Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  67
Dislikes Dislikes:  1

Poll: Who wins Linares v Crolla 2

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Linares vs Crolla 2

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Linares vs Crolla 2

Linares vs Crolla: Lightweight rivals meet again at the top of packed Manchester bill live on Sky Sports

Anthony Crolla will attempt to regain his WBA lightweight title in a rematch with Jorge Linares at the top of a packed Manchester bill.

The hometown favourite was beaten on points by Linares following an exciting battle last September and they will meet again at Manchester Arena this Saturday night, live on Sky Sports.

On a packed undercard, Brian Rose battles fellow Blackpool man Jack Arnfield, and Martin J Ward defends his British title against Maxi Hughes, while Katie Taylor, Marcus Morrison and debutant Lawrence Okolie are also in action.

Revenge is firmly on the mind of Crolla, who is desperate to avenge his close-fought defeat to Linares, with the WBA belt, WBC Diamond title, and Ring Magazine strap all at stake in the second fight.

During an exciting first encounter, Crolla was hurt in the sixth round after a costly defensive lapse, and Linares finished strongly to claim the verdict by a narrow margin on two of the three scorecards.

But the Mancunian has vowed to make amends after sharpening his skills in late-night sparring sessions under the guidance of trainer Joe Gallagher.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news...-on-sky-sports
    Last edited by Master; 03-22-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Linares vs Crolla 2

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jorge Linares v Anthony Crolla (WBA lightweight),

Martin Ward v Maxi Hughes (British super-featherweight),

Marcus Morrison v Jason Welborn (middleweight),

Katie Taylor v Milena Koleva (super-featherweight)

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see Crolla having moments of success but see Linares winning a clear decision.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought this was a pretty pointless rematch (even though the first fight was a semi-cracker), however, Joe Gallagher has really piqued my interest from a betting perspective. He said - Linares has got the gloves he wanted this time, Grant punchers gloves, last time they had Everlast pillows. He thinks Linares gameplan is obvious, they really fancy the KO which he says he's drummed into Crolla the whole camp, which in-turn could make Linares even more vulnerable coming down the stretch (obviously it also sounds just like the typical Gallagher tactic of a cautious start).

Last time Crolla couldn't put a dent in Linares, but obviously Linares has the power, as he turned Crolla into a drunk, Crolla said he fought several rounds in a daze, however, the punchers gloves must benefit Crolla's chances of a chinnage too.

So what with Linares boat always cutting and blowing up and his constant hand troubles...

It's 5/4 for the fight to not go the distance.

Crolla is 5/1 for the KO. 15/2 for rounds 7-12. 40/1 (generally) per round from 9-12.

Linares 5/2 KO. Rds 1-6 - 7/1. 7-12 - 5/1.

Early thoughts. Hmm.. probably end up betting on the draw.
    Last edited by Fenster; 03-24-2017 at 05:01 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't be surprised if Linares KOs Crolla. Crolla has been on an excellent run but I don't think he's in Linares' class. If he can keep his paper thin skin together and avoid getting clipped I think Linares wins relatively easy.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do not think anyone wins easy both have too much determination and skills to be blown away.

In the first fight I was supporting Crolla but when I saw the ref bias against Linares I changed sides. Linares was getting beat until he scored that impressive knockdown and then won the fight which was hard on both.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Crolla v Jorge Linares: Joe Gallagher on tears, 16-hour days and a lost marriage

A fighter wins. As his trainer hoists him, those watching see a picture of glory. They do not see the tears.

They do not see the marriage lost to the sport, the deaths of father-figure mentors, the voluntary work, the 16-hour days and decades of relentless commitment.

Trainer Joe Gallagher's deep love for his sport and fighters is undeniable. But it becomes clear the success of Gallagher's Gym is built on an all-consuming desire to prove people wrong. The mantra is clear in this Bolton-based sweatbox: Us versus the doubters.

Days before Anthony Crolla bids to regain his WBA lightweight crown from Jorge Linares, BBC Sport sits in on his last big workout. The gym is once again on the world stage, the way Gallagher dreamed it, through years of toil.

Gallagher has his laptop on a makeshift desk next to the ring. He has four YouTube tabs open as he runs the rule over video footage of opponents.

Former world-title challenger Pat Barrett arrives with nephew Zelfa, who will spar with Crolla. "Joe, your gym is like Barbados," he says. The heat generated from an industrial-sized blower is searing, a ploy to ready fighters for conditions under show lights on fight night.

The detail has delivered world titles to the gym through Crolla, Liam Smith and Scott Quigg - now trained by Freddie Roach in the USA. A dozen British titles have passed through Gallagher's Gym, along with three European belts.

Gallagher - the first Britain-born coach to win Ring Magazine's Trainer of the Year award in 2015 - is careful in who he allows to train here. Egos or the work-shy could upset what he calls a "solid unit" of 11 fighters under him.

"I am a sucker for people telling me about a fighter and saying, 'he can't do anything,'" says Gallagher. "I have to have an affinity with them to bring someone in.

