Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's what Chris Eubank had to say about Roy Jones......as requested by Watt/DD

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Here's what Chris Eubank had to say about Roy Jones......as requested by Watt/DD

here's what he had to say

Chris Eubank

Dodging a fighter is a cardinal sin in boxing and is something i can never be accused of, unlike one such character who came onto the scene during my era. Roy Jones, James Toney and Michael Nunn for example, i did not dodge.
    Lets use Roy Jones as an example. When people asked me why i wouldn't fight him, I would say to them, 'Never mind the title or my job, a fight like that could take 5 or 6 years off my life.' I was well aware of that. He was Pound for Pound, arguably the best foghter on the planet; in regards to his style, his devastating punching ability, the whole repitoire, he had it.
    The rule is that if you are champiuon of the world for one body, you cannot be the No.1 contender for another belt. Unless someone was officially the recognised No.1 contender, I had no preofessional obligation to face them. With Roy Jones, he was fortunetly (and i use that word with the utmost respect) never the number 1 contender. Had he been. I would not have dodged. I would have taken the fight. Would have i won the fight. Highly unlikely. What would of been for sure was that he would have come away from the fight and got hurt, and i would have been hurt probably far more than he was. It would of been a war. Techincally we would of been well-matched, so our pure grit would of started to come into play. I believe we both had powerful wills, so the fight would up running on pure instinct. That can be a exceptional violent occurence. Interestingly i was told that Roy Jones was rumoured to have said that the only fighter he had reservations about facing was me. I don't remember any of my critics saying much about that.
    So, the ultimate measure of a fighter is not dodging. If you do, you lose your standing, your respect, your honour. Don't dodge the No.1 contender.

He also talks about being a big fish and a small pond and what he thought about it, he also talks about fighters like Herol Graham, Mike Mucculam and if he was afraid of them.
    This is from his autobiography

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Here's what Chris Eubank had to say about Roy Jones......as requested by Watt/DD

It seems not even Chris Eubank thought he could beat Roy Jones Jr. So all of WWatts sayings that Roy ducked Eubank is destroyed from Eubanks own type writer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Here's what Chris Eubank had to say about Roy Jones......as requested by Watt/DD

This from another forum:

RJJ was asked in june 1995 if he feared anybody & he replied "Eubanks", when asked why he said "Not only does Eubanks have the most awkward style to get to grips with, but whenever hes challenged he responds viciously. he'd be challenged against me"

Also in december 1994 RJJ was quoted as saying "the only fighter who can give me a challenge is Chris Eubank"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bare in mind that Eubank's autobiog was released in 2003... before Jones Jr's chin was exposed

El Kabong Guest

Well RJJ could take a shot back then...I mean I've seen him roll with it....that's like saying Evander Holyfield never had a chin. It's always a double standard with Roy, either he was the best ever or he has no chin and ducked everyone.

You get to be 198 and have like 4% body fat then go down to 175 and stay there and tell me how easy it was

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    You get to be 198 and have like 4% body fat then go down to 175 and stay there and tell me how easy it was
    BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

The guy was juiced up to the gills from the age of 17, he weighed 193 for Ruiz and had about nine months to weigh 175 for Tarver. When you come off a steroid cycle you can lose 20lbs in a few days.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats because your pumped full of water... Roy you can loose it in a few days but is it good for you? I could get up to 193 and keep my body fat down but once I was there I know for a fact that loosing weight would take it out of me... a time scale of months would not be enough to revert back to feeling strong and healthy again...

AC-Cobra Guest

Am I missing something here, I dont remember RJJ being levelled with steroids accusations all that often, and he certainly doesnt look the steriod stereotype (bigger head, unbelievable increase in muscle size) James Toney I can believe, but RJJ's a tough one.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Here's what Chris Eubank had to say about Roy Jones......as requested by Wat

Quote Originally Posted by AC-Cobra
    Am I missing something here, I dont remember RJJ being levelled with steroids accusations all that often, and he certainly doesnt look the steriod stereotype (bigger head, unbelievable increase in muscle size) James Toney I can believe, but RJJ's a tough one.
    From looking at his body James Toney is the last person I would thing had been using steroids. Using Big Macs definitely but steroids no way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you look at roy when he faught B-hop all those years ago at middleweight, and roy now, it's hard to say whether the size gain is natural or juice, because as they get older boxers naturally get bigger, but his physique is certainly very different now, his skull looks a bit weird now.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WWatt
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

The guy was juiced up to the gills from the age of 17, he weighed 193 for Ruiz and had about nine months to weigh 175 for Tarver. When you come off a steroid cycle you can lose 20lbs in a few days.
    Yeah and if I recall he only tested "positive" for a banned substance once and that is questionable if he actually did any steroids.

IMO with seeing guys use roids the don't look like RJJ...I mean if you're correct and he did use then he should have been concievibly fighting at welterweight.

As for the "bigger head" and all that it's not steroids that does that it's HGH. Human Growth Hormone makes your bones and internal organs grow as side affects to the muscle growth and it's why Barry Bonds can still play baseball

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyway, apart from the roids argument, RJJ wins an easy UD against Eubank at anytime of Eubank's career.

El Kabong Guest

I think he would have had an easier time with Benn... Eubank was quick which might have offset RJ's speed. I think RJJ had more power though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983
    Anyway, apart from the roids argument, RJJ wins an easy UD against Eubank at anytime of Eubank's career.
    Agreed, what are u gonna do with your 1000th post m8?
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its nice to see 2 fighters showing each other respect.

The funny thing about Eubank is that I can't decide if I love him or hate him.

Thread Information