Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather- Really was a great champion and fighter!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd Mayweather- Really was a great champion and fighter!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vidgil View Post
    Here in Michigan we back Joe Louis, SRR, Stanley Ketchel, James Lights Out Toney and my favourite, the Motor City Cobra.

We don't back Pretty Gay "I like to slap women around" Floyd Mayweather.
    I assume you know all the reasons this post is ignorant. There are a lot for so few words. If you don't know ask and I will explain to you tomorrow.
    There's nothing ignorant at all about the post! Don't be daft

El Kabong Guest

You paint it. It's not the truth if you paint it. Floyd constantly sent Hatton contracts. Hatton constantly turned them down. They did not send counter offers. But you want to blame Floyd so you do. Watch the video of Hattons dad the night Judah lost to Baldimir and you will see him saying "we expect to get another offer from Floyd by the morning and we will not accept". This happened because Floyd was headed to a Judah fight for the belts, everyone thought. And since Judah lost they thought Floyd would turn to them. Ask yourself, do people turn down offers they haven't even seen yet if they are looking for a fight? No counter offer? If you could be honest about the answers to those questions than a discussion about the truth can begin.

Cut and paste this in your search bar if you want to hear Ricky saying himself that they repeatedly turned Floyd down

Hatton Speaks: Asked why he turned down a Mayweather Fight Twice this year

If you want to know why the Margarito fight didn't happen it's right here. Mind you this article has BOB ARUM stating that if Floyd wanted to buy out of his contract there was a limited window to do so and BOB ARUM himself admits Floyd was willing to fight him for the 8 million except it came with a contract extension and in this extension he was only willing to offer 7 million for Hatton or Cotto. Fights Floyd made 40million +. The deal was garbage. That's why it didn't happen. That's unslanted truth

Mayweather turns down $8 million to fight Margarito

And use some sense. Would Floyd have been worried about how much he would get vs DLH, Cotto and Hatton specifically if he didn't want to fight them? And if it's logical to conclude he did want to fight them then who held them up? It's not a complicated question. We all know the real answer, just some don't want to admit the answer.
    sure thing Ron

Sending contracts doesn't mean the contracts are good or fair, I could EASILY "send you a contract" which I know you'd refuse doesn't mean a fucking thing. Floyd fought who he wanted when he wanted to fight them and at the weight he wanted to fight them at....prove me wrong.

As for Margarito, ok, so Floyd was injured, he fought Baldomir in November of 2006....Margarito fought Joshua Clottey in December of 2006...THE...FIGHT...COULD....HAVE....BEEN.....MAD E....FULLSTOP

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    "
    Theory?!?!? It's not a theory it's the truth...you think Hatton was like "Hold on Floyd, I don't want you at 140 where I'm undefeated I want you at 147 where I damn near lost to Luis Collazo and then moved back to 140" you think Miguel Cotto was like "Let's wait before we fight Floyd, let's build this fight up after I've lost a few times and swapped around trainers" you think they did that?

Hey, at the end of the day, they had choices. Take the fight or don't take the fight, It's plain and simple really. Plenty of other people are quite happy to step on the Floyd Gravy train because they know it's the best money they can earn for a fight in their career. I've asked this before and I'll ask again, Why do you think that is?

If Floyd REALLY REALLY took on the biggest and baddest of his era then IMMEDIATELY after Margarito beats Cotto then Floyd would have stepped up....WHAT?!?! Floyd NEVER fought Margarito?!?!? Floyd NEVER fought Paul Williams?!?!?!

Do you honestly believe that Floyd wouldn't have beaten Margarito? look what Pac did to him. and besides, why the fuck should he fight that cheating cunt? I can't believe people feel Floyd (or anyone else) should fight this prick. Also, do you think Margarito would've beat Cotto without having 3 tons of stone in his gloves? as for Paul Williams, I do believe he started to move up the divisions and that's why the fight never really materialized.

