Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Stocks and investments

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Go for it, if you got the determination and will to do it. Property is a better investment that shares in the long run.
    Ya master I have buddy who is a licensed plumber and another fiend who is into construction. It's just if u make a mistake and miss something major after you bought it you are screwed. It really would be a nice first home for someone if we could make it nice without sinking more than say 20,000 to 25,000 into but again the fact it's been on the market for a year gives me pause. Flippers usually find those things quickly and I know so little it makes me nervous. I'm making an appointment this week to check it out. Anyone here ever do this flipping shit. I have a minimum amount of profit I would need to make in my mind to make this even worthwhile. @Kirkland Laing you ever get into these types of things, I know you are ZOG so you are naturally good at making money though usually at the expense of others.
    Basically, if you do your homework, think it through and make a pact with your partner/mate that you need to agree on everything and not fall out , you should be fine. The key is if you buy it, get organised, flip it as quick as possible. Time is money. 3 more things spring to mind:
    1. As it's been on the market for a year, make sure you knock the price down even further ! You make your profit when you buy not when you sell!
    2. It's possible the professional flippers aren't going for it because they want/need a bigger margin than you. Never be afraid to take a profit, even if it's a slightly smaller one.
    3. Finish it neutrally but nicely. Don't get emotionally involved, you don't have to live there, so don't overspend on dressing the house!
    Good luck, you won't regret it!
    Regarding the place i was talking about I've been checking it out and I think it's
    Just too much work needed. I like the idea but that is would be biting off more than I could chew
    Good that you weren't swayed and you were thinking with a clear. Sometimes things are for a reason.
    You never know, the right one could come up. Good luck.👍
    Primo has been watching Homes Under the Hammer.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let me ask you English guys something. Does every Englishman get a pension when they retire. How is it structured. Does the government handle it or the employer. I'll get a pension from my government job but not many jobs in the us have pensions nowadays. We have employee matched 401k or 403b which are basically mutually funds tied to the market and bonds

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We have a state pension for those that have worked and contributed to the system which is not a lot and should not be depended on to retire with.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We have a state pension for those that have worked and contributed to the system which is not a lot and should not be depended on to retire with.
    Ok so it's probably similar in structure to our SSI. What about companies themselves, do they pay pensions? Do you guys havevinvestment vehicles like our 401k which is based on the stock market and bonds where you put in a percentage and the company matches it. In the us we have those, the contributions are usually pretax but you can't start taking money out until you hit retirement age. I'm just curious how you folks in England might do it

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok so it's probably similar in structure to our SSI. What about companies themselves, do they pay pensions? Do you guys havevinvestment vehicles like our 401k which is based on the stock market and bonds where you put in a percentage and the company matches it. In the us we have those, the contributions are usually pretax but you can't start taking money out until you hit retirement age. I'm just curious how you folks in England might do it
    I think there is a compulsory opt in pension that all employers have to implement and is being phased in hat everyone must have an employers pension. I got mines very late 2012 but had been working since 1995. It is generous with me contributing 7% and employer 12% and if I retire at 66ish (another 20 years) then I would get about £20K per year. It is inflation linked so that £20K would be the same value of it is now then.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think there is a compulsory opt in pension that all employers have to implement and is being phased in hat everyone must have an employers pension. I got mines very late 2012 but had been working since 1995. It is generous with me contributing 7% and employer 12% and if I retire at 66ish (another 20 years) then I would get about £20K per year. It is inflation linked so that £20K would be the same value of it is now then.
    Yes similar to our set up but some of our investment vehicles go up and down with the market opposed to a regular pension which is guaranteed. That 12 percent match is good. Very good actually. The place I work know I put in 7 and they do like nine or something. A lot of companies here in the us no longer have the traditional pension and do the 401k thing which saves them money. Anyway, finances really are stressful. Money isn't everything but it allows a lot of freedom. Perhaps you guys in England have a better safety net for the retired. It's difficult here and it's very easy to not plan ahead. Then you can develope strategies but life can change those in a blink of an eye. I started working when I was 14 I think I pissed away a lot of money on stupid shit when I was younger

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Master do you guys have to work 40 quarters meaning basically 10 years full time as a minimum in order to qualify for your pension?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    @Master do you guys have to work 40 quarters meaning basically 10 years full time as a minimum in order to qualify for your pension?
    To get the full basic State Pension you need a total of 30 qualifying years of National Insurance contributions or credits.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These days I tend to stick to presenting on macro indexes such as, FTSE100, S&P 500, Gold, Silver, Vix, Crude Oil, Nasdaq 100.

Puts and Call options are interesting for hedging, but don't have experience of them yet

Tend to look at it from purely technical chart point of view to tell me what the market might be up to. No fundamental economic considerations, only price.

Still developments ng my style, but already know myself well enough after many wins and losses to understand risk profile and trading profile.

May dip into cryptocurrency, as even at this stage there are over 1200 to choose from. Looking at top ten as the rest seem like crowdfunding in another form.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crypto still has a long way to go. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bitcoin go to 100,000 plus several years from now. People want an alternative and if you can get ahead too, it is win win.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sanatogen View Post
    These days I tend to stick to presenting on macro indexes such as, FTSE100, S&P 500, Gold, Silver, Vix, Crude Oil, Nasdaq 100.

Puts and Call options are interesting for hedging, but don't have experience of them yet

Tend to look at it from purely technical chart point of view to tell me what the market might be up to. No fundamental economic considerations, only price.

Still developments ng my style, but already know myself well enough after many wins and losses to understand risk profile and trading profile.

May dip into cryptocurrency, as even at this stage there are over 1200 to choose from. Looking at top ten as the rest seem like crowdfunding in another form.
    Futures and what not look interesting
    But I know not of them. I like the sandp 500 for relative safety. Emerging markets is doing well now. Bitcoin interests me as well but the analysts say it's not a good investment due to manipulation

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sanatogen View Post

Futures and what not look interesting
    But I know not of them. I like the sandp 500 for relative safety. Emerging markets is doing well now. Bitcoin interests me as well but the analysts say it's not a good investment due to manipulation
    The mainstream has been out for Bitcoin from the off. It is a challenge to government and central banks, so it's a big no, no. You shouldn't bet your house on crypto, but IMO it can be part of a balanced position.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are some good arguments there, but if you bought Bitcoin at $500 and it is now $2000 plus then it is doing better than anything else out there. If you are going to go out and put everything into it, that is nuts. But a moderate amount in crypto (several interesting ones out there) as well as hedging in other investments seems sensible to me. My thinking is always be willing to lose something. I wouldn't use Bitcoin as a pension plan and even they go bust as do most currencies. I am cynical so I expect everything to turn to poo really.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Miles I hear u and I would not scoff at Bitcoin. Past results is no guarantee of future performance but Bitcoin has done incredibly well. If you have the money and could drop a grand or two in it I'd say what the hell. My secret of investing is if the money you have in keeps you up at night you are not doing it right. If you can buy, sit on it and not stress I'd say go for it. For me one issue is I know nothing about it. I can study a stock learn the P/E and everything but how can I determine the fundamentals of crypto currency? It definitely is attractive the gains have been spectacular and I know they have some atms in NYC where you can cash out Bitcoins, I think u should do it miles, plus you can buy hardcore drugs online with Bitcoin

Thread Information