"When Anthony came to me, people said: 'He won't do anything. He's too nice, can't punch. He might win an English title.' I thought: Really? I'll show you."

Gallagher admires Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and those accustomed to creating a siege mentality. He believes his love of such a stance stems from his roots on the colossal council estate in Wythenshawe, south Manchester.

He takes me to his stats board, almost hidden on walls carpeted in fight posters and next to highlighted rankings which show his fighters alongside the world's best.

On the whiteboard, every result of his pro-coaching career from 2001 is listed. There have been 272 fights, 25 defeats and 43 titles won.

We revisit the battle mantra. "When people are putting me down or having a go, I look at that and think: 'That's not bad is it?'" says Gallagher, 48. "I like that mentality - everyone hates us, I don't care. When people say my fighters are finished, I just think: 'We'll see.'"

Crolla enters, bouncing, shadow boxing, loosening up. Inside the Gloves Community Centre - where this gym is based - the handful of people present stare as the 30-year-old stretches. But there's a warning during his sparring session.

"Be smart with your feet, Anthony," Gallagher bellows. "Don't admire your work, whatever you do. Linares can land it back."

The sweat runs from under Crolla's head guard. He trains late to replicate his expected fight time. Gallagher is in his 14th hour of the day in the gym as he fits in the individual sessions needed for fighters peaking at different times.

This is a man who made his own fight debut as a 5st 12lbs 11-year-old, who later ploughed eight years into amateur coaching before guiding pros, and who risked missing the birth of the first of his two children in 1997 so as not to leave a young fighter on his own for a boys' club final.

Through such commitment, something must give? Indeed, the road to sold-out Manchester Arena bouts claimed a marriage.

"There's boxing for you," he says. "I missed so many kids events and parents' evenings by taking people sparring. I didn't blame my ex-wife. I was besotted with boxing.

"When I got two European champions, I thought: I'm packing work in. I had a good job, healthcare and pension. The ex-wife thought I was off my head and called it a hobby."

Gallagher, now with another partner, says his children get "plenty of daddy time" and, through a deep laugh, adds: "I am trying harder to switch off. It's just so hard to get away from boxing. It's not a job, it's a lifestyle."

Sparring ends. Crolla's shirt and hair are stuck to him, his shoulders lifting and dropping with each deep breath.

"Do a bag, Anthony," says Gallagher. "Three rounds." Crolla grunts and mumbles respectfully: "You're a bad man. A bad, bad man."

Gallagher knows his demands are hard but having started out laying roadside kerbs alongside his dad on Sir Matt Busby Way, he knows this life is a dream.

Those in the gym - such as undefeated fighter and ex-Manchester City footballer Marcus Morrison - tell me they draw confidence from the fact Gallagher is hooked on the sport. Some believe he is "obsessed" but attention to detail adds gravitas to his fight strategies.

"Some trainers in the past have had wins and gone out for a month," says an animated Gallagher. "I can't, I'm not like that. Plus, the moment belongs to the fighter.

"When Callum Smith won the European title on a Saturday, I phoned Anthony the next day and said: 'You need to be in the gym.' He said: 'What for? I'm not due in.' I said: 'Now you are, you're in.' It was just to show him that I've not forgotten him."

Rarely does Gallagher stop to enjoy the moment. He was hurt by losing three world titles in 2016 - Crolla against Linares, Liam Smith's loss to Canelo Alvarez and Scott Quigg's defeat by Carl Frampton.

Some in the stable, such as Hosea Burton, 28, have worked under Gallagher since the age of 11, so when defeat arrives, the emotional trauma stings more than placing a dreaded 'L' on the stat board.

With Crolla sitting two feet away, Gallagher looks to the ground and shrugs: "Crolla's caught me crying in the changing rooms. That's how it is. You take it personally.

"You want the best for them and when you know they've put everything in, you just think: 'Why not? This kid deserves this.'

"Last year, the hardest loss came last. Hosea Burton lost with a minute of a fight to go.

"Afterwards, I was wrapping Callum Smith's hands and Hosea comes over crying his eyes out saying 'sorry' to me. I couldn't stop and hug him as we had to go to the ring. When I got back to the changing room, he'd been taken to hospital. My head was all over the place.

"You get down, a bit depressed. But eventually you have to just take the losses the way you take the wins. I'm now 'foot to the pedal' with all of them. There are more rewards for the fighters in this gym."

Crolla has pummelled the bag, yelping with each heavy shot. He's sent for two rounds on the speed bag before ending his session with chin-ups, stretching and abdominal work.

"When I won the Ring Magazine trainer award, I used to ring him and say: 'How did we do this? How have I won this? And how are you a world champion?'

"I want to prove what we've done wasn't a fluke. I want to win that training award again.

"I want my stable to all retire happy and all of them to have a house. I don't want them to be a slave to a mortgage. That's a success story.

"I've insisted that this current crop of fighters, when it's over for them, it's over for me. People say: 'You are kidding yourself.'"

