Thread: Golovkin-Canelo OFFICIAL!!!- Sept 16th

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin-Canelo OFFICIAL!!!- Sept 16th. (Apologise to Fishnets. Cretins) Fact.

Obviously everyone's going to have their own opinion on this. To me, it's all about the size. People want to make it all about the money. Canelo will make big PPV bucks if he fights the guy who carries his spit bucket. Money as far as Canelo is concerned is a given.... irrelevant to this conversation. What sticks out like a bull in a china shop is the way Canelo has "hop-scotched" his way around the weights.... fighting a blown up welter in one instance... and moving up to fight a cruiserweight the next. Dancing around GGG at 160 like someone stepping gingerly around a minefield. It's not ducking. It's ducking taken to new, catastrophic levels. Canelo has been anointed since Day One, and Fishnets Oscar is even having bouts of delusion, saying stuff like "If Canelo loses it's not bad for GBP.... it's bad for boxing." Fortunately, no one really takes him seriously since he posed in women's underwear. The fact that Canelo will be facing (I'll believe it when they're getting ring instructions) GGG "quicker" than others doesn't hold water with me. First, Canelo has been physically big enough to fight GGG for a long time. Only his catchweight B.S. has given him the lousy excuse not to do it. Second, the other guys being compared to Canelo in terms of "time-to-face-Golovkin" have been fighting each other at 160. Apples and oranges. Hopefully the fight does happen and F.O. doesn't throw a monkey wrench into the proceedings. Alas, according to F.O. himself, it will be the demise of boxing as we know it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin-Canelo OFFICIAL!!!- Sept 16th. (Apologise to Fishnets. Cretins) Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Listened to an Abel Sanchez interview this morning, he explained perfectly why the Jacobs rematch isn't happening - Money.

However good a fight Jacobs gave Golovkin he lost and it did shit numbers. He said Jacobs needs to make a name for himself now, fight Lemiuex, fight another big name, make the money men demand the rematch as the people that fund fights are not currently interested.

You can't argue with that.

Fans don't like it - the divvies will call it a "duck" - but it's the truth. A plain simple fact in boxing is - the bigger the risk the bigger the reward, if that's not the case then the fight is not worth considering.
    One of the saddest posts I have ever read. Jacobs won by many peoples opinions. Not the majority, but many. He deserves a rematch. He's out there calling for a rematch. You can't just point to the numbers because the numbers were effected by the fact most thought it was a gimme fight. Proven by the 8/1 odds.

Nobody sees a gimme anymore. It would absolutely get better numbers for part 2. Do you have the nerve to deny it would get better numbers? Please don't dodge the question, don't change the question. Do you think a rematch would get better/worse/same numbers? If you think, as any sane man would, it would get better numbers then the initial numbers are irrelevant.
    You asking me or Abel Sanchez?

Yeah the fight will probably do better numbers. Will it do better enough to make it worthwhile for Team Golovkin? That's the question.

Personally I'm not bothered about the rematch, i'd prefer to see Jacobs take on some other top middles, that way he can make a stronger case for the rematch anyway.

Jacobs didn't become a superstar on the back of that fight. He overachieved in the eyes of boxing fans, that's all. A minority think he won. He didn't. Move on...
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jacobs is willing to come to the UK and fight Saunders - good fight and one i think Jacobs would win

LAS VEGAS – Now that Gennady Golovkin isn’t an option for either of them, a Daniel Jacobs-Billy Joe Saunders fight should be an intriguing alternative for both middleweights. Jacobs (32-2, 29 KOs) is interested and would even travel to England to challenge Saunders (24-0, 12 KOs) in his home country. The former WBA middleweight champion from Brooklyn isn’t convinced that would appeal to the unbeaten WBO middleweight champion. “If the opportunity comes up where I can fight Saunders, obviously that’s something that I would love to do,” Jacobs told BoxingScene.com. “I would even travel over to where he is. That’s how confident I am that I can beat B.J. But he has shown no interest. He has never even been verbal about fighting me. He’s never even mentioned any of my fights in interviews. It’s surprising to me. It’s as if he doesn’t even know I exist. And to see these different things, it’s not looking good for me and him [to fight] because I don’t know if he takes me serious or not.”

