Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default UK Heavyweight boxing

I have often said that US, and to a lesser extent UK heavyweight boxing is on a downer because other sports are more lucrative and carry less financial risk to the participant.

Take some recent examples.

David Haye makes 'good' money with an alphabet belt, undisputed at Cruiser, probably the best recently but career now over through injury

Tyson Fury gets one good payday for undisputed world title, then goes loopy on booze and Hokey Cokey, future work courtesy of promoters.

Olympic champion Audley Harrison proves to be gun shy as a pro heavyweight and is now deciding wether to scratch around in the celebrity jungle or be a doorman.

Man mountain David Price is looking at building site work in the future.

Big fit lads can and do get good, regular money for Rugby Union, let alone Rugby League or American football, why on earth should they put up with not being paid when injured, or dealing with shites like Warren and Hearn, and not knowing who controls the next payday?

I'm not saying I know what the answer is, but this is certainly the fucking problem! Boxers are 'shot' and discarded by promoters when they get beat, promoters are no such thing, they only put on rigged blue corner shows. The only boxers that will survive for the next few years are those with Hatton-like local followings, they are becoming fewer.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: UK Heavyweight boxing

Not sure about those examples (if i've correctly understood what you mean, not sure?), those geezers earned fortunes.

Haye's reported dough just from the weekend was estimated at £5 million quid. Plus he earned more than double that when he fought Wlad. Audley owns a bunch of businesses and lives in LA. And those celebrity TV shows pay 6-figure fees - cushy little number.

Fury looks far from from skint. Owns a couple of lovely caravans and several pony's.

If the boxers blow their fortune that's their fault. And at the other end of the scale, it's common for young boxers to be put on a wage.
    Last edited by Fenster; 03-07-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's the best it's been domestically since I can remember!? And I love it

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Highest Paid Rugby Players In 2016

Win, lose, draw, rain, snow, etc etc. No promoter hissy fits, no dealing with snakes like Warren. I know where I would advise my grandsons to go.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Not sure about those examples (if i've correctly understood what you mean, not sure?), those geezers earned fortunes.

Haye's reported dough just from the weekend was estimated at £5 million quid. Plus he earned more than double that when he fought Wlad. Audley owns a bunch of businesses and lives in LA. And those celebrity TV shows pay 6-figure fees - cushy little number.

Fury looks far from from skint. Owns a couple of lovely caravans and several pony's.

If the boxers blow their fortune that's their fault. And at the other end of the scale, it's common for young boxers to be put on a wage.
    I agree with the 'look after yourself' logic, and also understand that David was one of the most recently astute in terms of sorting his moneymaking potential out. But for a six foot two and a bit lad who is a bit fit and going for pro sport, boxing aint it!!! Fifty grand a week, free pies and pints, sick pay, nothing to do with scumbags like Warren, you work it out!!!!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All of those examples are at the very highest echelon of Rugby - if you're only a decent Premiership player for example, you'll not be making much more than the guy working in the bank, and probably not earning as much as a successful independent builder who employs a couple of guys. Plus the only English based player on there is the one who got dragged over from Rugby League - and is frankly nowhere near worth the money paid for him. Realistically, if the boy if over 6'4" and is well built, I'd go for boxing. Particularly as even just a few wins against mediocre opposition can get you in and around the British title, and some reasonable cash.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    All of those examples are at the very highest echelon of Rugby - if you're only a decent Premiership player for example, you'll not be making much more than the guy working in the bank, and probably not earning as much as a successful independent builder who employs a couple of guys. Plus the only English based player on there is the one who got dragged over from Rugby League - and is frankly nowhere near worth the money paid for him. Realistically, if the boy if over 6'4" and is well built, I'd go for boxing. Particularly as even just a few wins against mediocre opposition can get you in and around the British title, and some reasonable cash.
    Thanks for that, will be interesting to watch future progress of HW prospects.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post

Win, lose, draw, rain, snow, etc etc. No promoter hissy fits, no dealing with snakes like Warren. I know where I would advise my grandsons to go.

You have to be much more than just big and fit to play rugby. You need excellent hand eye coordination, superb technique and an understanding of the nuances of the game.
    You need to be a more dedicated athlete than a boxer, as you've got to be in peak condition week in week out throughout the season .... no big binges between fighting every year or every six months.
    plus, I would argue that you are more likely to suffer a brain injury in rugby than in modern boxing.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post

You have to be much more than just big and fit to play rugby. You need excellent hand eye coordination, superb technique and an understanding of the nuances of the game.
    You need to be a more dedicated athlete than a boxer, as you've got to be in peak condition week in week out throughout the season .... no big binges between fighting every year or every six months.
    plus, I would argue that you are more likely to suffer a brain injury in rugby than in modern boxing.
    In the USA failed American footballers take up boxing as Seth Johnson did.

Thread Information