It is fucking moroninc to assume that Floyd had no leverage in the sport...

maybe it is, BUT WHO ASSUMES THIS? I never once said he had no pull, what I said was WHY?

if you're P4P #1 then you have pull, but at the same time you can make fights occur easier or you can be difficult to negotiate with and if you're really difficult to negotiate with you can wait around for 1 guy for YEARS that's what he did with Hatton, it's what he did with Cotto, it's what he and Pacquiao did with each other. Floyd ain't the only guy who has done this kind of thing before, typically it's promoters who do that but Floyd was running his show so he was a promoter for himself and he took the fights he wanted to take simple as that.

Yet again, How did he get to have such a big say? the thing is it's alright given a long winded reply, but sometimes you need to answer the questions asked in order to make your reply viable.
    OK, you're a prize fighter, boxing is your ONLY means of providing for your family and you're going to fight someone calling himself "The Greatest of All-Time" and he's going to pay you a pittance....do you take that fight? Or do you attempt to negotiate more money for yourself?

Who knows if Floyd would beat Margarito or Williams, he never even got close to fighting either one of them. Who knows if Floyd would have lasted with a prime Miguel Cotto ro a Ricky Hatton at 140, who knows we sure as shit didn't fucking see that did we?!?!?!

Pacquiao and Mosley and Cotto II ain't the Margarito I'm talking about numbnuts there's a difference between THAT guy and the guy who gave Cotto his first L....sure there's the loaded wraps angle to this as well, the point is Floyd NEVER fought Margarito, he NEVER fought Paul Williams....remind me who Ray Leonard NEVER fought again and then tell me who has the fucking audacity to say "I'm the Greatest of All-Time"

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    You paint it. It's not the truth if you paint it. Floyd constantly sent Hatton contracts. Hatton constantly turned them down. They did not send counter offers. But you want to blame Floyd so you do. Watch the video of Hattons dad the night Judah lost to Baldimir and you will see him saying "we expect to get another offer from Floyd by the morning and we will not accept". This happened because Floyd was headed to a Judah fight for the belts, everyone thought. And since Judah lost they thought Floyd would turn to them. Ask yourself, do people turn down offers they haven't even seen yet if they are looking for a fight? No counter offer? If you could be honest about the answers to those questions than a discussion about the truth can begin.

Cut and paste this in your search bar if you want to hear Ricky saying himself that they repeatedly turned Floyd down

If you want to know why the Margarito fight didn't happen it's right here. Mind you this article has BOB ARUM stating that if Floyd wanted to buy out of his contract there was a limited window to do so and BOB ARUM himself admits Floyd was willing to fight him for the 8 million except it came with a contract extension and in this extension he was only willing to offer 7 million for Hatton or Cotto. Fights Floyd made 40million +. The deal was garbage. That's why it didn't happen. That's unslanted truth

And use some sense. Would Floyd have been worried about how much he would get vs DLH, Cotto and Hatton specifically if he didn't want to fight them? And if it's logical to conclude he did want to fight them then who held them up? It's not a complicated question. We all know the real answer, just some don't want to admit the answer.
    sure thing Ron

Sending contracts doesn't mean the contracts are good or fair, I could EASILY "send you a contract" which I know you'd refuse doesn't mean a fucking thing. Floyd fought who he wanted when he wanted to fight them and at the weight he wanted to fight them at....prove me wrong.

As for Margarito, ok, so Floyd was injured, he fought Baldomir in November of 2006....Margarito fought Joshua Clottey in December of 2006...THE...FIGHT...COULD....HAVE....BEEN.....MAD E....FULLSTOP

"
    Theory?!?!? It's not a theory it's the truth...you think Hatton was like "Hold on Floyd, I don't want you at 140 where I'm undefeated I want you at 147 where I damn near lost to Luis Collazo and then moved back to 140" you think Miguel Cotto was like "Let's wait before we fight Floyd, let's build this fight up after I've lost a few times and swapped around trainers" you think they did that?

