Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BT Sport Boxing Launch Night - Lomachenko v Sosa, Smith v Williams, Flanagan v Petrov

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: BT Sport Boxing Launch Night - Lomachenko v Sosa, Smith v Williams, Flanagan v Pe

Frank isn't having a pop at Eddie is he? Blimey! He spends more time at his press conferences talking about Matchroom fighters than his own.

So Crolla has twice ducked Flanagan... yeah, ducked him to face one of the best fighters in the world. Bet Frank was more than willing to let Flanagan fight on a Matchroom card on Sky too.

Hearn revealed the Flanagan card has sold 400 tickets at the box office and the arena has been halved off. Frank hired a van to sit outside the MEN on the night to advertise his card

The BoxNation mob always play the "Sky ignore us" card, as though they promote all the Sky fighters. They don't even let their presenters mention Sky shows on twitter let alone their magazine shows or live bills.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: BT Sport Boxing Launch Night - Lomachenko v Sosa, Smith v Williams, Flanagan v Pe

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Frank isn't having a pop at Eddie is he? Blimey! He spends more time at his press conferences talking about Matchroom fighters than his own.

So Crolla has twice ducked Flanagan... yeah, ducked him to face one of the best fighters in the world. Bet Frank was more than willing to let Flanagan fight on a Matchroom card on Sky too.

Hearn revealed the Flanagan card has sold 400 tickets at the box office and the arena has been halved off. Frank hired a van to sit outside the MEN on the night to advertise his card

The BoxNation mob always play the "Sky ignore us" card, as though they promote all the Sky fighters. They don't even let their presenters mention Sky shows on twitter let alone their magazine shows or live bills.

Surely they've sold more than 400 tickets. 400 from the actual box office fair enough but then there are all the individuals on the bill selling to their fans and internet sales. No?

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's the last fight I would expect as Easter is an "unknown" title holder like Turbo. Flanagan will continue to defend his belt against solid/obscure opponents whilst claiming all the big names are swerving him (that's his promoters m.o.)
    That's why I thought a unification between the 2 would be worth while. I would raise the stature of the winner. I like Flanagan but I think he may be out of his league against Linares and definitely against Garcia.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

Surely they've sold more than 400 tickets. 400 from the actual box office fair enough but then there are all the individuals on the bill selling to their fans and internet sales. No?
    I said from the box office. Obviously they haven't done just 400 tickets, they'll probably get a couple/few thousand. This is an excellent card, a nerd like me prefers it over AJ-Wlad, however, unfortuantely Frank and the BoXNation mob are invisible to anyone outside the hardcore/nerd (not that it means fuck all to me, I couldn't care less whether there's one man or ten thousand i'm still going to watch).

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saturday night, HBO presents a big fighter in action as Vasyl Lomachenko (7-1; 5 KO) faces Jason Sosa (20-1-4; 15 KO) for the WBO 130 pound world title.

Vasyl Lomachenko is the reason to watch this fight - an absolute phenom, Lomachenko turned pro in 2013, and is already a legitimate two division world champion. He’s fighting as a professional for only the 9th time here, yet he’s already considered by many analysts to be the #1 pound for pound fighter in all of boxing. That status was given an unexpected boost a few weeks ago when Roman Chocolatito Gonzalez, widely considered #1 at that time, lost in an upset. With Gonzalez out, it seems either Lomachenko or Andre Ward has to be #1. This fight likely won’t change anyone’s opinions on Lomachenko, but it should set up what is next for him - perhaps a third world title up at Lightweight, or perhaps some louder volume to the talk of Lomachenko vs. Pacquiao in a dream fight.

Also on the broadcast is the latest from undefeated Cruiserweight Oleksandr Usyk in a good test against Michael Hunter. This will be Usyk’s first fight under new trainer Anatoly Lomachenko. Rounding out the fight is another Ukranian fighter with a similar pedigree, 2012 Olympic Bronze medalist Oleksandr Gvozdyk, who faces Cuba’s Yunieski Gonzalez.

Join us live this Saturday night April 8 for live fight night coverage of HBO Boxing Lomachenko vs. Sosa live on HBO.