Saunders had hoped to challenge Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) on June 10 in Golovkin’s native Kazakhstan. Frank Warren, Saunders’ promoter, and Tom Loeffler, who represents Golovkin for K2 Promotions, engaged in negotiations for that bout. Golovkin-Saunders was scrapped largely because negotiations intensified for the Golovkin-Canelo Alvarez fight and Oscar De La Hoya, Alvarez’s promoter, didn’t want Golovkin to fight again before facing Alvarez on September 16. Golovkin’s handlers also acknowledged that following a taxing, 12-round fight against Jacobs on March 18, squeezing in another bout between boxing Jacobs and Alvarez wasn’t something Golovkin would do. Saunders instead is expected to face Georgia’s Avtandil Khurtsidze (32-2-2, 22 KOs) on July 8 in London. Khurtsidze, the mandatory challenger for Saunders’ title, stopped England’s Tommy Langford (18-1, 6 KOs) in the fifth round April 22 in Leicester, England, to win the interim WBO middleweight title. Jacobs had hoped that if Alvarez-Golovkin didn’t materialize Golovkin would’ve considered giving him a rematch following their highly competitive fight March 18 at Madison Square Garden. Regardless, he hopes to return to the ring sometime in September. Jacobs will root for Khurtsidze to knock off Saunders because they’re stablemates and share the same manager, Keith Connolly. If Saunders wins, however, Jacobs wants the brash British southpaw to fight him. “He talks a lot of smack,” Jacobs said. “And he’s one of those comical characters in the sport of boxing that throughout the history we have and we entertain and we love. But it’s getting to the point now where it’s too corny. It’s not time for fun and games anymore. Let’s get to the real deal. Are you gonna further your career and fight the best? Or are you gonna play with it? What are you trying to do?” - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/jacobs-id....ZLtj56eh.dpuf

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saunders may sit and wait for the winner of GGG v Canelo.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jacob's ego probably accounts for that extra 20lbs. he wears into the ring. It's rather comical that a guy that delayed his shot at the consensus #1 in his division for over a year when offered (because he "wasn't ready"), somehow thinks all roads lead to him now. Sounds like he doesn't want to fight anyone unless its for big money and/ or a title. I was wondering why he hasn't scheduled another fight for June or so when GGG committed to his intention to fight Canelo by nixing the Saunders challenge.

Anyone know if Jacobs is ranked or what his rank is in the WBO? Of course BJS won't fight Jacobs. Not without a rehydration limit at least, which I think probably is going to be same for anyone else that's not a warm up kind of fight.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Jacob's ego probably accounts for that extra 20lbs. he wears into the ring. It's rather comical that a guy that delayed his shot at the consensus #1 in his division for over a year when offered (because he "wasn't ready"), somehow thinks all roads lead to him now. Sounds like he doesn't want to fight anyone unless its for big money and/ or a title. I was wondering why he hasn't scheduled another fight for June or so when GGG committed to his intention to fight Canelo by nixing the Saunders challenge.

Anyone know if Jacobs is ranked or what his rank is in the WBO? Of course BJS won't fight Jacobs. Not without a rehydration limit at least, which I think probably is going to be same for anyone else that's not a warm up kind of fight.

That's harsh considering he is a man who recovered from Bone Cancer, Couldn't walk and was told he'd be lucky to walk again let alone fight again and then went on to win all his fights bar one by KO smashing the shit out of Quillin in 1 round in the process - i think he can probably be excused for that

I agree what he did against GGG was naughty, should not be allowed and is life threatening to the opponent as proved by the outcome of Gatti v Gamache, baffles me how still in 2017 fighters can come in 2 or sometimes 3 weight divisions above their opponent and it's still called a fair fight.