Hey, at the end of the day, they had choices. Take the fight or don't take the fight, It's plain and simple really. Plenty of other people are quite happy to step on the Floyd Gravy train because they know it's the best money they can earn for a fight in their career. I've asked this before and I'll ask again, Why do you think that is?

If Floyd REALLY REALLY took on the biggest and baddest of his era then IMMEDIATELY after Margarito beats Cotto then Floyd would have stepped up....WHAT?!?! Floyd NEVER fought Margarito?!?!? Floyd NEVER fought Paul Williams?!?!?!

Do you honestly believe that Floyd wouldn't have beaten Margarito? look what Pac did to him. and besides, why the fuck should he fight that cheating cunt? I can't believe people feel Floyd (or anyone else) should fight this prick. Also, do you think Margarito would've beat Cotto without having 3 tons of stone in his gloves? as for Paul Williams, I do believe he started to move up the divisions and that's why the fight never really materialized.

It is fucking moroninc to assume that Floyd had no leverage in the sport...

maybe it is, BUT WHO ASSUMES THIS? I never once said he had no pull, what I said was WHY?

if you're P4P #1 then you have pull, but at the same time you can make fights occur easier or you can be difficult to negotiate with and if you're really difficult to negotiate with you can wait around for 1 guy for YEARS that's what he did with Hatton, it's what he did with Cotto, it's what he and Pacquiao did with each other. Floyd ain't the only guy who has done this kind of thing before, typically it's promoters who do that but Floyd was running his show so he was a promoter for himself and he took the fights he wanted to take simple as that.

Yet again, How did he get to have such a big say? the thing is it's alright given a long winded reply, but sometimes you need to answer the questions asked in order to make your reply viable.
    OK, you're a prize fighter, boxing is your ONLY means of providing for your family and you're going to fight someone calling himself "The Greatest of All-Time" and he's going to pay you a pittance....do you take that fight? Or do you attempt to negotiate more money for yourself?

Who knows if Floyd would beat Margarito or Williams, he never even got close to fighting either one of them. Who knows if Floyd would have lasted with a prime Miguel Cotto ro a Ricky Hatton at 140, who knows we sure as shit didn't fucking see that did we?!?!?!

Pacquiao and Mosley and Cotto II ain't the Margarito I'm talking about numbnuts there's a difference between THAT guy and the guy who gave Cotto his first L....sure there's the loaded wraps angle to this as well, the point is Floyd NEVER fought Margarito, he NEVER fought Paul Williams....remind me who Ray Leonard NEVER fought again and then tell me who has the fucking audacity to say "I'm the Greatest of All-Time"
    I'm not saying he isn't audacious and I'm not saying he is the GOAT.
    What I'm saying is that he has every right to put himself forward. Others will make their opinions of that.
    If you were in the top 2 p4p for nigh on 20 years and you were never beat, and you fought as many hall of famers as he did, don't you think you would be bigging yourself up?
    Btw. You still didn't answer the questions. Answer them and it'll all fall into place "numbnuts " 😉

El Kabong Guest

I'm not saying he isn't audacious I agreeand I'm not saying he is the GOAT. I agree
    What I'm saying is that he has every right to put himself forward.I agree Others will make their opinions of that. That's what I've done
    If you were in the top 2 p4p for nigh on 20 years and you were never beat, and you fought as many hall of famers as he did, don't you think you would be bigging yourself up?
    Btw. You still didn't answer the questions. Answer them and it'll all fall into place "numbnuts " 😉
    Did he fight them in their primes? Did he fight them at their best weights? Did Floyd beat the BEST versions of the fighters he fought.....Duran beat the best version of Ray Leonard, Ray Leonard beat the best version of Tommy Hearns, Ali-Frazier, Holyfield-Bowe, etc.

