Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Six Nations 2018

Well, here we go again. This year's 6N promises more blood and thunder, big hits, thunderous physicality and, hopefully, magnificent tries.

Two BIG changes this year; alterations to the tackle laws will have an impact on this year's competition. Players will have to tackle lower, and won't be able to choke off the offload as effectively. Hopefully this won't enfeeble the game or result in too many ridiculous sending offs, but will lead to more attacking rugby and tries being scored.

Secondly, the introduction of bonus points is also intended to encourage teams to attack and take risks. I am presuming that this makes it possible for a team to lose more games than someone else, but to win the tournament on the basis of bonus points? I'm not sure about that being a good thing.

England: are rightly tournament favourites since Eddie Jones has given them some belief in themselves. They are reigning Grand Slam champions and are on a record unbeaten run. A huge player pool, competitive national leagues and the Jones factor make them a tough proposition against anyone. Rediscovering their traditional forward strength, a back line with a few flyers and a metronomic goal kicker in Farrell. If they don't self destruct (because I still think they may be mentally fragile under real pressure) and if they don't believe their own media hype I think they will win the tournament .... but not with a Grand Slam.

France: the great unknowables. Their history is full of massive thuggish forwards and small speedy geniuses in the backs. Their national league is the richest in the world and this has led to so many world superstars playing there that French players aren't getting gametime and experience. They have been utterly miserable in recent years, but have a new coach and hopefully some renewed joie de vivre. On current form they would likely be fourth or fifth .... but I am backing them to up their game. They are at home to Wales, and I suspect that may well be a third place play off.

Ireland: the form team in the Northern Hemisphere. An experienced core of veterans with some talented youngsters coming through to fill the gaps left by recently departed legends. Amazing autumn, beating South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. World class back row. I think they will be in the mix right at the end and their home match against England right at the end will be the key confrontation of this year's tourney. I fancy them to win that encounter, but lose out on points difference or bonus points as England seem capable of posting big points against inferior teams.

Italy: have never managed to up their quality since their inclusion in this tournament, unlike Argentina in the Championship. They have the great Sergio Parisse, who would have walked into any team in the world, but even he can't carry an entire international team on their own. Poor club sides get regularly walloped and I think the players are now just used to losing most games. Every once in a while, they produce a good performance and are usually competitive for 50 minutes. That's not enough, and they are my pick for last place and the Wooden Spoon.

Scotland: their inspirational coach leaves after the 6N and the players will be really fired up for him. They are definitely on the up after a barren few years. Agonising defeat against Australia at the World Cup showed how good they can be on their day, but their talent pool is shallow - only two professional teams in the whole country - and injuries or suspensions would really weaken them. I see tham having fire in their bellies, getting a couple of good results and performances ... but not being able to keep,this up over the incredibly gruelling competition. 5th place.

Wales: my team
    The best team in the Northern hemisphere over the last decade, 3 Grand Slams, 4 6N titles, most of the victorious Lions in Australia and a World Cup semi final. Packed with experience and proven big game players ... but some of those guys are getting on and I wonder whether many team picks are done on reputation nowadays rather than current form. Desperately trying to change their game style away from huge powerful ball carriers and an iron defence towards a more expansive 'Welsh way', but not doing so convincingly. The suspicion remains that the current crop of players has had the creativity coached out of them. Still, a tough team to beat, who are skilled at closing out a tight match. Again, susceptible to injuries. Probably too much firepower for Italy, tricky games away against a resurgent Scotland and France and two massive home matches against both tournament favourites. Cardiff isn't the fortress it was few years ago, but I take them to eke out a win in one of those games. Third or fourth in the tournament this year, which will be seen as a failure by their fans.

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE ......
    Last edited by X; 02-04-2017 at 03:11 AM.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Six Nations 2017

Who ever is last should get relegated and allow Romania et al in because they are now worthy or make it 7 nations.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Who ever is last should get relegated and allow Romania et al in because they are now worthy or make it 7 nations.
    I agree with Master on this one why not let Romania in? Seven is a lucky number then 6 anyway and give those guys a chance let's see how they compete.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, it's been the subject of a lot of debate. Relegation would make things interesting and also be a real motivator for the second tier countries.

BUT; there is a very real gap between the Six Nations sides and those in the Level 2 championship. It's arguable how good it would be for a national rugby programme if their country was getting regularly battered and slaughtered in an annual tournament, plus amateur players would most certainly risk major injuries against the professional behemoths in the top teams.

Realistically, only Georgia and Romania are good enough to even consider being promoted. Italy are by far the weakest team in the 6N and they handily beat both teams last time they played.

Cynically, it is not in the interest of any of the 6N teams to agree to relegation. It would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

In terms of TV revenue, neither Romania nor Georgia bring much to the party.

i suspect th last two points are why it hasn't happened so far.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Italy is my favorite team but like you said they are so used to losing. Hey I have a good idea let's run this by Master. What do you guys think about eliminating Italy from the competition and replacing them with Romania? That wouldn't be more entertaining in my opinion

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

interesting stats in this article, saying that the 6N has the highest average crowd attendance of any team sport including the football World Cup, cricket, NFL etc.

Im sure it probably technically true, but of course there are much fewer games than any of those mentioned so total crowds will be considerably smaller than some rivals.

Still, a nice stat 👍🏼

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Italy is my favorite team but like you said they are so used to losing. Hey I have a good idea let's run this by Master. What do you guys think about eliminating Italy from the competition and replacing them with Romania? That wouldn't be more entertaining in my opinion
    So, it's pretty undeniable that Italy are better than Romania, so how is it more entertaining for Romania to take their place? They would lose every game by 80 points, so what's the difference?
    Let's not forget that in the Autumn, Italy best South Africa. In the last 35 years, who have Romania beat, even once?
    The only possibility is that every year, the team that finishes bottom of the 6N has to play off against the team that finishes top of the 2nd tier (Probably Georgia) for the following
    season's entry.
    They're never gonna do that because in the last 5-10 years, Scotland have finished bottom and they wouldn't have that.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    The only possibility is that every year, the team that finishes bottom of the 6N has to play off against the team that finishes top of the 2nd tier for the following
    season's entry.
    That's a good idea. Playing against the best has improved Argentina's rugby.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welcome back Scotland!

Cracking opening game, Scotland were pretty devastating in taking their chances. Magnificent comeback by Ireland.

The game could have gone either way to be honest, Ireland will be kicking themselves as they let the jocks off the hook in the second half really

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: Six Nations 2017

X superheavy Dia Gareth Davis....Ryan Giggs...your boys took a he'll of a beating by us. That comeback must hurt.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wales England was a massive game, colossal hits all over the place, drama a plenty, both teams had their periods of dominance, the Wales try was a thing of beauty. To say England nicked it or got out of jail is a bit disrespectful of both teams for me. It suggests England should have rolled them over which was never going to be the case. That said we did once again benefit from a wayward kick at the death, finished off clinically.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What are the Italians playing at Primo? I blame you personally for their bad sportsmanship and general poor play.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    What are the Italians playing at Primo? I blame you personally for their bad sportsmanship and general poor play.
    I take full responsibility! They make so many fucking basic errors. Stupid thing to say, but if they cut out the daft errors, they would stand a decent chance of winning some games.
    Great coaching team in place, hopefully they can unearth some talent and cut down the error count.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

WTF was up with that final? A penatly try should have been awarded and the overtime was ridiculous.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

England won yet lost. Never take on the Irish on St Patricks day weekend.

Thread Information