Golovkin v Alvarez - Everything you need to know ahead of the fight

Now that the hype over Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor has come and gone, the boxing world has turned its focus to what should be one of the best fights in recent memory; Gennady Golovkin vs Canelo Alvarez. In a clash being billed as the ‘Supremacy’, the WBA, WBC, IBF and The Ring middleweight belts will all be on the line. We’ve taken a look at everything you need to know ahead of the super fight.

The fight will be held at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, on Saturday, September 16th. UK viewers will either need to have a late night or early morning as the fight isn’t set to take place until 3am on Sunday morning.

The fight is available for UK viewers on PPV channel Box Nation for £16.95.

Anyone who’d like to see these two go at it again in the future should hope for a Golovkin win. In an interview with the LA Times, Eric Gomez, the president of Golden Boy Promotions revealed that Alvarez had an immediate rematch clause in place on his contract, whereas Golovkin, if he loses, won’t be guaranteed a rematch.

Golovkin is undefeated in his 37 fights and he’s won 33 of those by knockout. Alvarez has only lost one of his 51 fights and that was to Floyd Mayweather, and there’s no shame losing to him! With all the belts on the line, something has to give.

The undefeated, and now retired, Floyd Mayweather thinks that Alvarez will hand Golovkin his first loss. He said: “Do I think Triple G can beat Canelo? Absolutely not. I think there’s a few guys that can beat Triple G, and Canelo is on the top of the list. I believe that he’ll beat him. He’s got good punching power, but he’s flat-footed.”

Heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua is good friends with Canelo and as such, he’s picking him to win too. He said: “So I have been riding with Canelo for a long time but it’s going to be a tough fight because Triple G is from Kazakhstan, he has the good foundations of a boxer. But so has Canelo, so I’ll put my money on him.”

Amir Khan, who lost to Alvarez in 2016, is also picking the upset. He said: “I honestly think he beats Triple G. A lot of people underestimate him, I don’t know why. I’ve been in the ring with Canelo. I’ve never been in the ring with Triple G, but I’ve been in the ring with Canelo and he’s hard to hit. He’s quite tricky and like I said he hits very hard, so you have to give him that respect. I think that he gives a lot of people problems.”

The bookmakers currently have Golovkin as the 4/6 favourite. Alvarez is 6/5 with the draw available at 25/1.

Such is the power of the two fighters, it’s quite surprising to that the bookies have the fight going the distance. They have a points decision available at 8/11 with a stoppage priced at Evens.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxin...anntp#image=10