Floyd is a great fighter and I've never said he wasn't talented, amazing talent, amazing skill. My issue is that he waited guys out....now more power to Floyd for being able to focus on the likes of Carlos Baldomir and not slipping up, but as a fan wouldn't it have been more impressive to beat Margarito at that point? Wouldn't it have been more impressive to beat an undefeated Cotto, and undefeated Paul Williams? Just saying Floyd had plenty of opportunity to make those things happen and he chose not to.

You look at a guy like Rocky Marciano where there's not many top tier fighters in the division and there's no bouncing around weight classes to make a superfight happen...he fought everyone he beat everyone.

You look at Floyd's resume and there are a couple more names you could have fit in there, there were a few fights which should have happened earlier, but it is what it is....great talent, but does he get to say "I'm the greatest, I'm the best!" and not actually be held to a standard? NO not in my view he doesn't....great fighter, greatest? Not by a longshot!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I'm not saying he isn't audacious I agreeand I'm not saying he is the GOAT. I agree
    What I'm saying is that he has every right to put himself forward.I agree Others will make their opinions of that. That's what I've done
    Btw. You still didn't answer the questions. Answer them and it'll all fall into place "numbnuts " ������
    Did he fight them in their primes? Did he fight them at their best weights? Did Floyd beat the BEST versions of the fighters he fought.....Duran beat the best version of Ray Leonard, Ray Leonard beat the best version of Tommy Hearns, Ali-Frazier, Holyfield-Bowe, etc.

Floyd is a great fighter and I've never said he wasn't talented, amazing talent, amazing skill. My issue is that he waited guys out....now more power to Floyd for being able to focus on the likes of Carlos Baldomir and not slipping up, but as a fan wouldn't it have been more impressive to beat Margarito at that point? Wouldn't it have been more impressive to beat an undefeated Cotto, and undefeated Paul Williams? Just saying Floyd had plenty of opportunity to make those things happen and he chose not to.

You look at a guy like Rocky Marciano where there's not many top tier fighters in the division and there's no bouncing around weight classes to make a superfight happen...he fought everyone he beat everyone.

You look at Floyd's resume and there are a couple more names you could have fit in there, there were a few fights which should have happened earlier, but it is what it is....great talent, but does he get to say "I'm the greatest, I'm the best!" and not actually be held to a standard? NO not in my view he doesn't....great fighter, greatest? Not by a longshot!
    First of all, I don't necessarily disagree. I certainly don't think he was the greatest, but he has the right to put himself into consideration. Rightly or wrongly, he could turn around and say "yeah, but what have SRR,SRL,ALI, Louis all got in common? They all lost! Marciano never lost, but my record is better. I beat more champions in more weight divisions."
    Now Floyd is a prick as a guy although he has mellowed and grown up a little. But as a Boxer, there hasn't been anyone better in the last 25 years.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Ron, wtf did Floyd waste a fight against Judah after he had already lost to Baldimor?
    That I have absolutely no answer to. I won't pretend to have an answer to it though or make up an answer to suit my belief. I thought the fight was off when Zab lost for sure. Have to admit I got that wrong.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here in Michigan we back Joe Louis, SRR, Stanley Ketchel, James Lights Out Toney and my favourite, the Motor City Cobra.

We don't back Pretty Gay "I like to slap women around" Floyd Mayweather.
    I assume you know all the reasons this post is ignorant. There are a lot for so few words. If you don't know ask and I will explain to you tomorrow.
    There's nothing ignorant at all about the post! Don't be daft
    Either you're trolling or your ignorant. That's why I said "I assume you know....". So that means you know about SRR history of domestic violence, you know Tommy Hearns criminal violence charges etcetera. Your post was too obvious. You'll troll better if you don't make it so obvious. Use some real facts and slip in your agenda. Make it hard for us to tell you BSing. If it's all hypocrisy and blatant hypocrisy you fool nobody.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=El Kabong;1414215]

sure thing Ron

[QUOTE=Primo Carnera;1414169]"

I supplied facts and you supplied opinion not addressing those facts. So let me explain it again

Hatton turned down contracts and made no counter offers. You started this saying it wasn't Hatton that was delaying it. I supplied a piece where Hatton says out of his own mouth that they weren't looking to fight Floyd. Facts. I alreafy proved you wrong.

