Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  110
Dislikes Dislikes:  13

Poll: Some Cultures are better than others

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Some cultures are better than others ? True, False, Impossible to answer conclusively

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Some cultures are better than others ? True, False, Impossible to answer conclusi

Wouldn't it be great if every thread had like a real time Running man scenario , we all get gloved or tooled up and go through a maze beating the crap out of anyone who doesn't agree with us
    who be great. winners and losers all get to have many drinks afterwards.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Some cultures are better than others ? True, False, Impossible to answer conclusi

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Dude. Seriously. How do we go from wife beating to eating brains Sometimes I think some of you are itching so much for discord or a beef nowadays that you fail to see agreement when it's right in front of you..

how's this for a silver lining seeing that you brought up the very same thing, from my original post "..yes some are clearly 'better'. I don't eat people AND I drive on the sane side of the road so I by comparison am one awesome motherfucker". I'll never meet the Aghori in my lifetime. I may see them on tv but we'll never cross paths that I can confidently say. The only way I eat a brain is if I turn full Hollywood zombie. Thing is, what else do we know about them. Do we see worth in knowing anything else because they do that foul shit?

And technically speaking we've all seen a few people eat shit . Some whack jobs actually do drink urine. I've seen it in everything from survival courses to athletes and a boxing great doing it on network tv. Not for me though, feck that.
    Ummm we're talking different cultures and in SOME cultures eating brains is apparently not a taboo, it's a part of their social norms, as is spousal abuse....in MY culture those things are frowned upon.

OK so you'll never meet an Aghori, what about a Muslim would you ever meet a Muslim? What about if he is a Muslim of the belief that wife beating is a pretty fucking good time? What of that Spicoli?

I don't want arguments I want people to get a good understanding of what I'm saying rather than jumping to conclusions
    As an individual do you draw a distinction between what you think people 'believe' and what you actually see them do? I've known a couple of Muslims in my life and can say confidently they did not beat their wives. They actually pay taxes and believe in the opportunity that this land provides as long as you're willing to work for it. As stated if I personally see a woman or child being beat then they're getting cuffed up. To date though I've seen more drunkin red necks beat more women than I have Muslims. I have no idea what religion they were. Maybe it's environment or sheer numbers. However what an individual person thinks is not for me to pretend to know. Religion can frankly teaches us all kinds of twisted shit. All of them.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Focusing on violence, not what anybody eats or doesn't eat... it seems the Quran allows and even encourages wife beating in its passages. I don't feel high and mighty enough to claim culture superiority over any other cultures... but this is a definite no-no... at least in our eyes. It's eye-opening to see, however, that a majority of Islamic women agree with wife beating if she's caught cheating. It's ok for them, even if it's not ok for us.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post

- The Islamic devotion to charity, which is prescribed within their religion and followed by nearly every Muslim I've met.

-
    Really? Muslims in Britain? I'm surprised by that. With a straight face I can say the muslims i've known, met, worked for and with in the past were the tightest funkers ever around a pound note. Giving generously to charity is the last thing I would have thought. Interesting.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

- The Islamic devotion to charity, which is prescribed within their religion and followed by nearly every Muslim I've met.

-
    Really? Muslims in Britain? I'm surprised by that. With a straight face I can say the muslims i've known, met, worked for and with in the past were the tightest funkers ever around a pound note. Giving generously to charity is the last thing I would have thought. Interesting.
    Yes genuinely. I lived in the Middle East for a long time (Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Saudi and Dubai). I was quite amazed at what percentage of their money they gave away.
    i know a smaller amount of Muslims in the UK, but it's fair to say that they are more culturally British than Arab so they donate like any other average Brit.
    Last edited by X; 03-31-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Culturally British? Yeah that makes sense, being muslim was never an issue. I would tell them, even my boss and his dad, that they're a bunch of hypocrites (look down on drinkers yet happy to profit from it, loved gambling on a variety of things) and laugh at them when they were waffling about the Quran says this and my imam said that - flying carpets, weeping statues, men as big as dinosaurs, fasting etc. They were never offended.

Have the same harmless conversations today, even if the muslims aren't bothered you'd have a bunch of middle-class SJWs reporting you for racism.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    As an individual do you draw a distinction between what you think people 'believe' and what you actually see them do? I've known a couple of Muslims in my life and can say confidently they did not beat their wives. They actually pay taxes and believe in the opportunity that this land provides as long as you're willing to work for it. As stated if I personally see a woman or child being beat then they're getting cuffed up. To date though I've seen more drunkin red necks beat more women than I have Muslims. I have no idea what religion they were. Maybe it's environment or sheer numbers. However what an individual person thinks is not for me to pretend to know. Religion can frankly teaches us all kinds of twisted shit. All of them.
    Hey, I know Muslims too who are the sweetest people I could ever hope to meet (they're Iranian Shia and not Sunni though soooo there might be your difference)....that doesn't change the fact that I've seen Muslims lopping heads off of "infidels" and stoning rape victims to death in other countries...just because that stuff I haven't witnessed in person doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I've yet to witness a gangland killing but I know they happen....I don't know if I've witnessed a complete solar eclipse but I don't have to see it first hand to know it happens, I haven't witnessed a baby being born first hand but I know they ain't brought to the house by a stork ya feel me?

@Spicoli
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...merica/391760/
    ....would you care to dispute Ayaan Hirsi Ali?

