Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Joe Saunders looks set to face Gennady Golovkin in unification mega fight.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Billy Joe Saunders looks set to face Gennady Golovkin in unification mega fight.

Britain’s unbeaten WBO middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders appears to be on the verge of announcing a massive unification showdown with Kazakhstan’s unbeaten WBA, WBC and IBF champion Gennady Golovkin, providing ‘triple G’ beats Daniel Jacobs this Saturday.Saunders’ promoter Frank Warren wrote in his column for BoxingScene last week that both he and Saunders will be ringside for the Golovkin-Jacobs fight, thus sending the already-active rumour mill for this fight into overdrive.
    In December, Saunders made a less-than-convincing first defence of his WBO crown against Russian challenger Artur Akavov. This victory, which came after almost an entire year of inactivity, put an end to a frustrating period for the 27-year-old.
    As a result of Saunders’ lacklustre 2016, the WBO declared he would have to face two mandatory challengers in his next two fights, the first one being the dangerous Georgian Avtandil Khurtsidze. On February 6, the WBO announced an extension of negotiations for Saunders v Khurtsidze; with a purse bid set to take place on February 9 should no deal be reached.
    February 9 passed and we heard nothing.
    Then, almost three weeks later, Frank Warren announced that another of his middleweights, Tommy Langford, who is also ranked highly with the WBO, would now be facing Khurtsidze instead for an ‘interim’ WBO belt. This suggests a deal was reached which satisfied both Saunders and Khurtsidze, freeing up Saunders to pursue another fight. You can guess which one.
    On March 6, the less than subtle Saunders decided to do a public video livestream on Periscope to answer questions from fans. When asked about fighting Golovkin, Saunders replied that he would be facing the Kazakh, “very, very, very, very, very soon.” And when asked what date his next fight would be announced he answered, “the 18th of March”. That’s the date on which he’ll be ringside at Golovkin-Jacobs.
    Unless we’ve all been the victim of a massive wind up here, it looks like our very own Billy Joe Saunders is set to take a massive step up in class and face Gennady Golovkin for the chance to become the undisputed (WBA/WBC/WBO/IBF) middleweight champion of the world. That is if Daniel Jacobs doesn’t upset the applecart by beating Golovkin on March 18.
    As for the supposed date and venue for the fight, very little has been spoken about publically. It has been rumoured that the plan is for the fight to take place in Golovkin’s home country of Kazakhstan on June 10, in order to tie in with the opening night of the EXPO 2017 event taking place there this year. This is far from concrete.
    All signs are pointing to Golovkin v Saunders next and it sounds like we can expect Frank Warren and his man to step up into the ring at Madison Square Garden and announce this fight should Golovkin defeat Jacobs on Saturday. But then again, this is boxing after all and nothing is certain.

Read more at Billy Joe Saunders looks set to face Gennady Golovkin in unification mega fight if GGG beats Danny Jacobs | talkSPORT
    Last edited by smashup; 03-14-2017 at 03:27 AM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Billy Joe Saunders looks set to face Gennady Golovkin in unification mega fight.

how much ambition does it show from saunders, the fight taking place in Kazakhstan?

surely it wouldn't take much for him/his team to negotiate America, after all that's where GGG fights
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Billy Joe Saunders looks set to face Gennady Golovkin in unification mega fight.

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    how much ambition does it show from saunders, the fight taking place in Kazakhstan?

surely it wouldn't take much for him/his team to negotiate America, after all that's where GGG fights
    The boxers (and promoters) will fight where they can get the most money. BJS is not big in the USA or here and GGG probably wants a good home coming fight which this is.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's because of Expo 2017 being held in Kazakhstan for the first time ever - the event lasts about 4 months and millions of people will attend as it's the first one ever in central Asia.
    Golovkin has said a few times he'd love to fight in his home country during it and give his home fans a big show

He's made no secret that he wants to Unify so this surely will happen plus BJS/Warren will be ringside in New York and are making their announcement of Saunders next opponent then - obviously the winner of GGG v Jacobs.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd be amazed if this happens. Saunders doesn't want any of GGG!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Not many do to be fair and he may as well just give him the belt, he is that good.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What else does Saunders do at this stage of his career though?

