Thread: Golovkin-Canelo OFFICIAL!!!- Sept 16th

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin-Canelo OFFICIAL!!!- Sept 16th. (Apologise to Fishnets. Cretins) Fact.

I think Canelo will win some rounds but Golovkin has that fantastic workrate and Canelo doesn't. Canelo has had an awful lot of easy fights against guys much smaller than he is and has never faced anybody as big as Golovkin is (other than walking punchbag Chavez) or who hits anywhere near as hard or who brings it for twelve rounds. But Canelo will definitely have his moments. I expect Golovkin to win and to try and keep it at range, I don't think he'll want to get into an inside war or take too many big bodyshots. If Golovkin only wins by a couple of rounds expect a really bad decision. Canelo has years ahead of him as a Vegas/PPV attraction. Golovkin doesn't. I can definitely see these two fighting next Cinco too.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin-Canelo OFFICIAL!!!- Sept 16th. (Apologise to Fishnets. Cretins) Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I tried to sit there and watch a full non lagging version of Canelo v Chavez last night. I don't mind and fully get the pre hype post hype sell job and treating this merely as a formality. It's fully expected and for a mega fight that has had the shelf life of Golovkin-Canelo and it's natural for boxing to turn full on wwe these days. But I'm not sure what it is..honestly having a hard time losing my mind in anticipation that it's finally official and I won't be counting down the days. Oh now I'm all over it and will be forking over some dough don't get me wrong, just that it's been so played out and in the back of my mind waiting for the other shoe to drop and something to knock it off course I watched Canelo spar a lackluster "just glad to be here" Chavez and could not get the Trout fight out of my mind and again Canelos over effort to show that he could box and almost coast while in control. Not knocking a guy for winning but just expected to see him kick in the door and press advantages going into his "super fights". Strangely enough I have the exact same feeling now in that Canelo will be saddled with another L and be a bit of a let down. Definitely not comparing Golovkin to Mayweather, nor Chavez to Trout with respects to styles and levels but more convinced now that Golovkin will be the one stepping it up performance wise and brutally welcoming Canelo to the legitimacy of middleweight he's been so hesitant to venture into.
    I lost my connection to the fight and when i got it back it was about the 4th round. Even then I still managed to be lulled to sleep by this spar for it all before the final bell. The showmanship angle was inevitable. Used by wrestling then by the UFC, it was just a matter of time.

I completely agree on the lack of enthusiasm. It's hard for me to get hyped anymore when looking at the bigger pic. He won the title almost a year and a half ago from Cotto and then, like a petulant child, he's clung to the belt while avoiding the number one challenger, trying to create his own weight division at 155. (If you're not a 160lb and under fighter then lose the belt... if your 154lb and under fighter then win and defend that belt..) but holding the belt hostages while you split hairs to try and stay relevant just watered down the sport. He was protected by the wbc for that time and when they couldn't anymore, the mandated a fight and his response was to lay the strap down and now claims he won't fight GGG for that belt because they (WBC) made him look bad for refusing to carry him anymore. He's tried to polish his skills and as much as I want to applaud him for that, its hard to see this fight as anything other than a spoiled brat and his tranny boozer of a promoter getting rewarded for prostituting a sport that was once based on honor. I gotta say GGG lost a little of my respect too by allowing himself get bent over by these idiots and not chase the Saunders fight so that ginger snaps wouldn't throw another tantrum... especially after how they had stall his career before. I personally would have fought Saunders, got the strap and shut charlo up before going up to 168. Win lose or draw, Canelo will always be a b*tch in the Mayweather mold who tried to build up his opponents in the press and then shave them down (in weight, hydration, location, etc etc) and handicap them to keep his image. As far as i'm concerned, Canelo lost this fight the minute he laid the belt at the feet of GGG. "We dont f*ck around.... for more than like a year and 4 months or so...")

I'll knock the guy for winning. When he had to weight drain a guy that was already notorious for being lazy because he had to have this fake battle for Mexico to raise his PPV sales (which were dwindling) so he could try to balance out the titles he didn't have and max out the lions share. If the terms of the fight are disclosed including the cuts, maybe i'll change my mind... or maybe laugh myself to tears when he hits GGG with a half a pound rehydration limit. Till then, Canelo struck me as a hyped manufactured fighter when he hit the scene and he's done nothing but reinforce that right up till now.

