Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ohara Davies-Josh Taylor - 8th July/Glasgow/Channel 5

Super-lightweight Ohara Davies feels Josh Taylor is acting out of character with his abusive comments towards him.

The undefeated pair have exchanged obscenities on social media in the run-up to their so-called "Bad Blood" title contest at Braehead Arena on 8 July.

But Londoner Davies, 25, played down the hostility that continued at their media conference in Glasgow this week.

"He's been told to sell the fight. I don't blame him for any of his antics," said the WBC Silver title holder.

"I'm a cool guy. I believe that you live and you learn. I've been wild but now it's just about going to the gym, enjoying camp, enjoying the fight night. This isn't nothing, really. It's just business for me.

"Social media is good to sell the fight. I'm not trying to sell the fight, I'm just trying to be me.

"I was a lot more arrogant in my last fight. For this fight I'm in a whole different mood."

Davies refused to react to the four-letter taunts from Commonwealth champion Taylor, 26, when they came face to face in a Glasgow hotel to promote next month's bout.

At one point, Shane McGuigan-trained Taylor tried to remove Davies' sunglasses and the East Lothian fighter later told BBC Scotland he could "detect fear" in the Englishman's eyes.

However, Davies played it down at the event, though reverted to online abuse later in the day.

"I know that's not him," said Davies, who is trained by Tony Sims.

"I know that he's been told to sell the fight and all that stuff, taking off my glasses and trying to provoke me. If I really got to know him, he'll be a cool guy. I'm not going to be angry.

"I make of him what I've always made of him. He's a good fighter and on 8 July, we're going to have a good fight.

"This definitely will be my toughest fight so far - well, I hope it is. My past two fights, I found them quite easy and I want a real challenge. I want to go in there with someone that's got the capabilities of beating me. That's what we're in the game for."

Davies defeated Italy's Andrea Scarpa over 12 rounds at Wembley last November to win the WBC Silver belt and in March took three rounds to dispose of Derry Mathews, again in London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/40126155
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's great to see 2 prospects clashing this early in their careers so congrats to all involved for getting it done. Seems very even on paper.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Zero hype about this potential classic so bumping this back up

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Zero hype about this potential classic so bumping this back up
    good stuff, I'm looking forward to this one.

I've only seen Ohara Davies when he beat Dirty Derry (I may have seen him before but a lot of boxers elude me until they have that stand out fight) and he certainly looked promising.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This promises that be a cracker. And it'll please @Master that it's on free to air TV.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BOXING champion Josh Taylor insists he is going to “hurt” Ohara Davies when the pair face off in Glasgow on July 8.
    The duo will meet at the Braehead Arena on July 8, with Taylor’s Commonwealth super lightweight title and Davies’ WBC Silver title both on the line.
    Prestonpans star Taylor, who has won each of his nine bouts since turning professional nearly two years ago, told Courier Sport he was confident of another victory.
    He said: “I think I am better than him in every department, it’s just about being ready and showing that on fight night.
    “I’m a better puncher, I’m fitter and I’m faster than he is and I can’t wait to show that.”
    The 26-year-old Commonwealth Games gold medallist is also looking forward to ending his war of words with Davies on social media.
    Last week, the undefeated Englishman tweeted: “July 8 you will all see the real Ohara Davies in action, I’ve been trained to destroy. Again I will defy the odds.”
    Taylor, though, said: “I don’t pay too much attention to what he’s saying. He is just lining himself up for an even bigger fall when I beat him.”
    The county star, nicknamed the Tartan Tornado, was also relishing a return to fight in Glasgow – July 8 will be the first time Taylor will have fought in the city since his gold medal win in the Commonwealth Games three years ago.
    “I’m really looking forward to getting back to Glasgow,” he said.
    “I’m hoping there will be a big crowd and I just can’t wait to step in the ring.”
    Preparations for the fight are almost complete, with Taylor reachintg the end of a greulling training schedule under the watchful eye of coach Shane McGuigan.
    The former Preston Lodge High School pupil told Courier Sport his plans between now and July 8.
    He said: “I’ve been in camp so this week and last were probably my two toughest weeks.
    “After this week it will all be about winding down the sparring but making sure I am ready to go, and making weight.
    “I’ll pretty much be based in London until the week of the fight.”
    If Taylor is victorious next month, it could line up a fight with Coatbridge star Ricky Burns.
    But he said he was “completely focused” on the challenge of Davies, adding: “He has got a good record so I have to respect that.”
    Barry McGuigan, who runs promoters Cyclone Promotions, is also looking forward to the bout.
    He said: “I think we’ve got two of the best super-lightweights in the world in the ring together.
    “This is going to be a great fight and I believe that the public are going to benefit more than anybody else. It’ll be a great night of boxing, topped with a spectacular main event – and I know who my money is on.”
    A big contingent of Taylor’s fans are expected to make the trip for the fight and tickets are on sale now.
    They can be booked through Cyclone Promotions or on Ticketmaster.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    This promises that be a cracker. And it'll please @Master that it's on free to air TV.
    It's not really free though is it Primo, you need a TV license to watch it, do you really think that @Master would fork out for one of them?

