Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev Set To Be Ordered, Says IBF

Lindsey Tucker, the Championship Chairman of the International Boxing Federation, confirmed to BoxingScene.com that IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua (19-0, 19 KOs) and mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev (25-1, 13 KOs) will be ordered to begin negotiations in the coming days. - See more at: Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev Set To Be Ordered, Says IBF - Boxing News

So AJ finds himself in the same situation as Fury was when Klitschko activated the rematch clause......
    Last edited by smashup; 05-04-2017 at 04:48 AM.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev Set To Be Ordered, Says IBF

I like this fight, it's a good technical boxer which AJ has to get used to fighting that kind of style. The less he gets hit by those guys the less the power punchers will hit him too. I think it allows AJ a victory lap kind of fight (not that he should take Pulev lightly) and he should be able to go out dominate and score another impressive KO.

I hope AJ does well should this fight come off I think he ends it in 7 if he's in good shape and recovered from the fight with Wlad.

Also hopefully this will set up one of the following: A rematch vs Wlad (after Wlad has a tune up fight just to get back in the W column), a unification bout vs Wilder (everyone wants THAT fight), or the "Battle of Britain" vs Tyson Fury which is no doubt a gigantic fight that a lot of people want to see. For me, I'd like to see AJ vs Wilder it's undefeated vs undefeated it's power vs power, and I think it could be one of the biggest fights in the past 20 or so years just because the timing of it fits so perfectly only problem would be where to hold it US or UK? It'll be amazing regardless of location I am sure.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    So AJ finds himself in the same situation as Fury was when Klitschko activated the rematch clause......[/FONT][/SIZE]
    Mandatories happen Gee I wonder if AJ will balloon up to 500 pounds and snort a bunch of cocaine in protest

Wlad has a rematch clause, it's kinda standard procedure at this point

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not the worst mandatory if he has to take it. Pulev is a pretty decent fighter.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's a good fight for Joshua to take at this stage. It gives Wlad time to decide if he wants the rematch and also it's a fight that's winnable against another contender but will present stylistic difficulties for AJ to gain experience from.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a bad fight off of Wlad and would rather see him vs Pulev than have ibf ship someone far less into that infamous #1 "not rated" spot. Not sure how heavy bagging Kevin Johnson and beating a Mardi Gras float sized Sam Peter get you #1 but Pulev has some tools. Be interesting to see AJs growth and new approach after Wlad learning experience.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Not a bad fight off of Wlad and would rather see him vs Pulev than have ibf ship someone far less into that infamous #1 "not rated" spot. Not sure how heavy bagging Kevin Johnson and beating a Mardi Gras float sized Sam Peter get you #1 but Pulev has some tools. Be interesting to see AJs growth and new approach after Wlad learning experience.
    I think it was the chisora fight that got him into the mandatory spot somehow and he has been taking the crap keep busy fights since then(fat sam and fat kev :S)...

Pulev is good but I dont think he has the power to keep joshua off him for the whole fight, he could win some rounds early though, he seems to be smart when it comes to the rough side of boxing too so he could frustrate him a bit too but I would be betting on joshua landing something big and putting him to sleep at some point.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I think it was the chisora fight that got him into the mandatory spot somehow and he has been taking the crap keep busy fights since then(fat sam and fat kev :S)...

Pulev is good but I dont think he has the power to keep joshua off him for the whole fight, he could win some rounds early though, he seems to be smart when it comes to the rough side of boxing too so he could frustrate him a bit too but I would be betting on joshua landing something big and putting him to sleep at some point.
    Think your right with power and keeping AJs respect. It's a good contrast really and as impressive as he was beating Wlad, tons of factors off a win like that. It's a career win but it's not a career conclusion. Does he have a let down? Still lacks late rounds and not a defensive wiz. But eventually Pulev will run out of ring. I just don't understand why the ibf cannot fill it's legit mandatory number one slot. They are the only sanctioning group to maintain these crooked "not rated" slots in all but 3 divisions last I checked. Still though who cares, it's a good match.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its refreshing to open a thread about a potential defence for a world champ and everyone being positive about it

I think its a good fight also
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    For me, I'd like to see AJ vs Wilder it's undefeated vs undefeated it's power vs power, and I think it could be one of the biggest fights in the past 20 or so years just because the timing of it fits so perfectly only problem would be where to hold it US or UK? It'll be amazing regardless of location I am sure.
    Joshua gets more people at his weigh-ins than Wilder does his fights.

Wilder isn't a PPV fighter in the US, he's not even a Vegas fighter or draw outside his 5-10k in Alabama. His biggest fight outside there - with Stiverne - did 4000 tickets (that's probably comped too).

Wilder is happy to play the b-side against Bellew let alone Joshua.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yep I'd be happy with this as his next fight - despite it being what I believe a quick 4-5 round easy win for Joshua.

Only seen Pulev fight once against Wlad.

Let's face it we'd be well excited about this one had the Klitschko fight not happened.

We'll know a bit more about AJ after this too.

Can't help feeling that 'milk the game for all you can' Haye will somehow get his opportunity in the next 12 months...
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sky probably did not want Haye, Wilder and Bellew on the same platform with all their ego's there would have been fireworks.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    For me, I'd like to see AJ vs Wilder it's undefeated vs undefeated it's power vs power, and I think it could be one of the biggest fights in the past 20 or so years just because the timing of it fits so perfectly only problem would be where to hold it US or UK? It'll be amazing regardless of location I am sure.

Wilder isn't a PPV fighter in the US, he's not even a Vegas fighter or draw outside his 5-10k in Alabama. His biggest fight outside there - with Stiverne - did 4000 tickets (that's probably comped too).

Yeah I get all of that, I really really do....I also get that NYC and Las Vegas are places that fight fans travel to...Alabama not so much.

It does make more sense to hold those fights in the UK, but again I ain't the promoter and promoters are going to decide where these fights happen...I agree with you, I'm just saying there's a possibility the promoters decide to hold the fights in the US especially for such a crazy amazing fight as this....first undefeated champ vs undefeated champ since Holyfield-Bowe I, that's a HUGE thing for boxing in general.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Yeah I get all of that, I really really do....I also get that NYC and Las Vegas are places that fight fans travel to...Alabama not so much.

It does make more sense to hold those fights in the UK, but again I ain't the promoter and promoters are going to decide where these fights happen...I agree with you, I'm just saying there's a possibility the promoters decide to hold the fights in the US especially for such a crazy amazing fight as this....first undefeated champ vs undefeated champ since Holyfield-Bowe I, that's a HUGE thing for boxing in general.
    If this fight were to happen, it could land in the States, but I very much doubt that.
    Wilder can guarantee £5m - £10m in the U.K. Money talks and he would be well up for that.
    No matter how big it became in the States, apart from Floyd/Manny, when was the last time 2 fighters shared £20m - £30m?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to see Joshua have a similar fight like this against Parker, but this would be a good match too. Let's wait just a bit for another super fight. Let Joshua have a victory lap and sharpen his skills a bit more. Get that glittering 20-0 20 KOs record then go for Wilder.

Thread Information