Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who would win?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prime RJJ vs. Prime Ali

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Prime RJJ vs. Prime Ali

say if they lived in the same times and Ali came down to light-heavy ot RJJ went up to heavy, who do you think would win?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prime RJJ vs. Prime Ali

on a pound for pound bases roy would have beat him on points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I think Ali would win at heavy and Jones would win at light~heavy.
    Ali is too good at heavy weight for Roy Jones to even think about wanting a fight there. But at light heavy I think it would be about Jones because Ali would have a hard time to make that weight. If he did though it would be really close.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by helminth
    Ali is too good at heavy weight for Roy Jones to even think about wanting a fight there. But at light heavy I think it would be about Jones because Ali would have a hard time to make that weight. If he did though it would be really close.
    Thats what I'm thinking. There wasn't really much weight Ali could use. He was a big guy but he was all muscle and wasn't bulky for a heavy weight. He'd be weakned at light heavy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    Quote Originally Posted by helminth
    Thats what I'm thinking. There wasn't really much weight Ali could use. He was a big guy but he was all muscle and wasn't bulky for a heavy weight. He'd be weakned at light heavy.

Maybe the question should be asked who would win an amateur bout between Ali and Jones if they lived at the same time because Ali was at 186 when he turned pro and never would have strained for any reason to get back at 175. Still an interesting question. As pros I would have to go with Ali at Heavyweight because he had the ability to adapt to his opponents in his prime and had the size and speed to compensate for Jones' speed and body movement. Billy Conn was way faster than Joe Louis and was ko'd twice. Ali by UD.
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dumbest shat ever. ali by ud or ko.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 1st rd ko
    Yep, cc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 1st rd ko
    not really m8, if Ali had to come down to light-heavy who knows what state he would be in.

El Kabong Guest

if RJJ was Ali's size then I would pick Roy by UD...Looking back Ali had a bunch of skill and a bunch of intagibles heart, drive, will to win...but I just see Roy as being faster, sharper, more techinically sound, and just overall better.

That being said RJJ was better p4p, but he didn't fight the people Ali fought I mean had he fought Conn and Charles, and Tunney at light heavy yeah he'd be the best fighter that ever lived but I think that monicker belongs to guys like Louis, Pep, Robinson, Marciano, and so on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    if RJJ was Ali's size then I would pick Roy by UD...Looking back Ali had a bunch of skill and a bunch of intagibles heart, drive, will to win...but I just see Roy as being faster, sharper, more techinically sound, and just overall better.

That being said RJJ was better p4p, but he didn't fight the people Ali fought I mean had he fought Conn and Charles, and Tunney at light heavy yeah he'd be the best fighter that ever lived but I think that monicker belongs to guys like Louis, Pep, Robinson, Marciano, and so on
    Nicely said have a cool click.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i reckon ali. he could take a shot, roy cant. the ali in the cleveland williams fight would prevail. and people are forgeting that we missed the best of ali because of his ban that was at the time of his prime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If RJJ was Ali's size i.e. 6 3/6 4, he wouldn't be as quick as he was at 5 11, and would lose his speed advantage. I'm sure I've mentioned it before but IMO heavyweights get a raw deal when comparing pd for pd, everyone mentions how the smaller guy in a comparison ( such as RJJ here) would be stronger and hit harder if he were the same size as the bigger guy, but they fail to say that he would also be a lot slower at that height and weight too.

Prime for prime Ali would win hands down. If they fought at light heavy, possibly RJJ would win as the only version of Ali which could make 12st 7 is the inexperienced teenager as an amateur, and he would be at a distinct disadvantage against RJJ who was at his physical (and experience) prime at 12st 7.

El Kabong Guest

I really don't think he'd be a whole bunch slower at 6'3/6'4 I mean it's only 5-6 inches, which wouldn't include too much weight as well so he'd be what maybe 210-215 or so.

P4P Roy is one of the greatest fighters, he just gets a bad rap for the fights that some say he didn't take and the 2 KO's he suffered when he came back down in weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't think he'd be a whole bunch slower at 6'3/6'4 I mean it's only 5-6 inches, which wouldn't include too much weight as well so he'd be what maybe 210-215 or so.

P4P Roy is one of the greatest fighters, he just gets a bad rap for the fights that some say he didn't take and the 2 KO's he suffered when he came back down in weight.
    5/6 inches is actually a pretty big difference. Stand next to a guy 5" shorter than you and you'll see right over his head.

I'm far from being an RJJ basher, I give as much notice to his losses to johnson/tarver as I would Ali's losses to Holmes/Berbick i.e. they didn't happen. RJJ is certainly an all time great light heavy, and probably the best of all light heavy's based on ability. But IMO Ali beats him prime for prime and pd for pd.

El Kabong Guest

5/6 inches is a big height difference but not so much in regards to weight...just my opinion though.

I don't rate Ali as the best heavyweight, I think alot of what he did was bullcrap and he was soooooo boring post Liston

Thread Information