I like Jacobs, seems a genuine nice guy and he's a solid honest fighter and he came seriously close to beating Golovkin but the huge weight advantage must have been a massive advantage for him during that fight that had to be the main reason he did so well.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Obviously everyone's going to have their own opinion on this. To me, it's all about the size. People want to make it all about the money. Canelo will make big PPV bucks if he fights the guy who carries his spit bucket. Money as far as Canelo is concerned is a given.... irrelevant to this conversation. What sticks out like a bull in a china shop is the way Canelo has "hop-scotched" his way around the weights.... fighting a blown up welter in one instance... and moving up to fight a cruiserweight the next. Dancing around GGG at 160 like someone stepping gingerly around a minefield. It's not ducking. It's ducking taken to new, catastrophic levels. Canelo has been anointed since Day One, and Fishnets Oscar is even having bouts of delusion, saying stuff like "If Canelo loses it's not bad for GBP.... it's bad for boxing." Fortunately, no one really takes him seriously since he posed in women's underwear. The fact that Canelo will be facing (I'll believe it when they're getting ring instructions) GGG "quicker" than others doesn't hold water with me. First, Canelo has been physically big enough to fight GGG for a long time. Only his catchweight B.S. has given him the lousy excuse not to do it. Second, the other guys being compared to Canelo in terms of "time-to-face-Golovkin" have been fighting each other at 160. Apples and oranges. Hopefully the fight does happen and F.O. doesn't throw a monkey wrench into the proceedings. Alas, according to F.O. himself, it will be the demise of boxing as we know it.
    Canelo's weight hoping has been annoying but being the star he can get away with it. Other fighters don't have to fight him. No ones holding a gun to their heads. The other middleweights have also been physically big enough to fight GGG. I only recognize Canelo as a middleweight from the Cotto fight where he picked up the lineal title. November 2015. Saunders has only fought 1 guy since winning his belt in December 2015. Jacobs beat Quillin in December 2015 and has only fought the rematch with Mora before the GGG fight. Since the Cotto fight Canelo has fought Khan, Smith and Chavez. Canelo's activity and opposition is arguably better than the other 2 in that time. The thing everyone is not mentioning is that Canelo has agreed to the fight something Sturm, Martinez, Cotto, Quillin and Saunders haven't done.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Canelo's weight hoping has been annoying but being the star he can get away with it.
    I'll respectfully disagree with this. He can get away with it from those fans who'll give him a free pass on just about anything... but not the rest of the boxing world. The "weight hopping" isn't just randomly wanting to fight at different weights. It's been a carefully orchestrated skipping over the 160 division to avoid "you-know-who".

Saunders has only fought 1 guy since winning his belt in December 2015. Jacobs beat Quillin in December 2015 and has only fought the rematch with Mora before the GGG fight. Since the Cotto fight Canelo has fought Khan, Smith and Chavez. Canelo's activity and opposition is arguably better than the other 2 in that time.

I hope the first sentence isn't a veiled view that any of the other middleweights have been avoiding GGG. I'll choose to believe it wasn't. The next sentence mentions Khan, Smith, and Chavez. Ok, so in terms of pure activity, that's 3 fights versus one or two for the other guys. But "better opposition"? Really? Canelo's fight vs Khan was akin to a bull and a bullfighter if you take away the bullfighter's sword. It was only going to be a matter of time. A circus act. A blown-up WW who took leave of his senses long enough to think he could fight a man twice as big as he. Then he took leave of his senses again in the 6th round. Chavez? Junior turned out to be exactly what boxing experts said he would be.... a glorified punching bag at the end of his ride on his daddy's name. So once again I'll have to disagree on quality of opposition.

The thing everyone is not mentioning is that Canelo has agreed to the fight something Sturm, Martinez, Cotto, Quillin and Saunders haven't done.

Martinez is at the end of his career and visibly shot. Cotto was undersized even to fight Canelo. Why on Earth would he fight GGG? Saunders was set to fight GGG, but the hype job that is Team Canelo threw a hissy fit and that fight was scrapped.

