Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The WORST rivalries

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default The WORST rivalries

Sure in boxing everyone loves Ali-Frazier, LaMatta-Robinson, Basilio-Fullmer, Marciano-Walcott, Luois, Schmelling, Dempsey-Tunney, Leonard-Hearns, Leonard-Duran, Ali-Foreman, Ali-Norton, Cotto-Margarito, Gatti-Ward...there have been some magnificent matchups and great rivalries in boxing's history but there have absolutely been some crap rivalries too.

What rivalries were pushed on us by promoters? What rivalries did the fighters think meant something to the average boxing fan and really nobody gave a flying fuck about.

I write this because of an article I read at Fightnews.com Fightnews.com #1 source for boxing news on the web

Yes the AMAZING matchup between Danny Green and Anthony Mundine but another "rivalry" has been stirred up recently which is just as bad David Haye vs Tony Bellew. To both of these I say....

Well gents, which "rivalries" irked you? Was it Larry Holmes vs Butterbean

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The WORST rivalries

I think to have a good rivalry in the true sense of the word, at least in boxing, you need several things:

Quality
    Relevance
    Public interest
    .... and a little bad blood doesn't hurt, either

All those rivalries mentioned in your first sentence featured most if not all of the above.
    When you mention Haye-Bellew, it fails miserably on just about all the ingredients.

But to answer your question, I can't think of any "bad" rivalries right off hand.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the manufactured rivalries against Duran when he was old were silly against Pazienza and Camacho.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the worst rivalry in boxing history is HANDS DOWN, Mayweather vs Pac.

They ducked and dodged each other for 7-8 years. Mayweather was scared of Pac and Pac was scared of a drug test. So the fight doesn't get made when they're at their best.

Then many years pass, Pac slows down and isn't killing guys like he used to, has been knocked cold by JMM, so Floyd finally summons up the balls to fight Pac now that he's weakened.

All the shit talk, all the hoopla, all the anticipation, and it's one of the worst abortions of a fight ever!

Fuck that rivalry! I hope the next shit Floyd takes comes out square.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Promoters get in where they fit in and push rivalries from neighborhood, Country or just convenient familiarity. Honestly Manny v Marquez 1-101 seemed a bit unnecessary but we did get a great finale planking out of it. Bronco McKart v Winky Wright x 3.. Cooney v Holmes had to pushed with all the wrong reasons?

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bradley v pack man 3 times!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Great calls on both (Duran/Camacho/Paz and Pac/Bradley)!!! I'm a huge Evander Holyfield fan, but his "rivalry" with John Ruiz was horrible. It is by far the worst to me, since as a Holyfield fan I was forced to watch probably the ugliest series in history. Just proves that Norman Stone and Ruiz could make anyone look bad in there.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I think to have a good rivalry in the true sense of the word, at least in boxing, you need several things:

Quality
    Relevance
    Public interest

All those rivalries mentioned in your first sentence featured most if not all of the above.
    When you mention Haye-Bellew, it fails miserably on just about all the ingredients.

But to answer your question, I can't think of any "bad" rivalries right off hand.
    When people say "Oh he's just trying to sell the fight" in the build up to any fight I hate it. Haye is one of the worst about it because he'll do all of these outrageous things and then bail on a fight....either you hate the guy enough that you're serious in which case money is less of an issue OR you're a con artist with no backbone....Haye is most certainly a con artist

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Great calls on both (Duran/Camacho/Paz and Pac/Bradley)!!! I'm a huge Evander Holyfield fan, but his "rivalry" with John Ruiz was horrible. It is by far the worst to me, since as a Holyfield fan I was forced to watch probably the ugliest series in history. Just proves that Norman Stone and Ruiz could make anyone look bad in there.
    I am sorry you had to sit and watch those fights but Valuev v Ruiz was even worse.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Quality
    Relevance
    Public interest

When people say "Oh he's just trying to sell the fight" in the build up to any fight I hate it. Haye is one of the worst about it because he'll do all of these outrageous things and then bail on a fight....either you hate the guy enough that you're serious in which case money is less of an issue OR you're a con artist with no backbone....Haye is most certainly a con artist

I agree. And yet some of these guys have an amazingly resilient fan base, to where it seems there's nothing this fighter could do to shake his fan base. Haye has a pretty long "rap sheet", when you think about it. Barging into the HW division and demanding to be put at the front of the line for a challenge to Wladimir...... taking trash-talking to new levels prior to the Wlad fight, promising fireworks only to deliver a wet, spent firecracker..... blaming his piss-poor performance on a hurt toe...... coming up with mysterious eyebrow gashes to get out of fights..... and all the while never shutting his fucking mouth and having an outsized and unrequested opinion about everything. Con artist is I believe a kind description.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Product of Don King in house useless round robin at it's finest. The beginning of the ugliest run in Holyfields career, battered by Toney next and just badly thought out moves to "fight" styles like Byrd and Donald. Larry F'n Donald Just be glad they didn't go for a 4th after "draw" aka Holyfield win in last fight.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Product of Don King in house useless round robin at it's finest. The beginning of the ugliest run in Holyfields career, battered by Toney next and just badly thought out moves to "fight" styles like Byrd and Donald. Larry F'n Donald Just be glad they didn't go for a 4th after "draw" aka Holyfield win in last fight.
    I think Holyfield won all of them and hate Ruiz for faking a low blow when Evander landed a body shot.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I think Holyfield won all of them and hate Ruiz for faking a low blow when Evander landed a body shot.
    Ruiz held Kirk Johnson's head down so that all body shots strayed low and then Kirk was just like "fuck it" and landed one last punch to the testes

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beat me to it. YES. This rivalry sucked.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Groves vs Degale just because they were both before peak and they made it sound a like world title unification fight.

Frampton vs Quigg because Frampton is just a much better fighter and Quigg for me is just, just and I mean just world level.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Thread Information