P.S. - F*ck Mayweather and anyone else who tries to turn this sport into something completely recognizable with ridiculous demands and contract stipulations, stalling, fake drug testing, hometown commissions, judges and refs, and then tells me I don't know sh*t about boxing. We (the fans) knew more than they think we did, which is why they turned it into the spoiled brat exhibition bouts we have today. Months/ years of meandering just to watch a guy bs his way through a subpar fight and then thank God he made it through alive, defer to a mystical promoter figure when asked about the next opponent and then pull some no hoper/restoration project out of left field so they can let the big fight "marinate"... should change his name to de la goya with the way he seasons negotiations with his bullsh*t...
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always find it funny when people say someone is afraid of another fighter then they agree to fight them and instead of the person that said they were scared manning up and admitting they were wrong they say they were forced. Forced to agree to terms that are very difficult to arrange if people actually want to fight hahaha

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo vs GGG..weight?

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    There should be no gimmick it should be 160lb. Canelo gets battered by triple G.
    Yup, GGG will mow him down.

JC Jr really showed he has nothing left. He's not a title threat at 168 or especially 175.
    He's basically an average boxer but an excellent cash cow, very popular with hispanics. He has never been and will never be great.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The reason Chavez junior has had a reasonable career is the same reason that Ivanka Trump is the US emissary for women's rights, or that Kim Jong-un is the leader of North Korea.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm going to give credit to Canelo for taking the fight. Some say it's late but in reality the fight is happening within 2 years of Alvarez making his middleweight debut. To be fair Canelo has never technically weighed over 155 pounds until the Chavez fight either. The fact that the fight is happening now gives him a pass in my book. (But I will wait until the bell rings). I'm not sure if Canelo can put the blue print Jacobs set to practice but I'm sure he will come into the fight at his very best.
    You are too forgiving.

If Oscar and Canelo could have got away with not figting for a couple of more fights they would have tried. They were forced to take this fight as the excuses were getting very thin that even Canelo's own mum would have given him a slap.
    Hey it could have gone the way that many others have and never eventuated at all.

Yes it could have... but at what cost to Canelo's image? They say excuses are like doors. Once a door is closed on you, you have to look for another one. The first door was the marinating one. That's closed. Then it was the weight excuse. Canelo could get away with it while fighting at the famous catchweights. But once he ventured to above 160 that door is now closed also. TBH, Canelo has been able to fight at or above 160 for quite some time.

We're not out of the woods yet, however. Now come the negotiations. Oscar is nothing if not shrewd. We all know you can avoid a fight by setting unreasonable demands (such as the split percentages). We'll see how Oscar treats GGG and if he's serious about making the fight. He's got to be careful to tread that line where he ensures GGG will not accept... while getting fans to see it as GGG's fault and not Oscar's.
    Not defending Canelo but he gets so much sh-t that you would think it was May-Pac esque, 5 years or so. He only won recognition as the linear middleweight champ in November 2015 from Cotto; 1 month before Saunders won a middleweight title. Jacobs a career middleweight won his version of the title in August 2014. Lemieux is the only recent belt holder to face GGG faster than Canelo.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm going to give credit to Canelo for taking the fight. Some say it's late but in reality the fight is happening within 2 years of Alvarez making his middleweight debut. To be fair Canelo has never technically weighed over 155 pounds until the Chavez fight either. The fact that the fight is happening now gives him a pass in my book. (But I will wait until the bell rings). I'm not sure if Canelo can put the blue print Jacobs set to practice but I'm sure he will come into the fight at his very best.
    You are too forgiving.

If Oscar and Canelo could have got away with not figting for a couple of more fights they would have tried. They were forced to take this fight as the excuses were getting very thin that even Canelo's own mum would have given him a slap.
    Hey it could have gone the way that many others have and never eventuated at all.

Yes it could have... but at what cost to Canelo's image? They say excuses are like doors. Once a door is closed on you, you have to look for another one. The first door was the marinating one. That's closed. Then it was the weight excuse. Canelo could get away with it while fighting at the famous catchweights. But once he ventured to above 160 that door is now closed also. TBH, Canelo has been able to fight at or above 160 for quite some time.

