Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Top 10 Middleweights

Based on the rankings system through the pound for pound list, the top ten middleweights in the world have been compiled in the list below.

There's no doubting who takes the number one and two spots ahead of their match-up on September 16, although the eight places following Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez were tougher to rank.
    The likes of Danny Jacobs and David Lemieux have impressed in recent years despite losses to the top dog 'GGG'. whilst former super-welterweight title holder Jermall Charlo moving up has been a welcome addition to the ranks.

1. Gennady Golovkin (3 - 37-0)
    The world's premiere middleweight and current holder of four of the five titles on offer. An easy rating.
    2. Canelo Alvarez (6 - 49-1-1)
    Out to prove his doubters wrong, Canelo has the chance to put and end to the formidable 'GGG' run and confirm himself as the new pound for pound king.
    3. Daniel Jacobs (32 - 32-2)
    The manner of his close loss to Golovkin cemented Jacobs' position as the third best fighter at the weight.
    4. Jermall Charlo (45)
    A strong run at 154 pounds has put Charlo in touching distance of a shot at the title.

5. Billy Joe Saunders (NR)

Saunders has a tough defence to negotiate against Avtandil Khurtsidze before the Briton can think about facing the likes of Charlo, Jacobs or the winner of Golovkin v Canelo.
    6. David Lemieux (NR - 38-3)
    Lemieux is back in form with four victories since losing to Golovkin.
    7. Martin Murray (NR - 35-4-1)
    Murray's decision to move back to 160 following a disappointing run at super-middleweight cannot be ignored. Murray is a four-time world title challenger and hopes to get one more opportunity soon.
    8. Andy Lee (NR - 35-3-1)
    Lee contemplated retirement following defeat to Saunders, although the former world champion is once again in contention.
    9. Avtandil Khurtsidze (NR - 33-2-2)
    Khurtsidze can put the cat amongst the pigeons if he can overthrow Saunders in London on July 8.
    10. Sebastian Heiland (NR - 29-4-2)
    Since a win over Matthew Macklin over three years ago, the Argentine has been patiently awaiting his chance despite being number one contender for Golovkin.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Top 10 Middleweights

Kind of crazy that two of the top 4 guys have never fought in the division, however I'd absolutely pick them over any of the lower ranked guys. I'd have Jacobs at number 2 if solely for the GGG fight, there's a case for giving him the decision there.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hesitate with a guy who has yet to fight the weight but make exception for Charlo. He seemed overdue for the jump up and has shown solid improvements. Sergiy Derevyanchenko one to watch but at 31 he needs to press the gas.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Kind of crazy that two of the top 4 guys have never fought in the division, however I'd absolutely pick them over any of the lower ranked guys. I'd have Jacobs at number 2 if solely for the GGG fight, there's a case for giving him the decision there.
    I watched that fight again last night and even though I always root for GGG in his fights I see no way to give GGG that fight. I would love to hear anyone explain which 6 rounds they give GGG to give him the decision

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I watched that fight again last night and even though I always root for GGG in his fights I see no way to give GGG that fight. I would love to hear anyone explain which 6 rounds they give GGG to give him the decision
    We went through this already and the 6 rounds would be recorded in the rbr that was done on the fight. Look it up.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    We went through this already and the 6 rounds would be recorded in the rbr that was done on the fight. Look it up.
    I just went through the fight thread and the only people that showed their round by round had Jacobs 9-3. People came in and said they gave it to GGG close but a lot of time has passed and I have not seen anyone say which rounds they gave GGG. So the question remains. Is the fight thread where I am supposed to find this rd by rd or is there another?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just went through the fight thread and the only people that showed their round by round had Jacobs 9-3. People came in and said they gave it to GGG close but a lot of time has passed and I have not seen anyone say which rounds they gave GGG. So the question remains. Is the fight thread where I am supposed to find this rd by rd or is there another?
    My mistake it was on this thread

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...-jacobs-3.html

You are right CFH and p4p scored it 9-3 Jacobs, Spicoli stopped scoring as did I after the knockdown.

I gave GGG 1,2,3,4 and 9 for sure.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So the # 2 guy on the list is a guy who has never actually fought at the weight.

Makes perfect sense to me.

The incomplete post doesn't say WHO'S top ten they are..... but just goes to show that boxing opinions and a buck will get you a cup of coffee.

Personally, I wouldn't even print this list on a roll of toilet paper.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd pick Jacobs to beat Canelo

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are right CFH and p4p scored it 9-3 Jacobs, Spicoli stopped scoring as did I after the knockdown.

So you have him the 3rd where Jacobs landed 9 power punches to 4 from GGG. And was fought in the way Jacobs wanted to fight. Interesting. I think giving GGG 12 and taking away the 3rd rightfully makes more sense.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So you have him the 3rd where Jacobs landed 9 power punches to 4 from GGG. And was fought in the way Jacobs wanted to fight. Interesting. I think giving GGG 12 and taking away the 3rd rightfully makes more sense.
    Looking back on the thread I wish I did score it and now. I forgot that when I watched it live I thought there was going to be an upset. Watching it again I had GGG firmly winning a close fight. I think it was @J_Undisputed who told me to watch the jab from GGG and it was very under rated but a point scorer for GGG.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking back on the thread I wish I did score it and now. I forgot that when I watched it live I thought there was going to be an upset. Watching it again I had GGG firmly winning a close fight. I think it was @J_Undisputed who told me to watch the jab from GGG and it was very under rated but a point scorer for GGG.
    For me the jab was the only thing that made it competitive. Jacobs controlled power punches in most rounds. He also dictated the fight. Really amazed GGG couldn't implement his will. The last two fights have convinced me GGGs feet aren't as good as advertised. He's brilliant at cutting of the ring when he dictates. But when he has to think his feet get stuck and he reaches badly. Kell is right in that he showed a weakness in GGG. I thought it was just bluster on Kells part until I watched both fights again recently.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thinking back I believe I had Jacobs by a single point. Have them written down somewhere so need to check. Have to say I was so far off the mark on the fight and Jacobs being 'destroyed' and still need a rewatch.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kid Chocolate hasn't fought in a while, but he's still top 10 in my book.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Murray shouldn't be there. Derevyanchenko should be above the likes of Avtandil Khurtsidze and Sebastian Heiland. I'd also have Murata and N'Jikam.

Thread Information