Dislikes Dislikes:  20
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: UK general election

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: UK general election

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    What are thoughts on actual Labour Party Policies announced today -

Ban zero hours contracts – so that every worker gets a guaranteed number of hours each week and enjoys some security.
    Ensure that any employer wishing to recruit labour from abroad does not undercut workers at home - because it causes divisions when people are played off against each other.
    Repeal the Trade Union Act and roll out sectoral collective bargaining – because the most effective way to maintain good rights at work is through a trade union.
    Guarantee trade unions a right to access workplaces – so that unions can support and reach members and potential members
    Four new Bank Holidays – we’ll bring our country together with new holidays to mark our four patron saints, so that workers in Britain get the same proper breaks as in other countries.
    Use public spending power to drive up standards – including only awarding public contracts to companies which recognise trade unions.
    *Zero hour contracts are that big of a deal in the UK? There are that many people in those jobs where it's an issue that needs to be addressed? OK well I guess if you want more unemployed people that can be done, I just don't see the point of it.
    *I can agree with that...but if it comes with a border wall apparently that's "xenophobic"
    *I'm right to work, if you want to join a union do it, if not then don't, I do not want people forced to join unions and don't act like that doesn't happen all the fucking time
    *Again I'm right to work. I do not care for Unions I'm not stopping anyone from joining one, but it should be a choice not a demand.
    *OK, so no Zero Hour contracts but guaranteed time off then? Some people might want to work, they might NEED to work even and those holidays could keep them from making their ends meet.

[QUOTE=Beanz;1429336]
    • Raise the minimum wage to £10 – we’ll bring the minimum wage up to the level of the living wage (expected to be at least £10 per hour by 2020), so that no one in work gets poverty pay.
    • End the public sector pay cap - because public sector wages have fallen and our workers deserve a pay rise.
    • Amend the takeover code to ensure every takeover proposal has a clear plan in place to protect workers and pensioners – because workers shouldn’t suffer when a company is sold.
    • Roll out maximum pay ratios – because it cannot be right that wages at the top keep rising while everyone else’s stagnates.
    • Ban unpaid internships – because it’s not fair for some to get a leg up when others can’t afford to.

*Why only £10? Why not £20 or £30? If £10 is just the living wage why not allow people some excess eh?
    *How will that be paid for? Or is that not something I should ask?
    *Wouldn't know about how your company takeovers work sooo I don't much care
    *2 things max pay will either mean more "benefits" (most likely stock) for those on the higher end of things and also pay is graded for a reason the secretary typically doesn't have the tools to run the business, but I suppose you know what you're doing https://www.propublica.org/article/r...e-than-we-knew
    *Ban unpaid internships? That's a bit heartless no? How would anyone get bled into an industry?

Give all workers equal rights from day one, whether part-time or full-time, temporary or permanent – so that all workers have the same rights and protections whatever kind of job they have.
    Enforce all workers' right to trade union representation - so that all workers can be supported when negotiating with their employer.
    Abolish employment tribunal fees – so that people aren’t priced out of seeking justice when they’ve been treated unfairly by an employer.
    Double paid paternity leave to four weeks and increase paternity pay – because fathers are parents too and deserve more time to spend with their new babies.
    Strengthen protections for women against unfair redundancy – because no one should be penalised for having children.
    Hold a public inquiry into blacklisting – to ensure blacklisting remains a thing of the past.
    Give equalities reps statutory rights – so they have time to protect workers from discrimination.
    Reinstate protection against third party harassment – because everyone deserves to be safe at work.
    Introduce a civil enforcement system to ensure compliance with gender pay auditing – so that all workers have fair access to employment and promotion opportunities and are treated fairly at work.

Does that all really sound like communism to you?
    *All workers don't have equal rights already? Why?
    *What if you want to represent yourself? Will you be coerced to join a Union?
    *I don't mind abolishing tribunal fees any way to have less lawyers involved the better.
    *Yeah why work at all? Why not just get a living wage from the government?
    *Who is penalized for having children? That's a crime if they are at least in the US
    *"Remains a thing of the past" so it's not currently a problem then? Why bring it up?
    *Yes because there is so much rampant discrimination out there.
    *You Brits have lots of issues with this no?
    *I'd rather people in general be paid equal with the work they do rather than what gender they are, but I guess that's draconian

