Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gennady Golovkin v Daniel Jacobs - 18/3/17 MSG

Can't wait for this one and i see this as Golovkins biggest test to date against the "miracle man".
    Two MASSIVE punchers with KO records of - Jacobs 88% and Golovkin 92% so there's no way this goes the distance.

We saw Golovkin backed up a few times with a bloody nose against Kell Brook last time out, read into that what you like but the facts are that was a Welterweight doing it to him, surely Jacobs has watched that fight over and over and will (i hope) just meet GGG centre ring and have a tear up.

On the other hand even though Brook did back GGG up Golovkin seemed to thrive on it and just waved him in for more.

This has war written all over it and i'll be staying up for this one.

Championship Boxing returns to “The World’s Most Famous Arena” on Saturday, March 18th with a must-see match-up between the two best Middleweights in the world! Unified Middleweight Champion GENNADY “GGG” GOLOVKIN returns to “The Mecca of Boxing” to defend his titles (WBC, WBA, IBF, IBO) against WBA Middleweight Champion and Mandatory Challenger DANIEL "THE MIRACLE MAN" JACOBS.

Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs), originally from Kazakhstan but now living in Los Angeles, currently holds the highest knockout ratio (92%) in Middleweight Championship history which has quickly distinguished him one of the most exciting attractions in all of sports. “GGG” will be going for an incredible 24th consecutive knockout victory when he steps into The Garden’s famed ring on March 18th. The bout will mark Golovkin’s fifth appearance at MSG.

Brooklyn's Jacobs (32-1, 29 KOs) is one of the biggest punches in the sport, winning his last 12 fights all by stoppage. "The Miracle Man" will look to prove that he is the best Middleweight in the world by handing "GGG" the first loss of his career.

Consensus #1 Pound-for-Pound Fighter in the World and World Boxing Council (WBC) Super Flyweight Champion ROMAN “CHOCOLATITO” GONZALEZ, (46-0-0, 38 KO’s), fighting out of Managua, Nicaragua, will defend his title against Mandatory Challenger SRISAKET SOR RUNGVISAI (41-4-1, 38 KO’s) of Si Sa Ket, Thailand. Chocolatito vs. Rungvisai will be the co-feature to the World Middleweight Championship

Former World Boxing Council (WBC) Super Flyweight Champion CARLOS “PRINCIPE” CUADRAS, (35-1-1, 27 KO’s) of Mexico City, Mexico returns to battle against cross-town rival and Former World Title Challenger DAVID “SEVERO” CARMONA, (20-3-5, 8 KO’s), also of Mexico City, Mexico. Cuadras vs. Carmona, scheduled for ten rounds, will also be featured on the televised undercard.

Top Lightweight Prospects, WBC Lightweight Continental Americas Champion, RYAN “BLUE CHIP” MARTIN, (17-0, 10 KO’s) of Cleveland, Ohio via Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Port Chester, New York’s BRYANT “PEE WEE” CRUZ, (17-1-0, 8 KO’s) will battle in a scheduled ten rounder.

World Championship Boxing: Golovkin vs. Jacobs
    Last edited by smashup; 02-24-2017 at 01:11 AM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin v Daniel Jacobs - 18/3/17 MSG

Still no UK TV network has come out and said they are showing this one, 99% sure it'll be Boxnation though.

I've heard a rumour that GGG (if he wins) will fight Billy Joe Saunders later in 2017 in Kazakhstan during EXPO 2017 - quite a few sites reporting this story.

Golovkin vs Saunders may take place in Kazakhstan

Saunders more or less admits a Golovkin fight is very nearly done and dusted here - BJS is SHIT at keeping a secret "I'm not gonna say it's Golovkin but he's (next opponent) gotta come through a tough test first and it's no walk in the park"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlyx...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by smashup; 02-24-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Documentary on Jacobs

A rising star in the pro boxing world, Danny Jacobs cemented himself as a fighter with vicious knockout power and tremendous speed. In May 2011, he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. With a tumor aggressively wrapping itself around his spine he was told that if he survived, he would never box again.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Roboto]Two years and six fights removed from that diagnosis, we followed Danny leading up to his WBA middleweight title bout. In part 4, Danny takes on Jarrod Fletcher and finally gets a chance to make a moment he’s been dreaming about a reality.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Jacobs, but I am not sure he can do much against GGG who is a machine still in his prime. To beat him he needs to get rusty and there are no signs of that happening yet. I will support Jacobs as I have a thing for underdogs, but I am not sure what he can do against someone not only so rounded, but so powerful. Even the jab is a power punch.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I assumed it was on BoxNation. Sky spending all the PPV wonga on the international fights has been a kick in the bollocks to BN already this year.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Daniel Jacobs leans on Andre Ward and a 'Hulk' mind-set while readying for Gennady Golovkin

It seems that almost everything Daniel Jacobs hears about his March 18 opponent, Gennady Golovkin, is that the mauler from Kazakhstan who’s won 23 consecutive fights by knockout is an unbeatable machine.

