Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Charlie Mingus

When I want to relax often I'll smoke a j and listen to some Charlie Mingus. I feel he was one of the finest jazz musicians of all times and, along with Herbie Handcock, one of my sure faves.

Loud, aggressive music is good in small doses, but if you indulge too much it will rot your brain, corrupt your palate and turn you into a lazy communist (especially if you listen to too much punk rock).

Mingus was no choir boy, he had a bad temper and became known as the Angry Man of Jazz. I reckon he would have been a boxer, had he not had such an innate gift for music.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Charlie Mingus

I was first turned on to Charles Mingus in 1977 with the out-of-this-world "Three or Four Shades of Blues" and was first acquainted via that album with Sonny Fortune and Danny "The Meanest Motherfucking Axe-Murdering Drummer in History" Richmond.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

listen to mingus while giving cunninglingus

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Legend never dies

El Kabong Guest

Angry jazz....what an oxymoronic pairing. I've never thought of jazz as being angry music but if you're just talking about the guys playing the music then Miles Davis has to be up there in terms of being an angry guy.

I had yet to be introduced to Mingus and for a second I figured you were going to talk about Hugh Mungus .

When it comes to jazz I like everything except maybe some of the crazier bebop which is just not as musical to me. I like the hot stuff, I like the cool stuff, but the way out there crazy bebop shit. I'll give Mingus a whirl and see how I like him, thanks for the post.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll have to copy and paste this from Wiki. I think @Beanz would like Charles Mingus, being such a tough guy!

As respected as Mingus was for his musical talents, he was sometimes feared for his occasionally violent onstage temper, which was at times directed at members of his band, and other times aimed at the audience.[22] He was physically large, prone to obesity (especially in his later years), and was by all accounts often intimidating and frightening when expressing anger or displeasure. Mingus was prone to clinical depression. He tended to have brief periods of extreme creative activity, intermixed with fairly long periods of greatly decreased output.

When confronted with a nightclub audience talking and clinking ice in their glasses while he performed, Mingus stopped his band and loudly chastised the audience, stating "Isaac Stern doesn't have to put up with this shit."[23] Mingus reportedly destroyed a $20,000 bass in response to audience heckling at New York's Five Spot.[24]

Guitarist and singer Jackie Paris was a first-hand witness to Mingus's irascibility. Paris recalls his time in the Jazz Workshop: "He chased everybody off the stand except [drummer] Paul Motian and me... The three of us just wailed on the blues for about an hour and a half before he called the other cats back."[25]

On October 12, 1962, Mingus punched Jimmy Knepper in the mouth while the two men were working together at Mingus's apartment on a score for his upcoming concert at New York Town Hall and Knepper refused to take on more work. The blow from Mingus broke off a crowned tooth and its underlying stub.[26] According to Knepper, this ruined his embouchure and resulted in the permanent loss of the top octave of his range on the trombone – a significant handicap for any professional trombonist. This attack temporarily ended their working relationship and Knepper was unable to perform at the concert. Charged with assault, Mingus appeared in court in January 1963 and was given a suspended sentence. Knepper did again work with Mingus in 1977 and played extensively with the Mingus Dynasty, formed after Mingus's death in 1979.[27]

In 1966, Mingus was evicted from his apartment at 5 Great Jones Street in New York City for nonpayment of rent, captured in the 1968 documentary film Mingus: Charlie Mingus 1968, directed by Thomas Reichman. The film also features Mingus performing in clubs and in the apartment, firing a .410 shotgun indoors, composing at the piano, playing with and taking care of his young daughter Caroline, and discussing love, art, politics, and the music school he had hoped to create.[28]

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh wow someone posted the documentary on Vimeo. This is a cool little watch, 60 mins cinema verite style. Mingus is a mad man, he's getting kicked out of his apartment, he's talking about the mafia killing Kennedy, and he's firing off his rifle in his apartment hahaha

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by vidgil View Post
    Loud, aggressive music is good in small doses, but if you indulge too much it will rot your brain, corrupt your palate and turn you into a lazy communist (especially if you listen to too much punk rock).

That would explain your amazing intelligence and debating skills.

After 30 years of it my brain is well and truly mush

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stop spamming this thread with awful "music".

You're an old man listening to teenager music, that would explain why you have the mental capacity of a teenager!

@brocktonblockbust I bet Beanz still sports torn up jeans and a "Devil Lock" to feel young BWAHAHAHA

Thread Information