Yes, drunken red necks can/have/will beat their wives too, white collar workers will do it too, but do you not see the difference man? WE DON'T ACCEPT THAT! We don't tolerate that shit! The culture in the United States is that spousal abuse is a horrible thing, it's against the fucking law! That's my point man.

El Kabong Guest

Soooo does I win dis debate then?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    it seems the Quran allows and even encourages wife beating in its passages. I don't feel high and mighty enough to claim culture superiority over any other cultures... but this is a definite no-no... at least in our eyes. It's eye-opening to see, however, that a majority of Islamic women agree with wife beating if she's caught cheating. It's ok for them, even if it's not ok for us.

Tito, The Koran may well say that, but don't forget the stuff that the Christian Bible says too:

- explicit support for slavery, plus rules saying it's OK to beat them hard enough they are incapacitated for two days.

- blatant sexism. Saying men own women, they should all be virgins until they marry (but men don't). They should be put to death for adultery and premarital sex. If a woman makes a noise while being rated, it proves she agreed to it and should be put to death.

- demanding murder. There are whole lists of people who it is OK to kill. Indeed Christians are told who they should murder.

- saying that handicapped people should be killed early on. If you find an older one, it's a good thing to kill them straight away.

- ethnic cleansing is a good thing because if you murder a whole tribe or race, you can have their land and God will be pleased.

- that animal sacrifice is pleasing to God. That animals have no rights and Man is put on earth to command them all.

- killing and torture of all non-believers is an explicit command from God.

All those things are in the Bible, in great detail. Just like the Koran, the Bible is a book of its time. Christians surely can't ridicule the Koran having things in it that we find outrageous.

The problem is the people who do take these books literally - and let's not forget that there are many Christians who do this as well. Granted, they didn't seem to be blowing people up and beheading them ..... but they certainly did worse in the past.

Also, the majority of Muslim women I know most certainly don't agree with wife beating. They are not crazy! Where do you get the data that says the majority of them agree with it?

If I was. Mod on this site, I too would demand human and animal sacrifices, as I would find them pleasing to me.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's not forget that the Christian Bible is just the Jewish Torah. ( with the gospel tacked on for good measure). Also enormous chapters of the Jewish Torah were simply plagiarized and put into the Quran

El Kabong Guest

it seems the Quran allows and even encourages wife beating in its passages. I don't feel high and mighty enough to claim culture superiority over any other cultures... but this is a definite no-no... at least in our eyes. It's eye-opening to see, however, that a majority of Islamic women agree with wife beating if she's caught cheating. It's ok for them, even if it's not ok for us.

Tito, The Koran may well say that, but don't forget the stuff that the Christian Bible says too:

- explicit support for slavery, plus rules saying it's OK to beat them hard enough they are incapacitated for two days.

- blatant sexism. Saying men own women, they should all be virgins until they marry (but men don't). They should be put to death for adultery and premarital sex. If a woman makes a noise while being rated, it proves she agreed to it and should be put to death.

- demanding murder. There are whole lists of people who it is OK to kill. Indeed Christians are told who they should murder.

- saying that handicapped people should be killed early on. If you find an older one, it's a good thing to kill them straight away.

- ethnic cleansing is a good thing because if you murder a whole tribe or race, you can have their land and God will be pleased.

- that animal sacrifice is pleasing to God. That animals have no rights and Man is put on earth to command them all.

All those things are in the Bible, in great detail. Just like the Koran, the Bible is a book of its time. Christians surely can't ridicule the Koran having things in it that we find outrageous.

The problem is the people who do take these books literally - and let's not forget that there are many Christians who do this as well. Granted, they didn't seem to be blowing people up and beheading them ..... but they certainly did worse in the past.

Also, the majority of Muslim women I know most certainly don't agree with wife beating. They are not crazy! Where do you get the data that says the majority of them agree with it?

If I was. Mod on this site, I too would demand human and animal sacrifices, as I would find them pleasing to me.

Easy to answer and with one word for Islam and Christianity

ABROGATION

The Quran like the Bible has 2 halves. In the Bible we go from the very strict and judgmental God to the peace, grace, and sacrifice of Jesus. In the Quran on the other hand we go from Muhammad imploring people to submit to Islam (the Mecca sura) to threatening people to submit to Islam by the sword (the Medina sura) and due to the belief of Abrogation the Medina sura is considered more powerful/meaningful since it came later.

But hey, what can ya do?

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I know in my culture I was drinking this tonight.
    wine.jpg

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is that similar to one of them Pinot Noir Gevrey-Chambertin wines from Cote D'or

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Is that similar to one of them Pinot Noir Gevrey-Chambertin wines from Cote D'or
    Not really Gevrey Chambertin is from Burgundy , This wine is from the Southern Rhone Area.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not an expert on the Bible, X... so I'm nowhere near qualified to rebuff everything you've put there. I'll just state a couple of things. One, that the Bible isn't meant to be taken 100% literately, but rather interpreted as you yourself alluded to, and two.... there is a historical context about the Bible that cannot be ignored. It's like other documents I argue about throughout the history of mankind that are still in use today. Historical context is another factor that must be taken into consideration. But again, I'm far from knowledgeable about the Bible.

My point was regarding the comparison of cultures and in that sense, no I don't subscribe to the notion that some cultures are better than others. Only individuals within individual cultures can be compared, IMO.

Thread Information