Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin-Canelo OFFICIAL!!!- Sept 16th

Excellent analysis of the science/genius that lies underneath the caveman clubbing of boxing. These type of vids make these great whackers look like the boxing equivalent of Einstein, Hitch, Mozart.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Excellent analysis of the science/genius that lies underneath the caveman clubbing of boxing. These type of vids make these great whackers look like the boxing equivalent of Einstein, Hitch, Mozart.

Brilliant editing and breakdown by Lee Wylie. Give that man a job HBO
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There might be better ways to spend a Sunday than being crammed inside a smoky Los Angeles warehouse, wearing a wool suit for the better part of 16 hours in 100-degree heat.

Yet as someone who’s spent more than 10 years covering the fight game it was a treat being briefly transported to the 1930s glory days as a bit player in a Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin commercial shoot.

Thomas Hearns and Roberto Duran were among the cast summoned to provide a stamp of endorsement that the Sept. 16 middleweight title bout between Kazakhstan’s three-belt champion Golovkin (37-0, 33 knockouts) and Mexico’s Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) is a worthy throwback to boxing’s best days.

Hearns was asked whether he expects Golovkin-Alvarez to be a genuine successor to the compelling bouts between him, Duran, Marvin Hagler and Sugar Ray Leonard in the 1980s.

“You know the way they fight. How can it not?” he said.

Alvarez was so taken by the realness of the shoot that he’s decided to wear an approved duplicate version of the 1930s-style boxing trunks he wore during filming.

“I didn’t expect all these things, but this is cool — old-fashioned style,” Alvarez said during a break in filming. “This is part of the business, part of the show, but I’ve tried to enjoy it as much as possible. This is what I expect of the fight — it could be in the history books.”

Golovkin has studied the fights of the commercial participants, including promoters Oscar De La Hoya and Bernard Hopkins, along with historical footage of the era he stepped back in for two days.

“It’s very interesting to see the tradition of this sport,” Golovkin said. “It is different with us. This is about what’s best for boxing. If you represent boxing like [the legends], you’re remembered. There’s a boxing family of true legends, a history. I like that. I like this.”

Producer-director Leigh Simons dreamed up the set after it was suggested first by De La Hoya.

“I had the vision. He comes up with the details,” De La Hoya said of Simons. “I think we hit it right on the head. You want to tell a story of when fighting was fighting. … I love that whole era, like the ‘Cinderella Man’ Prohibition days when fighters were fighters and it was survival. … And this fight means a lot to [Alvarez and Golovkin].

“It’s like we’re passing the torch to them, and it has the ingredients to play out.”

Simons asked USA Today columnist Martin Rogers, boxing video reporter James “Smitty” Smith and me to fill the roles of journalists/ringside cameramen.

“I wanted to do a vintage-inspired promotion because this is a throwback fight,” Simons said. “It’s a throwback because you have the best fighters in the world fighting each other, you have the greatest middleweights fighting each other and you have a fight where you don’t have to worry about action and drama.”

The commercial begins with a narrator discussing the legacy of great fights, then features Alvarez and Golovkin entering the gym with gear and equipment of the ’30s era. The other boxers in the gym stop as the legends also look at the pair.

Alvarez and Golovkin meet in the center of the ring, each throwing a simultaneous punch that’s stopped before meeting their chins, a moment intended to heighten anticipation for the bout at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

“That final scene is so important,” De La Hoya said. “[Simons] has to capture it perfectly. When those punches stop, I want people to think, ‘I have to buy this.’ ”

Filming was done as De La Hoya was railing at the potential damage last Saturday’s Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor pay-per-view bout could cause his fight. That match ended up being more entertaining than most thought.

Simons, who produced several preview shows for Mayweather, had a more cooperative tone.

“This care, craft and thought for this project is different … than the obscenities of Mayweather-McGregor,” Simons said. “I just think it’s a great time for combat sports, to have a wild and crazy, WWE-esque event that the world is very aware of.