Yes, yes it sounds like communism.....all those Unions and guarantees for the workers you don't think it sounds like communism? Is the businessman guaranteed his profit? NO he's guaranteed to PAY....yeah I'd say you're doing the communist thing pretty well

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    How many times Beanz? Just how many times Beanz, does Lyle have to FRY YOUR FAT, JIGGLY BUTT CHEEKS IN SCHMALTZ, b4 u learn? Its getting sad, mate, the way you, like Cotto when he "fought" Canelo, kept getting REEMED UP THE WAZOO.
    Still nothing to offer then? One could easily draw the conclusion that you are nothing more than a troll with no actual opinions on anything and an investment in nothing more than sowing discord and distracting people from the actual issues affecting them.
    Except that you've just described your very own role playing here on this forum. You just cant make this shit up if you tried.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brock you have zero to add to the thread. On that basis maybe it's time for mods to start holding posters who do not add to threads to account. At least Lyle is now semi trying to engage, but you don't and it's all about winding people up. I have read through 3 pages and all you are doing is looking for trouble. Are you bored?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Brock you have zero to add to the thread. On that basis maybe it's time for mods to start holding posters who do not add to threads to account. At least Lyle is now semi trying to engage, but you don't and it's all about winding people up. I have read through 3 pages and all you are doing is looking for trouble. Are you bored?
    pure fascism right there. I have directly contributed to this thread by discussing Corbyn, May, Labour and other relevant points. You baited me and Lyle into auxilliary stuff.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Banning unpaid internships is ridiculous. They are UNPAID. YOu are effectively saying someone cannot work for free in order to get some exposure and experience. There Miles...... companies should consider the possibility of work-from-home internship options. The biggest barriers to any unpaid internship are without a doubt (unless you live in the frikkin sticks) rent and transport costs, but many of an intern’s responsibilities could be done from home. Research, website-updating, proof-reading and report-writing need just the internet and a desk, and perhaps one single solitary freaking day at the office.
    Last edited by brocktonblockbust; 05-05-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

pure fascism right there. I have directly contributed to this thread by discussing Corbyn, May, Labour and other relevant points. You baited me and Lyle into auxilliary stuff.
    Fascism? So, you still have nothing to add about the election.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
    brock you have zero to add to the thread. On that basis maybe it's time for mods to start holding posters who do not add to threads to account. At least lyle is now semi trying to engage, but you don't and it's all about winding people up. I have read through 3 pages and all you are doing is looking for trouble. Are you bored?
    pure fascism right there. I have directly contributed to this thread by discussing corbyn, may, labour and other relevant points. You baited me and lyle into auxilliary stuff.
    fascism? So, you still have nothing to add about the election. ;d
    i have just posted a relevant internship related thing and there you go again.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Banning unpaid internships is ridiculous. They are UNPAID. YOu are effectively saying someone cannot work for free in order to get some exposure and experience. There Miles...... companies should consider the possibility of work-from-home internship options. The biggest barriers to any unpaid internship are without a doubt (unless you live in the frikkin sticks) rent and transport costs, but many of an intern’s responsibilities could be done from home. Research, website-updating, proof-reading and report-writing need just the internet and a desk, and perhaps one single solitary freaking day at the office.
    Back to the topic of slavery. Unpaid internship is effectively slavery. At least have the decency to pay them something for the time they are giving and throw in a free sandwich for lunch. Talk about a free lunch.

You tell 'em Corbyn. Enough of this neo liberal lunacy. Time to double the wages for the toilet cleaner and half the wages for the executive. If they don't like it they can do what I did. Leave.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Back to the topic of slavery. Unpaid internship is effectively slavery. At least have the decency to pay them something for the time they are giving and throw in a free sandwich for lunch. Talk about a free lunch.

