Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ward/Kovalev 2...who wins?

Okay guys...predictions please.

Break down the fight for me and explain what each fighter has to do to be the clear winner this time.

I want Ward to win but had Kovalev the winner last time on a very close fight..perhaps the body shots and comeback edged it for Ward in the first one in the eyes of the judges.

What happens to the loser post fight and does the winner fight Stevenson or move up in weight?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ward/Kovalev 2...who wins?

for some reason I want Kov to win

i'm positive ward is a much nicer fella and id be much more inclined to invite ward round for tea than I would kovalev

I just think the Kov brand is more appealing, and I definitely prefer to watch him fight

But Ward is one of the few "lb4lb" American superstars which means Kov has to win decisively to get the win (probably by KO), so I think ward will do it again
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Ward figured him out to edge the first fight. So I expect Ward will start where he left off, the fight will be an utter bore with Ward getting a clear decision (9-rds-to-3 / 8-4?), yet the rounds will look close-ish hence they'll be lots of "robbery" claims again.
    Last edited by Fenster; 06-13-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward will win again, not much different to the last 8 rounds or so of the first fight.
    Kovalev is very good, but Ward could've been one of the greats, I just think he fucked his career up a little bit .
    People will say "bullshit, he's had a great career!" But I think he had been more active, he would've gone from strength to strength.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure I care now after the last fight. It was underwhelming. Maybe goes the same. Maybe Kov stops him. Maybe Ward wins every round. It's not exactly Barrera/Morales 2.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I thought Ward figured him out to edge the first fight. So I expect Ward will start where he left off, the fight will be an utter bore with Ward getting a clear decision (9-rds-to-3 / 8-4?), yet the rounds will look close-ish hence they'll be lots of "robbery" claims again.

Oddly enough, you'll probably get your wish. The prospect of retiring undefeated, coupled with his penchant for going years without fighting, may pretty much make it academic. Officially retired or not, a victorious Ward won't be chomping at the bit to get back into the ring.
    Last edited by Fenster; 06-13-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Afterwards I hope Ward retires.

Oddly enough, you'll probably get your wish. The prospect of retiring undefeated, coupled with his penchant for going years without fighting, may pretty much make it academic. Officially retired or not, a victorious Ward won't be chomping at the bit to get back into the ring.

Ward found a way to escape with a hugely controversial win last time out. I suspect he'll find enough tricks in his bag (or borrow some from Wlad) to befuddle and frustrate an angry Kovalev this time around also. Left up to the judges, anything short of an outright mauling by Kov will result in an automatic Ward win by UD.

What would I like? Kovalev win by painful KO.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kov wins a controversial decision and there is a 3rd fight which will settle the dispute. Like Morales v Barrera.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Ward will win again, not much different to the last 8 rounds or so of the first fight.
    Kovalev is very good, but Ward could've been one of the greats, I just think he fucked his career up a little bit .
    People will say "bullshit, he's had a great career!" But I think he had been more active, he would've gone from strength to strength.
    Ward was injured.

Plus, he had alot of business issues that kept him on the shelf..Sh&t happens.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Post Kovalev, Ward can fight and beat Stevenson and unify the division and then possibly fight Badou Jack as the first defence.

I don't see Ward at cruiserweight or Heavyweight...so hopefully we get a mega catch weight fight with GGG.

Then he can retire..with millions in the bank..undefeated and a commentary job with HBO?
    Last edited by Fenster; 06-13-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Ward was injured.

Injured? Business issues? He signed a couple of shit contracts and sulked and tried to get out of them.
    He signed the contracts, suck it up and get on with it.
    Surely even the biggest Ward fan (and I reckon he's a great bloke and a brilliant boxer) can't stick up for him.
    His career could've been so much better!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Ward was injured.

Injured? Business issues? He signed a couple of shit contracts and sulked and tried to get out of them.
    He signed the contracts, suck it up and get on with it.
    Surely even the biggest Ward fan (and I reckon he's a great bloke and a brilliant boxer) can't stick up for him.
    His career could've been so much better!
    Let's deal with Present day.

The guy has 3 or 4 years left in the sport...that's a possible 6-8 fights.

I just don't ever see Ward getting the KO against Kovalev..Ward was getting stunned by the Jab of SK and at no point in the fight did SK seem hurt.

Ward should start on the body early if he wants to take a clear decision.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We saw in the first fight Kovalev is completely incapable of fightnig on the inside. My greatest fear is Ward decides to make it easy and beat him up inside from start to finish.

As far as a prediction. Logic says Ward gains more from the first fight than Kovalev because he will be more comfortable with the weight and will have the top level experience for the first time in many years. Kovalev had been fighting top level. But damn, Kovalev was doing work early. I wouldn't bet one penny on it but if forced to pick I suppose with great trepidation I would say Ward.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Americans will not permit a Russian to win against one of their most highly-regarded boxers.

Once again, all four officials are from the USA.

The ref will permit Ward to use his ugly, illegal tactics: deliberate head butting (Kovalev dealt with it in the first fight by putting his arm around Ward's head), pushing, holding, bending at the waist, arm-clamping, wrestling, etc.

The ref will help Ward survive the distance, and once again the judges will be there to rob Kovalev.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    The Americans will not permit a Russian to win against one of their most highly-regarded boxers.

Once again, all four officials are from the USA.

The ref will permit Ward to use his ugly, illegal tactics: deliberate head butting (Kovalev dealt with it in the first fight by putting his arm around Ward's head), pushing, holding, bending at the waist, arm-clamping, wrestling, etc.

The ref will help Ward survive the distance, and once again the judges will be there to rob Kovalev.
    Not a Ward fan then ? 😂😂

Thread Information