LOMACHENKO vs. SOSA FIGHT CARD
    HBO, Sat. April 8, 10:00 p.m. ET

Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Jason Sosa
    Oleksandr Usyk vs. Michael Hunter
    Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Yunieski Gonzalez

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/4/3/...is-live-online
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Yunieski Gonzalez fight is the one I'm most looking forward to. That fight has the makings of an all out brawl.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I may well go, I don't have anything on on Saturday night and to watch it id have to buy BT Sports, Boxnation or stream it and I don't really fancy any of that

at the minute though id be going on my own which isn't the best

do you think its bad parenting taking your 11 year old son?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    I may well go, I don't have anything on on Saturday night and to watch it id have to buy BT Sports, Boxnation or stream it and I don't really fancy any of that

No way. That's bonding time well spent.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

No way. That's bonding time well spent.
    that's what I think, I'm not sure my wife agrees tho

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gonzalez has some beard judging by the bombs he took against Pascal and Shabber (I've only watched highlights but Gonzalez doesn't look like a "typical" Cuban, has a good punch output). As technically excellent as Gvozdyk is, which is backed up with a lights-out right hand, he hit the deck pretty heavy against Karpency, whose looked a virtual powderpuff puncher at world level, but is sort of an awkward mover.

The bookies (only one priced up so far) make the Cuban a 5/1 shot. Hmm.. even if Gonzalez gets beat, should get a run for the money at those odds.

Usyk-Hunter looks better than the odds suggest too. A supposed mismatch on paper, Hunter (7/1, backed from 11/1) was a good amateur, he lost on count-back in the Olympics against Beterbiev and had tons of experience and American success. He has a pretty swift, natural, relaxed look too although not a bone breaking hitter. He looks like a small heavyweight instead of a chiseled cruiser.

Not sure he's worth a shrapnel bet though (was at a double figure price) as Usyk is an outright killer.

Great card for "free" HBO.
    Last edited by Fenster; 04-04-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheapest ticket I can find are £45

Anyone any ideas?

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You should watch the Shabranskyy fight if you get a chance. It's well worth it. The knockdown against Karpency was a surprise. He did get back up and win every round until stopping him in the 6th. So maybe he needed the scare to ground him a little. Hunter is a very good prospect and he does have a decent amateur pedigree but it's just so hard to pick against Usyk. The guy does everything well.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unheralded Cruiserweight Champion Usyk Hopes to Follow Golovkin, Lomachenko’s Road to Stardom

Aleksandr Usyk (11-0, 10 KO’s) is one of the most successful boxers in the world.

Beyond winning a gold medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics, he’s also the WBO cruiserweight champion, having broken Evander Holyfield’s division record by winning a major title in just his 10th professional fight.

And he’s visually striking too.

The gap-toothed, tattooed Ukrainian can often be seen with his blonde hair in a chupryna—a traditional Cossack style that involves shaving the sides of one’s head and allowing one thick lock to fall forward or to the side from the top. (It’s not all that different from the devilock famously worn by Misfits bassist Jerry Only).

What’s more, Usyk is downright vicious. A typical combination from the southpaw involves knifing jabs that give way to perfectly-timed left hooks. But for all the precision, he fights like he’s out for revenge or something, which might be why he’s knocked out 10 of 11 opponents.

“I think people would like to see my fights,” assured Usyk through a translator ahead of Saturday’s title defense against Michael Hunter (12-0, 8 KO’s) at MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, MD.

Usyk may have been referring to all people, but more specifically, he’s really talking about Americans. The native of Crimea already has a following around the Black Sea, where his gold medal made him popular among increasingly nationalistic Ukrainians. And it didn’t hurt that he danced the Ukrainian “hopak” after beating Italy’s Clemente Russo in the finals.

But to properly capitalize on his talent and professional momentum, Usyk needs American audiences, which is why he’s fighting stateside on HBO for the second time this Saturday, ahead of Ukrainian superstar Vasyl Lomachenko’s WBO super featherweight title defense against Jason Sosa.

“It’s very important a very important fight for me, for the fans to see me here,” Usyk said.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for him,” said K2 Promotions’ Tom Loeffler, who handled unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin’s career in a similar way.

