really difficult to negotiate with you can wait around for 1 guy for YEARS that's what he did with Hatton, it's what he did with Cotto, it's what he and Pacquiao did with each other. Floyd ain't the only guy who has done this kind of thing before, typically it's promoters who do that but Floyd was running his show so he was a promoter for himself and he took the fights he wanted to take simple as that.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is to boxing what Taco Bell is to Mexican food.

Just because you're selling the most doesn't mean you have the quality!

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vidgil View Post

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Awesome analogy. Would hang this post in the saddo hall of fame if there was one.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Theory?!?!? It's not a theory it's the truth...you think Hatton was like "Hold on Floyd, I don't want you at 140 where I'm undefeated I want you at 147 where I damn near lost to Luis Collazo and then moved back to 140" you think Miguel Cotto was like "Let's wait before we fight Floyd, let's build this fight up after I've lost a few times and swapped around trainers" you think they did that?

If Floyd REALLY REALLY took on the biggest and baddest of his era then IMMEDIATELY after Margarito beats Cotto then Floyd would have stepped up....WHAT?!?! Floyd NEVER fought Margarito?!?!? Floyd NEVER fought Paul Williams?!?!?!

It is fucking moroninc to assume that Floyd had no leverage in the sport...if you're P4P #1 then you have pull, but at the same time you can make fights occur easier or you can be difficult to negotiate with and if you're really difficult to negotiate with you can wait around for 1 guy for YEARS that's what he did with Hatton, it's what he did with Cotto, it's what he and Pacquiao did with each other. Floyd ain't the only guy who has done this kind of thing before, typically it's promoters who do that but Floyd was running his show so he was a promoter for himself and he took the fights he wanted to take simple as that.
    You paint it. It's not the truth if you paint it. Floyd constantly sent Hatton contracts. Hatton constantly turned them down. They did not send counter offers. But you want to blame Floyd so you do. Watch the video of Hattons dad the night Judah lost to Baldimir and you will see him saying "we expect to get another offer from Floyd by the morning and we will not accept". This happened because Floyd was headed to a Judah fight for the belts, everyone thought. And since Judah lost they thought Floyd would turn to them. Ask yourself, do people turn down offers they haven't even seen yet if they are looking for a fight? No counter offer? If you could be honest about the answers to those questions than a discussion about the truth can begin.

Cut and paste this in your search bar if you want to hear Ricky saying himself that they repeatedly turned Floyd down

www.doghouseboxing.com/Chee/Chee0504c06.htm

If you want to know why the Margarito fight didn't happen it's right here. Mind you this article has BOB ARUM stating that if Floyd wanted to buy out of his contract there was a limited window to do so and BOB ARUM himself admits Floyd was willing to fight him for the 8 million except it came with a contract extension and in this extension he was only willing to offer 7 million for Hatton or Cotto. Fights Floyd made 40million +. The deal was garbage. That's why it didn't happen. That's unslanted truth

www.espn.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2420382

And use some sense. Would Floyd have been worried about how much he would get vs DLH, Cotto and Hatton specifically if he didn't want to fight them? And if it's logical to conclude he did want to fight them then who held them up? It's not a complicated question. We all know the real answer, just some don't want to admit the answer.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 01-27-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here in Michigan we back Joe Louis, SRR, Stanley Ketchel, James Lights Out Toney and my favourite, the Motor City Cobra.

We don't back Pretty Gay "I like to slap women around" Floyd Mayweather.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    His antics leading to his fights to generate attention is what it was.... spousal abuse aside, he was a GREAT Champion and one of the best to ever lace up gloves.

Look at it... Who else was he supposed to fight? Sure, folks wanted him to fight GGG. But GGG is a LH in a MW frame. Floyd is a blown up Super Featherweight who should have never gone up to Welterweight, let alone Jr. Welter. But he did.

He is a great champion. He should have chased the 50 plus wins. I wanted him to. He should have rematched Canelo and Manny and made it 51. But he chose not to. It's still a great feat regardless!!
    I don't understand why people question his greatness , he is judged on fights when he was well above his natural fighting weight. He still was undefeated and not many could even lay a glove on him , yes he was an annoying prick at times but to question his all time greatness is madness and bitter.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here in Michigan we back Joe Louis, SRR, Stanley Ketchel, James Lights Out Toney and my favourite, the Motor City Cobra.

We don't back Pretty Gay "I like to slap women around" Floyd Mayweather.
    I assume you know all the reasons this post is ignorant. There are a lot for so few words. If you don't know ask and I will explain to you tomorrow.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ron, wtf did Floyd waste a fight against Judah after he had already lost to Baldimor?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    "Theory?!?!? It's not a theory it's the truth...you think Hatton was like "Hold on Floyd, I don't want you at 140 where I'm undefeated I want you at 147 where I damn near lost to Luis Collazo and then moved back to 140" you think Miguel Cotto was like "Let's wait before we fight Floyd, let's build this fight up after I've lost a few times and swapped around trainers" you think they did that?"
    "If Floyd REALLY REALLY took on the biggest and baddest of his era then IMMEDIATELY after Margarito beats Cotto then Floyd would have stepped up....WHAT?!?! Floyd NEVER fought Margarito?!?!? Floyd NEVER fought Paul Williams?!?!?!"

"It is fucking moroninc to assume that Floyd had no leverage in the sport..."
    "if you're P4P #1 then you have pull, but at the same time you can make fights occur easier or you can be difficult to negotiate with and if you're really difficult to negotiate with you can wait around for 1 guy for YEARS that's what he did with Hatton, it's what he did with Cotto, it's what he and Pacquiao did with each other. Floyd ain't the only guy who has done this kind of thing before, typically it's promoters who do that but Floyd was running his show so he was a promoter for himself and he took the fights he wanted to take simple as that.
    "

Hey, at the end of the day, they had choices. Take the fight or don't take the fight, It's plain and simple really. Plenty of other people are quite happy to step on the Floyd Gravy train because they know it's the best money they can earn for a fight in their career. I've asked this before and I'll ask again, Why do you think that is?

Do you honestly believe that Floyd wouldn't have beaten Margarito? look what Pac did to him. and besides, why the fuck should he fight that cheating cunt? I can't believe people feel Floyd (or anyone else) should fight this prick. Also, do you think Margarito would've beat Cotto without having 3 tons of stone in his gloves? as for Paul Williams, I do believe he started to move up the divisions and that's why the fight never really materialized.

It is fucking moroninc to assume that Floyd had no leverage in the sport...

maybe it is, BUT WHO ASSUMES THIS? I never once said he had no pull, what I said was WHY?

if you're P4P #1 then you have pull, but at the same time you can make fights occur easier or you can be difficult to negotiate with and if you're really difficult to negotiate with you can wait around for 1 guy for YEARS that's what he did with Hatton, it's what he did with Cotto, it's what he and Pacquiao did with each other. Floyd ain't the only guy who has done this kind of thing before, typically it's promoters who do that but Floyd was running his show so he was a promoter for himself and he took the fights he wanted to take simple as that.

Yet again, How did he get to have such a big say? the thing is it's alright given a long winded reply, but sometimes you need to answer the questions asked in order to make your reply viable.

Thread Information