Canelo's rise to stardom has been a meticulously put together exercise in blatant promotion. His recent conquests include:

- Alfonso Gomez of "The Contender" fame

- Over-the-hill Shane Mosley

- Tiny Josesito Lopez

- A gift decision over Erislandy Lara

- The much smaller Cotto

- The even SMALLER Khan

- Punching bag with the famous name, Junior

Somewhere in between, everyone thought he was ready to contend for world's p4p, and put him in there with Floyd.
    We all know how THAT turned out

Golovkin BEFORE fighting at 165 would've been his chance to shut all of us critics up. But no... he decided to hop-skip-jump over 160 and go directly to 165 to fight Junior. Besides... there's no way he can keep starving himself pretending to be too small for middleweight. It's like the 200-pound woman who insists on wearing skinny jeans and asking how do I look.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo's weight hoping has been annoying but being the star he can get away with it.
    I'll respectfully disagree with this. He can get away with it from those fans who'll give him a free pass on just about anything... but not the rest of the boxing world. The "weight hopping" isn't just randomly wanting to fight at different weights. It's been a carefully orchestrated skipping over the 160 division to avoid "you-know-who".
    So he has been able to get away with it?

Saunders has only fought 1 guy since winning his belt in December 2015. Jacobs beat Quillin in December 2015 and has only fought the rematch with Mora before the GGG fight. Since the Cotto fight Canelo has fought Khan, Smith and Chavez. Canelo's activity and opposition is arguably better than the other 2 in that time.

I hope the first sentence isn't a veiled view that any of the other middleweights have been avoiding GGG. I'll choose to believe it wasn't. The next sentence mentions Khan, Smith, and Chavez. Ok, so in terms of pure activity, that's 3 fights versus one or two for the other guys. But "better opposition"? Really? Canelo's fight vs Khan was akin to a bull and a bullfighter if you take away the bullfighter's sword. It was only going to be a matter of time. A circus act. A blown-up WW who took leave of his senses long enough to think he could fight a man twice as big as he. Then he took leave of his senses again in the 6th round. Chavez? Junior turned out to be exactly what boxing experts said he would be.... a glorified punching bag at the end of his ride on his daddy's name. So once again I'll have to disagree on quality of opposition.
    So you think Mora and Akavov amount to better opposition than Khan, Smith and Chavez?

The thing everyone is not mentioning is that Canelo has agreed to the fight something Sturm, Martinez, Cotto, Quillin and Saunders haven't done.

Martinez is at the end of his career and visibly shot. Cotto was undersized even to fight Canelo. Why on Earth would he fight GGG? Saunders was set to fight GGG, but the hype job that is Team Canelo threw a hissy fit and that fight was scrapped.
    So your happy to give Martinez and Cotto passes?

Canelo's rise to stardom has been a meticulously put together exercise in blatant promotion. His recent conquests include:

- Tiny Josesito Lopez

- The much smaller Cotto

- The even SMALLER Khan

Somewhere in between, everyone thought he was ready to contend for world's p4p, and put him in there with Floyd.

Golovkin BEFORE fighting at 165 would've been his chance to shut all of us critics up. But no... he decided to hop-skip-jump over 160 and go directly to 165 to fight Junior. Besides... there's no way he can keep starving himself pretending to be too small for middleweight. It's like the 200-pound woman who insists on wearing skinny jeans and asking how do I look.
    All that and GGG is still dying to fight him. Why would he bother fighting such a fraud? If he really wanted to enhance his legacy he would be re-matching Jacobs or taking the Saunders fight to unify all the belts. Again no one held a gun to GGG's head and forced him to take this fight.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-15-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG is fighting Canelo for the money, enhancing his own legacy and exposing that Saul is a fraud at middleweight.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    GGG is fighting Canelo for the money, enhancing his own legacy and exposing that Saul is a fraud at middleweight.
    Agree that he's fighting him for the Money obviously. But if Canelo is a fraud at MW, then how does it enhance his legacy? and why is Canelo a fraud at MW? we don't know that yet, can't really call him a fraud .

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Agree that he's fighting him for the Money obviously. But if Canelo is a fraud at MW, then how does it enhance his legacy? and why is Canelo a fraud at MW? we don't know that yet, can't really call him a fraud .
    Legacy because he will become the lineal middleweight champion.