Jacobs, who has already defied a more monstrous challenge, is making a multi-pronged effort this training camp with hopes of toppling the unbeaten, three-belt middleweight champion at Madison Square Garden.

Part of it involves expert consultation with unbeaten, three-belt light-heavyweight champion Andre Ward. Part of it summons “The Incredible Hulk.” And some relies on the benefits of nutritionist Chris Algieri, the former champion boxer and Jacobs’ fellow New Yorker.

Jacobs (32-1, 29 knockouts), continuing training at Virgil Hunter’s gym in Oakland for the HBO pay-per-view bout, told The Times in a phone interview Tuesday that Hunter and his star pupil, Ward, have reinforced in him the idea that Golovkin is mortal.

“He’s human, and whatever monster people are making him out to be … really, don’t believe the hype,” Jacobs said when asked about Hunter and Ward’s advice. “That’s the approach I’ve had coming into this fight. It’s why I accepted the fight.

“Just because he’s done these things to other opponents, those guys aren’t me. He’s promoted as this big monster. … We don’t care about any of that stuff. I’m going to step in there and prove I’m the best middleweight out there.

“Obviously, we’re prepared for the best ‘GGG,’ but my focus is on the things I need. If I can be the best me and control the pace to my liking, and do the things I like to do, I’m sure I’ll be successful.”

Less than two years ago, Ward flirted with the idea of fighting Golovkin, so he has an idea of how to approach the menace who stopped his most recent bout by breaking the orbital bone of England’s Kell Brook.

“Andre and I have had several one-on-ones and he’s even gotten up in the ring with me one time to show me some techniques I’m grateful for,” Jacobs said. “Andre Ward is a guy I look up to, a guy I have the highest respect for in and out of the ring, so anytime he can give me some kind of advice, I’m like a sponge.

“We have different styles, so it’s not about what he would do, but the obvious things I know about Gennady Golovkin’s style and what I think I can capitalize on that get reiterated. Andre and I both move well and we’re both fast, but at the same time he gives me advice that fits me.”

Jacobs took encouragement from how Brook landed punches in the early rounds of their bout in England, and after Jacobs’ impressive first-round disposal of Peter Quillin and five-knockdown destruction of former champion Sergio Mora, he sees a path to an upset.

Part of it comes in the confidence of supreme conditioning. Algieri, a former 140-pound champion, was cooking for Jacobs as he spoke Tuesday, and Jacobs said the benefits of those meals are undeniably positive.

Mentally, it’s a return to how Jacobs pulled himself from the darkness of his past cancer diagnosis.

Once weakened to the point of requiring a wheelchair during the 2011-12 health battle, Jacobs sees parallels in the mind-set needed to deal with that situation and with the test against Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs).

“That was the mentality I had when doctors told me I couldn’t box again,” he said. “I had to prove to myself it was mind over matter. This fight is going to be no different.”

The outcome could be decided by whether Jacobs — who was knocked down once by Mora in their first meeting in 2015 and stopped in the fifth round by Dmitry Pirog in 2010 — can take a flush punch from Golovkin to the head.

“It’s not that farfetched of a question, because I have been down in the past, but I don’t think I get the credit [for chin toughness] that I deserve,” Jacobs said. “Fans have seen these things and they know Golovkin’s power. So it’s easy to criticize me and say that might be the thing that doesn’t allow me to win this fight: ‘If he gets hit, will he be able to take those shots?’

“But you’ve got to think back to the guys who’ve been in the same position as me, like a ‘Buster’ Douglas [against Mike Tyson], Aaron Pryor against Alexis Arguello, Sugar Ray Leonard against those guys [Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler].

“It’s a mentality — the strength you have to not go down, to not be hurt when you’re hit. Going down can be triggered by your mental state. This is a fight I believe in, and I believe I can be victorious. And I also believe I have to become somewhat of a superhero, a ‘Hulk’ in some sense — to have the type of mentality that when I get hit, I tell myself, ‘This doesn’t hurt, this doesn’t have to stop me from achieving my goal.’”