I tell him that I think he is. He laughs.

Crolla prepares to depart, shaking hands with everyone in the room, as every other fighter has, before leaving.

There's a warmth to this title factory and it seems key to all that it is.

Gallagher will be last out, having been first in.

Bout 273 draws closer, and perhaps world title number four.

Anthony Crolla v Jorge Linares: Joe Gallagher on tears, 16-hour days and a lost marriage - BBC Sport

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big Fight Preview: Second time lucky for Anthony Crolla? - - Boxing News - Ring News24

little piece for the Linares Crolla rematch. Really torn on this one. Heart says Crolla, head says Linares.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I do not think anyone wins easy both have too much determination and skills to be blown away.

In the first fight I was supporting Crolla but when I saw the ref bias against Linares I changed sides. Linares was getting beat until he scored that impressive knockdown and then won the fight which was hard on both.
    It was a tough solid fight but Linares won clearly. I didn't see a need for a rematch to tell the truth but here we are. There are some big fights on the horizon for the winner (Linares has already been mentioned alongside Garcia) so I hope neither is looking too far ahead. I would be super surprised if either guy gets bombed out early (it could happen tho). I see Linares leading again on the cards and possibly busting Crolla up late for a stoppage to try and impress.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Crolla believes he will need the best performance of his career to avenge his defeat by Jorge Linares and regain the WBA lightweight title.

Crolla, 30, led on two of the judges' scorecards after nine rounds when the pair met in September but lost the title in a unanimous points decision.

Linares - a three-weight world champion - is a heavy favourite with bookmakers.

"Winning it back on Saturday would, without doubt, be the highlight of my career," said the Manchester fighter.

"There's a lot of people out there who think there's no way I can beat Jorge Linares. Jorge is a great fighter but I'll prove an awful lot of people wrong.

"I'm a realist. I know it's going to take a career best performance."

Both fighters weighed in on Friday at 9st 8lbs 4oz.

In addition to the WBA title, Linares' Ring Magazine belt will also be on the line and victory would see Crolla become the first Englishman to hold it at lightweight.

About 20,000 fans are expected in the Manchester Arena, which hosted Ricky Hatton's famous IBF super-lightweight title win against heavy favourite Kostya Tszyu in 2005.

BBC Radio 5 live commentator Mike Costello, who will be joined ringside by Steve Bunce and heavyweight Hughie Fury, said: "It's the kind of fight that takes us back 30, 40, 50 years.

"These are two men who have won and lost fights and you don't hear of a protection of a record. They put themselves on the line.

"What we saw first time around was a torrid fight and I think we will see the same again. I just can't wait."

Linares is no stranger to fighting on away territory having only contested four of his 44 professional bouts on home turf in Venezuela.

Unable to fight in his homeland under the age of 18, he moved to Japan and made his professional debut at 17 - setting up in Tokyo where he admits he was initially "always lonely".

Since beginning his career at the renowned Teiken Boxing Gym he has built a reputation as a fighter with fast hands and a dangerous counter-puncher.

He was WBC world featherweight champion at just 21, claimed the WBA crown at super-featherweight less than two years later and won the WBC title at lightweight in 2014.

Linares believes he is "better prepared" than he was in his first Crolla meeting, adding: "I'm coming in and doing whatever is necessary to win more convincingly than I did in September."

Crolla, who will contest the seventh rematch of his career, has been forced by trainer Joe Gallagher to reduce media commitments and distractions in the weeks leading up to the fight.

Gallagher believes his charge is in a better place "mentally" and feels the winner of the contest will "strike the jackpot" by potentially setting up a meeting with WBC champion Mikey Garcia in Las Vegas.

"Joe has given me more one on one time than ever before," said Crolla. "I always have faith in what he tells me to do and this time it's certainly been our best camp together.

"We've had more rounds of sparring and we've been smart as well, maybe more rest will have me fresher this time."

Linares had stopped seven of eight opponents before meeting Crolla, who admits their bout turned on a power punch he took in the sixth round.

Gallagher feels Linares' choice of gloves this time around indicate he is targeting a knockout.

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "The brand he has picked are known as a puncher's glove. They allow you to use power.

"When you see the choice of gloves, it gives you an idea of game plan. They want to throw fast combinations, go hard early and try to get the job done."

Anthony Crolla v Jorge Linares: Manchester fighter seeking "highlight of my career" - BBC Sport

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These two are such friendly nice fellas it's ridiculous. The Crolla fans aren't even booing Linares. Fully respected inside and outside the ring.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a proper weigh-in head-to-head.

Rose push-nuts Arnfield then Bobby Rimmer (geriatric trainer) wants a straightener with his former fighter

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This looks fun. Should be a decent domestic dust up.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also think the draw is the bet @Fenster (sorry mate). You've swayed me a bit towards 'not to go the distance' with your glove talk but literally every time you've ever swayed me before it's gone tits up.

I want to back the draw but the standard draw odds of 22/1 are a liberty in my opinion.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Thread Information