As for Margarito you skip over the main factors. If Floydwa nted out of his contractt he couldn't wait, there was a timetable to the buyout option. And if Floyd did sign to fight Margarito the contract included an extension that would only get him 7 million for Cotto or 7 million for Hatton and no DLH fight. That's about 100 million in losses. It was a shit f'n contract. Try and debate that fact. Try!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We could always discuss his legacy in the scope of his cherrypicking and avoiding real threats, but let's all agree on something: he's a terrible and shit human being
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ron, wtf did Floyd waste a fight against Judah after he had already lost to Baldimor?
    That I have absolutely no answer to. I won't pretend to have an answer to it though or make up an answer to suit my belief. I thought the fight was off when Zab lost for sure. Have to admit I got that wrong.
    Not trying to get in the middle of this debate/discussion or choose sides, but have a slightly different perspective than the two of you on the Floyd-Zab fight. I feel that the fight was still made because most of the public felt that while Zab lost to Baldy, he was still the better fighter and bigger threat to Floyd. Not saying that this perception was right or wrong, just saying that most felt Zab was his typical, arrogant self, and had lost due to taking Baldy lightly and looking ahead to fight Floyd. I actually thought it was an interesting match up, and think it was a solid performance/win for Floyd. I also think it is a positive that he went on to beat Baldy after, so he could claim the lineal championship. Anyways, don't want to derail your conversation, just wanted to add to it. I will back out now!!!

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Not trying to get in the middle of this debate/discussion or choose sides, but have a slightly different perspective than the two of you on the Floyd-Zab fight. I feel that the fight was still made because most of the public felt that while Zab lost to Baldy, he was still the better fighter and bigger threat to Floyd. Not saying that this perception was right or wrong, just saying that most felt Zab was his typical, arrogant self, and had lost due to taking Baldy lightly and looking ahead to fight Floyd. I actually thought it was an interesting match up, and think it was a solid performance/win for Floyd. I also think it is a positive that he went on to beat Baldy after, so he could claim the lineal championship. Anyways, don't want to derail your conversation, just wanted to add to it. I will back out now!!!
    Wasted fight because there was no reason to have it and Floyd could have fought someone who was a real threat not someone who lost to a poor fighter who was on a good run.

Regarding Hatton, Floyd would have had a tougher fight against him at light welter that is for sure.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd left unbeaten, with his health and the most earning. I think he won on all sides.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that FMJ was a great champion but I don't let his defensive brilliance make me think he was a great fighter.... Floyd always looked to avoid contact in the ring and that's just not my thing in boxing.... I like guys that are willing to risk all in order to land their own best punches.....

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Floyd fights the MMA fighter then it shows exactly what a cosmetic and plastic fighter Floyd was on the ATG list.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

I supplied facts and you supplied opinion not addressing those facts. So let me explain it again

Hatton turned down contracts and made no counter offers. You started this saying it wasn't Hatton that was delaying it. I supplied a piece where Hatton says out of his own mouth that they weren't looking to fight Floyd. Facts. I alreafy proved you wrong.

As for Margarito you skip over the main factors. If Floydwa nted out of his contractt he couldn't wait, there was a timetable to the buyout option. And if Floyd did sign to fight Margarito the contract included an extension that would only get him 7 million for Cotto or 7 million for Hatton and no DLH fight. That's about 100 million in losses. It was a shit f'n contract. Try and debate that fact. Try!
    Thank you Ron for working so hard to prove my point for me in your very own argument

You mean somebody can turn down a contract because the contract is bad?!?!?!?! I mean WOW, what a surprise.....but Hatton didn't do that he turned down the contract because why again?

Hey did Floyd counter offer contracts for that extension?

HAHAHA

Thread Information