Daniel Jacobs leans on Andre Ward and a 'Hulk' mind-set while readying for Gennady Golovkin - LA Times
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is Jacobs the man to defeat GGG I don't think SO.
    Nothing I have seen in Jacob armoury will make a dent in GGG.
    He will be systematically taken apart as all other contenders were.!
    GGG reminds me of Hagler he dominates and beats the crap out of his opponents and both are feared.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There has not been a single fighter who stood up to go up can and met him head-on like a freight train delay Joe Frazier would fight or Rocky Marciano would fight or Mike Tyson. That is the Kryptonite to beat a guy like Golovkin meet him head-on boom boom boom straight on power for power a guy like Marvin Hagler would destroy Golovkin I mean destroy. Golovkin would not even last half of the amount of rounds that John the Beast mugabi lasted

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just don't think Jacobs can stand up to GGGs power. Sooner rather than later Golovikn is going to catch him and hurt him.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As cliché as it is I think Jacobs only has an early window here and it will close rapidly as the minutes tick away. His power is legitimate but he has massive holes when he closes..especially after hurting a guy..and I'm not sure he's improved to prevent the power boxing Pirog did on him. I mean Ishe Smith even had him seriously hurt. Love his story and very likable guy you cannot help but root for but he becomes unraveled very quickly when under heavy fire. With that though it would be very unwise for Golovkin to get cocky as he has recently, or bored, and do that very dumb thing of letting a guy unleash and invite punches. Jacobs will go out swinging and on his shield.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    As cliché as it is I think Jacobs only has an early window here and it will close rapidly as the minutes tick away. His power is legitimate but he has massive holes when he closes..especially after hurting a guy..and I'm not sure he's improved to prevent the power boxing Pirog did on him. I mean Ishe Smith even had him seriously hurt. Love his story and very likable guy you cannot help but root for but he becomes unraveled very quickly when under heavy fire. With that though it would be very unwise for Golovkin to get cocky as he has recently, or bored, and do that very dumb thing of letting a guy unleash and invite punches. Jacobs will go out swinging and on his shield.
    Its funny you should say that about Jacobs. Pirog, right before clobbered jacobs was able to lock him up by switching stances momentarily. Apparently its still there because it happened in the Mora fights too. Mora just never picked up on it. If an ortho crosses over momentarily within range on Jacobs. Its almost like Jacobs has a brain fart and goes deer in headlights against the rops. His first instinct it to try an jab but it starts low and leaves a lot of real estate open on the return.

I don't know if pirog saw it and worked it. But it wasn't a fluke. Mora's sneaky and just tries to switch up and veil punches but he showed that window of opportunity is still there and Jacobs doesn't or can't close it.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Its funny you should say that about Jacobs. Pirog, right before clobbered jacobs was able to lock him up by switching stances momentarily. Apparently its still there because it happened in the Mora fights too. Mora just never picked up on it. If an ortho crosses over momentarily within range on Jacobs. Its almost like Jacobs has a brain fart and goes deer in headlights against the rops. His first instinct it to try an jab but it starts low and leaves a lot of real estate open on the return.

I don't know if pirog saw it and worked it. But it wasn't a fluke. Mora's sneaky and just tries to switch up and veil punches but he showed that window of opportunity is still there and Jacobs doesn't or can't close it.
    Better stated than I could have bud. Yeh I just don't think Jacobs does two things at once well. He can get behind the quality stick and move around or his attack is all out when he thinks he has a guy hurt. When he's pressured he gets stuck and vulnerable. The Mora KD was pretty telling to me as there was no set up whatsoever, Jacobs crossed himself coming in with no thought of defense and Mora squared, sat down and loaded up on one wide left hook. He's not a guy who can make many mistakes with a real banger and mentally he becomes frayed.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just spells disaster.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not even sure we'd be having this conversation if Quinlin didn't come in so cold and starstruck. (Kudos to Jacobs for being ready and mauling crazy legs though to seize the moment). Jacobs has a great story and maybe him playing the race card on whys hes not selling out arenas has soured me, but I'm rooting for GGG on this one. Something about Jacobs having like 3 trainers now (with hunter and ward now in on gameplan) and algieri hired as the nutritionist just makes it seem like Jacobs haggled so he would have enough money to feel like he could buy the win or at least tilt the ring in his favor feel cheap. That tells me he already thought he wasn't good enough to win as is. It may all come rushing back when he gets hit.

Also If I'm Abel Sanchez, I bottle some of Jacobs offense/"power" by putting a word in the refs ear during the prefight instructions about those punches to the back of the head and pushes that happened in the fray to mora and quinlin.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    I'm not even sure we'd be having this conversation if Quinlin didn't come in so cold and starstruck. (Kudos to Jacobs for being ready and mauling crazy legs though to seize the moment). Jacobs has a great story and maybe him playing the race card on whys hes not selling out arenas has soured me, but I'm rooting for GGG on this one. Something about Jacobs having like 3 trainers now (with hunter and ward now in on gameplan) and algieri hired as the nutritionist just makes it seem like Jacobs haggled so he would have enough money to feel like he could buy the win or at least tilt the ring in his favor feel cheap. That tells me he already thought he wasn't good enough to win as is. It may all come rushing back when he gets hit.

Also If I'm Abel Sanchez, I bottle some of Jacobs offense/"power" by putting a word in the refs ear during the prefight instructions about those punches to the back of the head and pushes that happened in the fray to mora and quinlin.
    LOL did not realise about the race thing or getting in additional people which means he gets less money.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information