You tell 'em Corbyn. Enough of this neo liberal lunacy. Time to double the wages for the toilet cleaner and half the wages for the executive. If they don't like it they can do what I did. Leave.
    that is obvious, that people should be paid, but one of the issues raised in the OP was AGAINST unpaid internships NOT BCUZ PEOPLE SHOULD BE PAID (which we all agree they should be) but because it would benefit the priviledged: I disagree wiht THAT reason because guess what?.....Balancing a paid job and an unpaid internship is a life lesson. Suck it up. If you're going to take on an internship AND support yourself, then you're going to have to find a paying job, too. And balance them both. Does it suck? You betcha. But it's also a lesson that you're better off learning earlier than later. Hard work (often) pays off.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that is obvious, that people should be paid, but one of the issues raised in the OP was AGAINST unpaid internships NOT BCUZ PEOPLE SHOULD BE PAID (which we all agree they should be) but because it would benefit the priviledged: I disagree wiht THAT reason because guess what?.....Balancing a paid job and an unpaid internship is a life lesson. Suck it up. If you're going to take on an internship AND support yourself, then you're going to have to find a paying job, too. And balance them both. Does it suck? You betcha. But it's also a lesson that you're better off learning earlier than later. Hard work (often) pays off.
    Tell that to the millions either not being paid or not being paid enough to live on. Hard work often isn't enough. I remember working 12 hour days and then every year get told the pay rise was less than inflation because shareholders were more important, that we were not allowed to have a union, that our contract hours were kept to a minimum so they didn't have to pay much on vacation periods, that company pensions were being abolished. Those were some of the reasons I gave up on the UK and by all accounts it has become far more vicious. Zero hours contracts, less job security, harder to form unions, great inequality, just awful. Working hard more often than not does not pay off. If wages go down over a decade you end up working harder just to stay the same or more likely fall behind. Yet the elite have doubled their wealth in the same time. You seem to support this status quo, Trump certainly does in wanting to reduce taxes for the rich.

Corbyn represents the first serious challenge to this nonsense in decades and people have every opportunity to get the wax out of their ears and see sense. The UK under May will be visionless, all they know how to do is tighten the screws. They will destroy the NHS, they are threatening the world with nuclear war, they kneel at the altar of finance. The people exist only to be extracted and used.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The local elections have not gone well for Labour. They are mostly the shire areas which are Tories but the UKIP votes have gone their way and Labour have lost some councils.

We are screwed.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The trouble with internships is that they unfairly favour the rich and privileged. You seem eager despite not being rich yourself to want to carry on the entrenchment of this defunct value system and are mixing it up with aspiration and personall advancement. It is very easy to be an intern at Daddies firm when he gives you an allowance and a range rover and a flat in Mayfair. It is another mater entirely when you have to pay your own rent, have no living parents and have to rely on public transport. You know this but choose to ignore it in order to side with people who would willingly read on you like something distasteful on the pavement. Trump is not your friend and countries should not be run like companies with nepotism at the top.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The local elections have not gone well for Labour. They are mostly the shire areas which are Tories but the UKIP votes have gone their way and Labour have lost some councils.

We are screwed.
    Yes, I was trying to stay buoyant, but it has depressed me. I think I am realising that the strategy of destroying Corbyn through the media, the constant Labour leadership challenges and dividing the country through Brexit have been clever ones. It is all very obvious and calculated when you think about it. I was hoping people would see through it all and look within, but seemingly not. How can Labour be so far down in the polls? It doesn't make any sense. I see some in the alternative media are just saying 'Spoil you ballot paper'. Well how is that going to prove or do anything? I guess they buy into the Corbyn is a Commie oddball narrative too. Divide and conquer to the nth degree.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mate, instead of blaming some media conspiracy, a secret inner cabal of traitors within the Labour Party (ironically, a Fifth Column on non-communists ) or some enormously complex plot to divide and conquer the 'people' by leaving Europe ...... can't you see that the labour vote is being utterly wiped out because people think they are a bunch of useless unelectable tossers!

Diane Abbot appears to be unable to walk and chew at the same time, she seems pretty thick with little grasp of her own policies.

Ive said for a while that Corbyn's rather infantile policies are likely to bankrupt the country. 4 new bank holidays .... they think the people are so stupid that that would be some sort of vote winner, for fucks sake!

People should respect the electorate, just because people don't agree with your own views that doesn't de facto make every single one of them wrong, stupid or hoodwinked.

I believe that a strong Opposition is critical in holding any government to account, and to provide checks and balances against ideological extremism ...... but it is completely Corbyns fault that the Tories are winning all those seats. It's his fault that the Labour Party are in a complete shambles, and it's his fault that it has been taken over by a smallish group of far left totalitarians who have likely made them unelectable for a generation.

If he really was voted in by such an overwhelming margin to be the Leader of the party, where the hell are all those votes!

An effectively One Party country is never a good thing, it's Labour and Corbyn's fault that we seem to be going that way. I'm not a labour supporter any more, but I'm genuinely angry with them for their clueless incompetence.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

X is right, we are out of touch and are the minority.

We have to wait for Siddique Khan after he gives up being mayor of London.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information