Golovkin first developed a reputation as a knockout artist while primarily fighting in Germany for the first few years of his professional career. From there he began making a few stateside appearances, and with the help of HBO, soon became one of the biggest names in boxing.

“It’s the second time he’s on an HBO telecast,” Loeffler said of Usyk. “A lot of people were anticipating the first fight he had over here after winning the title in Poland [against Krzysztof Glowacki]… Similar to Golovkin, there was a lot of people that heard about Usyk and they were excited to see him fight. So we got a good reaction for his debut on HBO. Now, following up, coming back and fighting an undefeated U.S. Olympian, Michael Hunter, so you can feel the recognition building for his second fight.”

And Hunter isn’t a pushover.

He’s landed an average of 20.6 punches per round over his last three fights, according to CompuBox, which is 5.1 more than the average cruiserweight. He also lands 13.6 power punches per round, compared to just 9.4 for Usyk over his last six fights.

Still, nobody is busier than Usyk, who threw a cruiserweight record 99 jabs in the second round of his win over Andrei Kniazev. And he’s not easy to hit either. Usyk’s last six opponents connected on just 12.3% of their total punches and 21.9% of their power shots (the cruiserweight averages are 30% and 37.5%, respectively).

Hunter landed an impressive 44.4% of his power shots over his last three fights, according to CompuBox, but he hasn’t faced the same level of competition that Usyk has.

And therein lies the dilemma for Usyk: the cruiserweight division doesn’t offer a lot of well-known opponents.

Like Holyfield, many have used the cruiserweight division as a back door to the upper echelon of the more profitable heavyweight division. And at 6-3, Usyk certainly has the frame to move up in weight.

But for all of the opportunities above 200 pounds, Usyk would rather unify the titles in what Loeffler believes is an overlooked division.

“Being honest with you, I’m only thinking about what I’m going to do right now, April 8,” Usyk said, later dismissing the idea of moving to heavyweight by saying, “When I eat, I don’t put a lot of food into my mouth.”

“It is a very deep, talent-rich division,” Loeffler said of the cruiserweight division. “With just a little bit of exposure, it can really become one of the hotter divisions over here in the United States. It has traditionally been the Europeans and Eastern Europeans who really dominated the division. Most of the fights took place in Europe. [American] Steve Cunningham, when he was coming up as a top cruiserweight, he had to go to Europe to get the bigger fights. I think with the right amount of exposure, it can really heat up over here.”

But that’s no sure thing.

Cruiserweight stalwart Tony Bellew recently moved up to heavyweight to beat David Haye, and potential fights against Latvia’s Mairis Briedis (22-0), Russia’s Murat Gassiev (24-0), or Germany’s Marco Huck might not really move the needle for Usyk—at least not in the U.S.

He plans on fighting in front of a larger (possibly outdoor) crowd in Ukraine this summer, according to Loeffler. So facing a European cruiserweight would certainly make sense. And with the political tension between Russia and Ukraine, national symbols like Lomachenko and Usyk could succeed in filling large soccer stadiums with their countrymen.

“He’s very proud of his Ukrainian heritage and that's a tough situation over there,” Loeffler said. “He’s originally from Crimea. It’s an active conflict on the border. You don’t really hear about it that much, unfortunately, but it’s still there. I’ve been to Kiev a couple of times since the conflict broke out, and in Kiev you don’t really feel it, but because of the conflict, you definitely sense more of a Ukrainian nationalistic attitude.”

Regardless of what he decides, Usyk’s main goal is to continue to fight—and win—at least three times a year so the public has an opportunity to become familiar with the 30-year-old.

“Keeping him active, that’s how we built Triple-G,” Loeffler said. “He was so active and fighting all over the world. That’s how his star was really built—especially focusing in America. We’re hoping to take Usyk down a similar path.

“He’s a very marketable and exciting personality,” Loeffler added.

And with more exposure, longtime promoter Bob Arum agreed, Usyk will inevitably endear himself to boxing fans everywhere.

“He’s a lovely kid,” said Arum. “Very smart, like [all Ukrainians], and delightful person. He has a world of talent.”

Unheralded Cruiserweight Champion Usyk Hopes to Follow Golovkin, Lomachenko’s Road to Stardom | FIGHTLAND
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information