His mandatory fight with Avtandil Khurtsidze is no longer happening as he's now fighting Tommy Langford for the interim title, so it's highly likely to be between Golovkin or Lemieux. Other than that the top 10 pickings are Andy Lee (already beat him), Eubank Jnr (already beat him) Cotto, N'dam or Sulecki.

Saunders needs a BIG fight this year and i reckon it'll be Golovkin as it's the money fight and Golovkin badly wants that belt.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post

What else does Saunders do at this stage of his career though?

His mandatory fight with Avtandil Khurtsidze is no longer happening as he's now fighting Tommy Langford for the interim title, so it's highly likely to be between Golovkin or Lemieux. Other than that the top 10 pickings are Andy Lee (already beat him), Eubank Jnr (already beat him) Cotto, N'dam or Sulecki.

Saunders needs a BIG fight this year and i reckon it'll be Golovkin as it's the money fight and Golovkin badly wants that belt.
    Never happens

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd also be astounded if this happens, based on his last fight. Isn't he so far away in form that the matchup makes no sense?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amazed so many of you think this won't happen?

It 100% will be Golovkins next fight, he constantly says he wants ALL the belts - all set for June and talks are well underway

Saunders thinks he now has a real chance after Saturday.

I don't think he can take the power of GGG and let's be honest the only reason Jacobs could was the fact he was fighting as a Cruiserweight

Jacobs did show that a slick boxer can outbox GGG but he's gonna hit you hard at some point and if you can't take it your fucked.

Hatfield-based Saunders said: “I’ll travel anywhere to fight him, I’m not bothered about fighting him in Kazakhstan, I’ll fight him in a field for all I care. “Golovkin is strong but he can be outfoxed. A boxer always beats a puncher and he has never faced anyone as awkward or tricky as me. “I’ve seen faults and flaws in him that I know I can take advantage of. I want to see how good I really am. In my own head, I know I am capable of beating him. “I am in my prime and ready to take on the best. I want to give the fans what they want to see. He wants the WBO belt and I have it. I am willing to put it on the line.” Golovkin said: “This is my dream fight. My goal is all the belts in the division. Billy Joe Saunders is my last step, my dream. I want this fight.” - See more at: Saunders is Ready: Golovkin Has Flaws, I'll Fight Him Anywhere! - Boxing News

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gennady Golovkin opens talks with Billy Joe Saunders over middleweight unification fight

Read more:

Gennady Golovkin in talks for 'dream fight' next but it won't be against Canelo Alvarez | Metro News

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jacobs did fight southpaw with some success but Saunders must be at his very best just to not get stopped by GGG.

I do not think GGG will allow the weigh in to be so early again for his opponent to gain as much weight again as Jacobs did. That was bordering on an unfair fight.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Jacobs did fight southpaw with some success but Saunders must be at his very best just to not get stopped by GGG.

I do not think GGG will allow the weigh in to be so early again for his opponent to gain as much weight again as Jacobs did. That was bordering on an unfair fight.

Totally agree @Master this bullshit needs to be stopped, wtf is the point in weight divisions if certain fighters can just take the piss and come into the ring at 180 lbs and fight for Middleweight titles as a Cruiserweight.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Totally agree @Master this bullshit needs to be stopped, wtf is the point in weight divisions if certain fighters can just take the piss and come into the ring at 180 lbs and fight for Middleweight titles as a Cruiserweight.
    I don't think it'll really be an issue against BJS, he isn't big at the weight is he (ignoring the pictures of him but even then that is just pure flab) I don't think that BJS could inflate himself to the point it would be unfair.

I'm glad that the fight is happening, it has to, really it makes more sense than GGG fighting ginger pubes (ignoring the money that would be involved and talking from a purely boxing point of view)

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think GGG will not move weight until he meets Canelo not just for the money but for all his running, ducking and diving here is not hiding place for Alvarez. Nor should there be.

His excuses for the fight not happening are comical and becoming legendary.

Thread Information