We're not out of the woods yet, however. Now come the negotiations. Oscar is nothing if not shrewd. We all know you can avoid a fight by setting unreasonable demands (such as the split percentages). We'll see how Oscar treats GGG and if he's serious about making the fight. He's got to be careful to tread that line where he ensures GGG will not accept... while getting fans to see it as GGG's fault and not Oscar's.
    Not defending Canelo but he gets so much sh-t that you would think it was May-Pac esque, 5 years or so. He only won recognition as the linear middleweight champ in November 2015 from Cotto; 1 month before Saunders won a middleweight title. Jacobs a career middleweight won his version of the title in August 2014. Lemieux is the only recent belt holder to face GGG faster than Canelo.
    Floyd v Manny was past their sell by date this fight is near perfect in terms of timing.

Canelo has gone 'round the houses' to avoid GGG and that can not be denied no matter how you fluff it up.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are too forgiving.

Floyd v Manny was past their sell by date this fight is near perfect in terms of timing.

Canelo has gone 'round the houses' to avoid GGG and that can not be denied no matter how you fluff it up.
    So the fight is happening at the perfect time but I'm fluffing it? Canelo may have had other fights in the time since the Cotto fight but it is prize fighting. How much $$$ has he made on those fights? Saunders has fought once, how much has he made in that time? Canelo is doing something right. Add in he just vanquished a Mexican legends son so I'm guess almost all of Mexico is going to be behind him leading into this fight. That alone has to make the event that much bigger.

I'm not defending Canelo for dropping the WBC belt, I wish more fighters would do likewise. Unfortunately in this scenario it quashed a mandatory that was actually relevant and that people were interested in seeing. As it turns out the fight got made anyway without the WBC's help and apparently they will not be involved with the fight according to Alvarez.

Canelo may have taken a few fights in the interim but they made him a sh-tload of money and lets be honest that's the very reason GGG wants to fight him. Because Canelo is the star and a win will put GGG into that bracket. If that wasn't the case GGG would be re-matching Jacobs who gave him an ultra close fight and is more deserving than Canelo in my opinion. Also most see GGG as a clear favorite. What fight is harder do you think? I for one see Jacobs as a bigger threat than Alvarez.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree the fight will not be as hard as Jacob's. I think if GGG did fight Jacobs again, he will not allow him to weigh in as high as he did and would easily beat him.

Canelo made money for as long as he could and I am glad he signed but it was not without a push.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree the fight will not be as hard as Jacob's. I think if GGG did fight Jacobs again, he will not allow him to weigh in as high as he did and would easily beat him.

Canelo made money for as long as he could and I am glad he signed but it was not without a push.
    I always refer back to May-Pac. Remember how much money was on the line and they still pissed about for 5 odd years. Like you said this fight is happening at the right time. GGG might have slipped a little which may have increased the younger mans chances. I think Jacobs will be just as difficult if they do rematch. I'm not sure Jacobs will accept a re-hydration clause and how will fans look upon GGG if he starts making these sorts of demands?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always refer back to May-Pac. Remember how much money was on the line and they still pissed about for 5 odd years. Like you said this fight is happening at the right time. GGG might have slipped a little which may have increased the younger mans chances. I think Jacobs will be just as difficult if they do rematch. I'm not sure Jacobs will accept a re-hydration clause and how will fans look upon GGG if he starts making these sorts of demands?
    Those are reasonable demands which are there for the safety of the fighters to make sure that the fight is fair and based on skill. I do not think it is an unreasonable demand.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those are reasonable demands which are there for the safety of the fighters to make sure that the fight is fair and based on skill. I do not think it is an unreasonable demand.
    I'm not disagreeing with you but only the IBF officially has those restrictions. If GGG tried to enforce those requirements on Jacobs for a shot at say the WBA strap I'm not sure he would be able to. Also with Jacobs' style the weight in my opinion was only helpful in helping him to absorb the shots from GGG and possibly made his own shots a little heavier. It was not a pressure style where the weight would definitely play a part.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not disagreeing with you but only the IBF officially has those restrictions. If GGG tried to enforce those requirements on Jacobs for a shot at say the WBA strap I'm not sure he would be able to. Also with Jacobs' style the weight in my opinion was only helpful in helping him to absorb the shots from GGG and possibly made his own shots a little heavier. It was not a pressure style where the weight would definitely play a part.
    Absorbing the punches helped Jacobs survive round 5 and made a huge difference for him. It was near cheating not to follow the agreed IBF rules.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absorbing the punches helped Jacobs survive round 5 and made a huge difference for him. It was near cheating not to follow the agreed IBF rules.
    But he followed the WBC and WBA rules.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought WBC and WBA had similar rules? If they do not, they should as the Gatti fight showed the clear abuse of the weight gain can be dangerous.

Thread Information