Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Extra round in boxing eg extra time

If the fight is declared a draw then an extra round would be fought to establish a winner. I think if this rule was ever brought in then....the people dont know boxing. That extra round could kill someone if the the fight had of been a real brawl, i think it wouldnt be a good idea.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Extra round in boxing eg extra time

Who suggested this? :S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    Who suggested this? :S
    No one...just bored at home at 10.40 pm and thought we could discuss it
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

have a wank, go to sleep... wake up early and 'seize the day' :P

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Worst case scenario... one or both of the boxers suffer serious injurys and the round is score 10-10...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakey
    If the fight is declared a draw then an extra round would be fought to establish a winner. I think if this rule was ever brought in then....the people dont know boxing. That extra round could kill someone if the the fight had of been a real brawl, i think it wouldnt be a good idea.
    This used to be a rule for the USBA title when the world title fights were 15 rounds, the rule no longer applied when they changed the world championship fights to 12 rounders. The 13th round could have been removed before the world title fights went to 12 rounds but I'm not sure when.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The NABF tried it in the late 80s, it did not work, but the likes of Ron Essett does have a curious WS13 Sanderline Williams because of the rule

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=004582

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always wondered...

Are there more draws now, because we have an even number of rounds (12) as opposed to the older days when there were 15 for title fights?

Math says that there should be more draws nowadays. A six round split. It's more difficult to score a draw with an odd number of rounds, such as 15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai
    I always wondered...

Are there more draws now, because we have an even number of rounds (12) as opposed to the older days when there were 15 for title fights?

Math says that there should be more draws nowadays. A six round split. It's more difficult to score a draw with an odd number of rounds, such as 15.
    But then due to 10 point must, judges are more cowardly and score more rounds even (that is not judging IMO), so maths is not a significant factor IMO.

IMO there are more draws in World title fights today; but that is down to the fact; sadly, there are more world title fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
    I always wondered...

But then due to 10 point must, judges are more cowardly and score more rounds even (that is not judging IMO), so maths is not a significant factor IMO.

IMO there are more draws in World title fights today; but that is down to the fact; sadly, there are more world title fights.
    cc
    Yeah, I know about the draw round. But statistically it must be easier to score a draw with 12 rounds. Putting the more title fights into account, your right about the more draws. But could that be due to the 10 to 12 rounds they use...

agh, whatever. heh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc
    Yeah, I know about the draw round. But statistically it must be easier to score a draw with 12 rounds. Putting the more title fights into account, your right about the more draws. But could that be due to the 10 to 12 rounds they use...

agh, whatever. heh.
    [click] back

Back when the 10 point must was not around, and they scored a point to the victor of a round, it was very easy to see when a judge scored a round even: eg if a fight is scored 115/115 it is instinctively less obvious that two rounds have been scored even, than scoring the fight 5-5-2, because straight away, you can see that two rounds were even, according to a judge. Hence IMO, some judges now hide behind ten point must.

We both make good points, IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People use to fight 15 rounds why would 13 be so bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    People use to fight 15 rounds why would 13 be so bad?
    Because you are not ready for it, if you fight for 12 rounds, then you hang around for the decision (which is at least five minutes), then have to fight another round cold, you may very well cause yourself an injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i actually like the idea, thats the only thing i like about k1. speaking as a fighter myself im not sure if i would be to happy about fighting on when im already running on empty. still i like the sentement because it will stop all of these boring draws. caugh...toney....caugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw1991
    i actually like the idea, thats the only thing i like about k1. speaking as a fighter myself im not sure if i would be to happy about fighting on when im already running on empty. still i like the sentement because it will stop all of these boring draws. caugh...toney....caugh.
    But like suggested the NABF tried it, it did not work...

Thread Information