Fraud is just using the word Titofan/Alpha used but Jacobs gave GGG his hardest fight and it will be easier than that for Golovkin.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So he has been able to get away with it?

So you think Mora and Akavov amount to better opposition than Khan, Smith and Chavez?

So your happy to give Martinez and Cotto passes?

- Tiny Josesito Lopez

- The much smaller Cotto

- The even SMALLER Khan

All that and GGG is still dying to fight him. Why would he bother fighting such a fraud? If he really wanted to enhance his legacy he would be re-matching Jacobs or taking the Saunders fight to unify all the belts. Again no one held a gun to GGG's head and forced him to take this fight.

Do you really think he gives a fuck about legacy? And that's assuming the history books rank people like Jacobs and Saunders as more credible opponents than Alvarez, not something I'd put money on. Most people in the future looking back at his record are going to be aware of Alvarez but not so much the other two. But really it all just somes down to money. Golovkin is 34 and showing signs of age. He wants to make the most money he can make and that means above all fighting Alvarez.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Listened to an Abel Sanchez interview this morning, he explained perfectly why the Jacobs rematch isn't happening - Money.

However good a fight Jacobs gave Golovkin he lost and it did shit numbers. He said Jacobs needs to make a name for himself now, fight Lemiuex, fight another big name, make the money men demand the rematch as the people that fund fights are not currently interested.

You can't argue with that.

Fans don't like it - the divvies will call it a "duck" - but it's the truth. A plain simple fact in boxing is - the bigger the risk the bigger the reward, if that's not the case then the fight is not worth considering.
    One of the saddest posts I have ever read. Jacobs won by many peoples opinions. Not the majority, but many. He deserves a rematch. He's out there calling for a rematch. You can't just point to the numbers because the numbers were effected by the fact most thought it was a gimme fight. Proven by the 8/1 odds.

Nobody sees a gimme anymore. It would absolutely get better numbers for part 2. Do you have the nerve to deny it would get better numbers? Please don't dodge the question, don't change the question. Do you think a rematch would get better/worse/same numbers? If you think, as any sane man would, it would get better numbers then the initial numbers are irrelevant.
    It would do very similar numbers. Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. Either way it wouldn't be a viable fight to make. HBO aren't buying as many fights as they used to and they're just not going to come up with the scratch again for a rematch. The numbers don't add up to make it a doable proposition. So that's that.

If HBO offered Golovkin a twenty million dollar guarantee tomorrow to rematch Jacobs in his next fight Golovkin would snap their hand off. But instead they're offering him the chance to make that kind of money, more than he's so far earned in his entire career, fighting Alvarez, so that's what he's doing. Whichever fighter offers him the most money for his next fight after Alvarez is the fight he'll take. It's all about the benjamins baby.
    I'm not talking about instead of the Alvarez fight. After the Alvarez fight he should be looking at Jacobs. Of course if there's some PPV out there that is what to make. But who is a PPV? HBO has said they have interest in Jacobs NOW, his standing has gone up.

If HBO have said they have interest in Jacobs now and want to make Golovkin-Jacobs two after the Alvarez fight then that's the fight Golovkin will take. If they want him to fight Lemieux then that's who he'll fight next. He's not ducking anybody. He's got a limited time left and he wants to make as much money as he can before it's all over for him. Intrinsic to the whole enterprise is HBO. They're putting up the lion's share of the promotional pot in every fight and occasionally for Golovkin there's a PPV possibility so he's going to do exactly what HBO want every time*.

*Unless there's some big daft offer from somewhere else like when Kazakhstan, the greatest country in the world, made an offer to Golovkin to fight somebody in front of his own countrymen. Then they were thinking about fighting Saunders over there for a nice easy payday and then getting back on the HBO travelator. But the Alvarez fight came up so naturally they grabbed it as it could pay more than the entire rest of his career will.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems like most fans are talking like it's a foregone conclusion Golovkin wins, I thought Canelo would have at least a strong small group that fancied him (flomos/anti-white fighters don't count).

Bookies don't have it far off a 50-50 fight.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information