He will however be glued to the radio

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    It's not really free though is it Primo, you need a TV license to watch it, do you really think that @Master would fork out for one of them?

It is free.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

It is free.
    You can't watch it without a TV license which you need to pay for

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is free.
    You need a license for to hear it on radio too?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is free.
    You need a license for to hear it on radio too?

Do I need a TV Licence to listen to the radio?

No, you do not need a TV Licence to listen to the radio (including on BBC iPlayer).

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this is a decent fight two undefeated fighters who show great promise pity one will loose.! I fancy Taylor in this one the boxer over the puncher Davies has plenty of power this should be a cracking fight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ohara Davies is a quality fighter and if he comes through this I can see him becoming a world champion in the future.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It happens all too often in boxing these days… fighters avoid each other until the ‘perfect time’ in their careers.
    By this point, when a pair finally cash in and face each other at the ‘perfect time’, their fight has usually diminished somewhat and never seems to live up to expectations.
    However, on Saturday July 8, undefeated British light-welterweights Josh Taylor and Ohara Davies are bucking this trend and will do battle after a combined total of just 24 fights on a FREE show, broadcast live on Channel 5. You just can’t miss this one.
    This fight is the best against the best, facing each other at the right time, on free-to-air TV available for everyone to see.
    This fight is the exact opposite of everything that’s wrong with boxing in this country at present.
    Scotland’s 26-year-old Josh 'The Tartan Tornado' Taylor boasts an impressive undefeated record of 9-0 (8KOs) so far and has been moved quickly, picking up the Commonwealth title by beating Dave Ryan in just his seventh bout. Meanwhile England’s 25-year-old Ohara ‘Two Tanks’ Davies is a bit further along in his career and also still undefeated at 15-0 (12KOs). He’s a former English and current WBC ‘silver’ champion.
    Both have looked very impressive in the early stages of their careers and they are without doubt two of the best prospects British boxing has to offer today. The combination of their thrilling styles in addition to the aggressive showmanship they have both brought to the ring in their recent contests has provided enthralling viewing up to now.
    ‘Two Tanks’ is already well known among boxing fans for talking the talk and then backing it up by walking the walk. Prior to his last fight against Scouser Derry Mathews, Davies turned up at a press conference in Liverpool and started slating the partisan audience, after previously stating their man was a ”bum” who he would knock out. Within three rounds of the fight, Davies had won by knockout.
    However, this time Ohara Davies faces a test like nothing he’s seen before. ‘The Tartan Tornado’ may not have had as many professional fights as Davies, but has a vast amount of amateur experience to draw upon, having boxed at the 2012 Olympics and won gold at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Davies himself had just 18 amateur bouts.
    The combination of all these factors makes this match-up so captivating. When fans called for this fight to be made, we did so with little optimism, under the assumption our prayers would not be answered by the boxing Gods.
    We all thought we’d probably end up seeing this contest in about four years’ time, by which point at least one of two would be in need of a payday, and so we’d end up having it stuck on PPV – costing us £16.95.
    But we were wrong, and so credit has to be given out in a lot of directions here.
    Firstly to Josh Taylor for stepping up to risk his undefeated record at such an early stage in his career. Secondly to Ohara Davies for doing the same, and also for travelling to his opponent’s back yard as an underdog to do so. Thirdly to Josh Taylor’s promoters – Cyclone (the McGuigans) – who have stumped up the money to put this show on free TV and didn’t advise against Taylor taking it. And finally to Ohara Davies’ promoter – Matchroom (Eddie Hearn) – for trying to put the show on in the first place and then refusing to stand in Davies’ way when the opportunity arose for him to have the fight on a rival platform.
    When all’s said and done on Saturday night, I personally hope both Josh Taylor and Ohara Davies get the credit they deserve, regardless of who wins and who loses.
    This fight is a rare occasion where we fans have actually been given what we were so desperately crying out for, so let’s not write off either fighter if they lose. As fans who want to see more of these kind of match-ups, we should avoid giving other fighters more reasons not to do what Taylor and Davies are doing here.
    Taylor is not even two years into his professional career yet, while Davies is barely three years into his, their clash of exciting, offensive styles should prove to be a joy to watch on Saturday night and – I’ll say it again because I can’t quite believe it – it’s completely flippin’ free.

Read more at https://talksport.com/boxing/josh-ta...TZtBzf6HLVV.99

Thread Information