“And then you have a spot, in this fight, that puts boxing back as a sport in a worldwide basis. They’re serving each other. It’s almost like back-to-back Super Bowls, like, ‘I’m going to watch the carnival, the puncher’s-chance phenomenon, and then I’m going to watch a real fight. How do I lose?’ ”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing...830-story.html

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched Canelo v Smith last night

Canelo did look awesome and dealt with smith what looked very comfortably, give smith credit tho he gave it a real good go

Canelo wont beat Golovkin
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

Canelo did look awesome and dealt with smith what looked very comfortably, give smith credit tho he gave it a real good go

If you compare the quality of oppositions they have faced at Middleweight then GGG would be a strong favourite.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

If you compare the quality of oppositions they have faced at Middleweight then GGG would be a strong favourite.
    GGG v Smith would be a short fight
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So would GGG v Cotto as well as Chavez Junior.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So would GGG v Cotto as well as Chavez Junior.
    Lets flip it around (not that I'm disagreeing at all) how do you see Ginger Pubes getting on against Jacobs?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this will be one sided and I expect Canelo to out class him
    I can't see anything other than a UD for Alvarez to be honest.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GaMo View Post
    Just when I thought we agreed on most things you go and write this. GGG will outclass Canelo and beat him convincingly.

Can a mod (who knows what he is doing) add a poll to this thread?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just when I thought we agreed on most things you go and write this. GGG will outclass Canelo and beat him convincingly.

I think Canelo's advantages are...

Speed (he's got faster hands)
    Defence (his reflexes are a lot better)
    Combinations (he puts punches together better)
    Versatility (he can pressure or box on the back foot)

Golovkin has the edge in...

Power (he hits harder no doubt)
    Jab (I think he has the better jab)
    Strength (you'd assume he'd be the stronger man)

They're both accurate punchers
    Who work both the body and head
    But Canelo is younger and quicker.

In Boxing speed usually beats power
    And versatility usually finds a way to beat strength
    Neither guy has great footwork in my opinion
    But I'd definitely give that edge to Canelo as well.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is some nice analysis on that video. We could do with more of that quality stuff on here.

I'm very excited about this fight, as it's a proper old school best-versus-the-best scenario. Both guys should take some credit for being keen to take this one.

Golovkin is the middleweight monster who has been tearing up the division for the last 5 years. Always fit, cripplingly heavy hands, great chin and a hugely underrated technician. Stellar amateur career, been there and done that. Total confidence in his chin and his ability.

Alvarez, like many old school Mexican fighters, is vastly experienced for his age. Turned pro at 15 he will have seen everything there is to see in a ring. Solid solid guy, good chin, hard accurate puncher, tough as nails.

This is a real fight, which has been sadly overshadowed by the circus act that was on last month and that will only generate a fraction of the interest, coverage or earnings

So .... does Canelo get exposed when he finally fights someone who is not a couple of weight divisions smaller than he is? Do his slow feet mean he gets outmanoeuvred and driven to the ropes for a pounding. Will Golovkin surprise everyone and turn up in master boxing mode, as he did against Lemieux and as Mayweather so successfully did against Alvarez?

Or ...... does Golovkin suddenly get old very quickly? Does he turn up and struggle like he did in his last fight? Has Oscar very cleverly picked exactly the right time to catch up with GGG? Can Golovkin be outfoxed if he goes looking for a big knockout against such and experienced and talented opponent?

I think it's a great matchup. Very close on paper. Funnily enough, I see Canelo nullifying GGGs power by fighting right in front of him, right in the pocket. Golovkin likes middle range distance, and he likes to dispctate the pace and distance of the fight. Canelo is skilled enough to fight inside with Golovkin, if he is strong enough at the higher weight.

Both these guys are so good, I will be a little surprised to see an early knockout. I think both are canny enough to make it to the middle rounds, when either Golovkin's age or Alvarez' weight will prove decisive. On the balance of probabilities, I am going with GGG for a mid to late stoppage.

I just hope there's is no silly judging, incompetent refereeing or and other controversy!
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Canelo's advantages are...

Speed (he's got faster hands)
    Defence (his reflexes are a lot better)
    Combinations (he puts punches together better)
    Versatility (he can pressure or box on the back foot)

Golovkin has the edge in...

Power (he hits harder no doubt)
    Jab (I think he has the better jab)
    Strength (you'd assume he'd be the stronger man)

They're both accurate punchers
    Who work both the body and head
    But Canelo is younger and quicker.

In Boxing speed usually beats power
    And versatility usually finds a way to beat strength
    Neither guy has great footwork in my opinion
    But I'd definitely give that edge to Canelo as well.
    Canelo likes to take time off in rounds and sit on the ropes waiting for the counter, I can't see him being able to do that against GGG

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG power, jab and strength at the weight will be the deciding factors. I see Golovkin batter Canelo because he has wanted this fight for years and will be extra motivated.

Canelo has a solid chin but will be his undoing. Saul will take too much punishment. I can see GGG stop Canelo late in the fight.

It will be a good fight. Even a classic.

Thread Information