http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...ght-tournament

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cruiserweight Tournament

This is turning into exactly what it was meant to be. Take a weight that isn't recognized and get all the best fighters and give them a chance at money and stardom.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Ward meant half the stuff he talked about 'moving up anything's possible' after night club punching Kovalevs nuts into wet oatmeal..he'd jump on this quality tourney. Put Perez on a cruiser comeback trail as a standby.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

they could do with a couple western/british/American names in it

I think Janie cox is signed up for the super middles too innee?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

I get what you're saying from a marketing perspective to Western people. But I assume they will just hold fights in other countries where those men are popular.

I've never understood the mentality of liking the home guy anyway. Probably from growing up in Michigan with most every profession franchise sucking I learned to root for the teams I like to watch. Boxing when I was too young to stay up and watch the US fights I'd watch foreign fighters on Wide World of Sports. So rooting for guys because of country never made sense to me. To me it is Ukrainians and Russians that are the best in this class, okay, we'll watch Ukrainians and Russians. No difference. As long as good fighters are fighting good fighters I'm in.

The class seems hot right now. Will be good to know if it is hot or it's an illusion from soft match making. Like Usyk, I thought he was going to be really good but as his competition got harder I haven't seen the progression from him. Would love to see him take the next step. And Kovalev is thinking about going up to cruiserweight. I would love to see him dive right into this. There's a spot for him but I doubt he will make a decision so quick. July 8th will be very interesting to know who fills the last spots

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward or Kovalev could both do a ton of good for themselves if they join. Kovalev would totally revitalize his career and continue to be perceived as a top fighter in the sport. Ward could cement his legacy as on of the best fighters in this generation if he wins it. I hope that one of them decides to join.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't even realize this had all been finalized, good stuff. I'm not familiar with Kudryashov or Dorticos, but could still do without Huck being in it myself. I've never liked watching him and think he's probably on the slide. If they need him to make it 8 solid guys fine, but otherwise I'd rather see a couple of interesting entries like Ward or Kovalev, Mike Perez, as mentioned.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

I get what you're saying from a marketing perspective to Western people. But I assume they will just hold fights in other countries where those men are popular.

I've never understood the mentality of liking the home guy anyway. Probably from growing up in Michigan with most every profession franchise sucking I learned to root for the teams I like to watch. Boxing when I was too young to stay up and watch the US fights I'd watch foreign fighters on Wide World of Sports. So rooting for guys because of country never made sense to me. To me it is Ukrainians and Russians that are the best in this class, okay, we'll watch Ukrainians and Russians. No difference. As long as good fighters are fighting good fighters I'm in.

The class seems hot right now. Will be good to know if it is hot or it's an illusion from soft match making. Like Usyk, I thought he was going to be really good but as his competition got harder I haven't seen the progression from him. Would love to see him take the next step. And Kovalev is thinking about going up to cruiserweight. I would love to see him dive right into this. There's a spot for him but I doubt he will make a decision so quick. July 8th will be very interesting to know who fills the last spots
    yeah I know what youre saying, the tournament would be a high quality if they picked the fighters dependent on their ability rather than where they come from

theres a massive market in the west tho, so a couple of fighters from there, particularly if they do alright, would probably raise the profile of the event and the eastern European fighters in it
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I didn't even realize this had all been finalized, good stuff. I'm not familiar with Kudryashov or Dorticos, but could still do without Huck being in it myself. I've never liked watching him and think he's probably on the slide. If they need him to make it 8 solid guys fine, but otherwise I'd rather see a couple of interesting entries like Ward or Kovalev, Mike Perez, as mentioned.
    kudryashov is a good addition because he is arguably the biggest hitter at the weight with all 21 wins coming by Ko but in his sole loss he was knocked out and looked abit stiff and clueless so he's certainly gonna bring entertainment to this win or lose. Huck I think has been thrown in because he's been a long time cruiser champ and probably deserves one last chance but I can't see it ending well for him. I'm with you about mike perez' inclusion. Get him in there! His last fight didn't show us much because his opponent flopped but he looked in terrific shape and I'm keen to see him at cruiserweight.

they need Marius breidis in it as an unbeaten champ and gassiev who's another puncher who beat lebedev. Usyk obviously should be in otherwise we have another situation like super 6 where after the tournament some people still ranked Bute as number 1.

Im not sure it's a wise move for Kovalev to mix it it with these guys. If he felt wards punches albeit illegal shots I don't see him coping with guys like gassiev, breidis, usyk or in fact kudryashov. I'd make him underdog in those fights.

i don't see Ward joining being the diva he is. He'd want home advantage again in every fight like super 6 and it would invalidate the whole tourney if they granted him that. Let him fight in Russia and see what he can get away with there

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Update on this. Usyk is signed on so they have

Usyk(WBO)
    Dorticos(WBA)
    Breidis(WBC)
    Gassiev(IBF)
    Huck
    Wlodarczyk

And at 168

Groves(WBA)
    Skoglund
    Cox

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The whole boxibg super series is decided except the Eubank/Abraham winner will enter. Someone mentioned wanting Mike Perez in it I believe, he is
    http://www.boxingscene.com/world-box...eeding--118273

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This looks absolutely fantastic! Much, much better than the super-six (remember Ward especially and Froch weren't fancied/favourites when it started)

The cruiser comp is awesome. Someone is going to have to pick between Kudryashov, Huck and Perez as their "gimme!!!" fight. That's meant to be your "EASY" fight. Fascinating.

And now Smith and Eubank Jr have been added to SM that looks terrific too. Finally Jamie 'broadmoor' Cox gets a shot - either a told you so, or a told ya so, win or exposed. Is Rob Brant the new Ward?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cruiserweight/SM Tournament - World Boxing Super Series

The best Usyk is the stand out guy at Cruiser-weight hell of a boxer Bellend with still be living off his victory of Haye for years to come so he will not risk fighting a bunch of very good fighters, remember now Tony is a super star in his own front room.
    The SM tournament may hold a few surprises all in all good for boxing and us fans.

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    This looks absolutely fantastic! Much, much better than the super-six (remember Ward especially and Froch weren't fancied/favourites when it started)

The cruiser comp is awesome. Someone is going to have to pick between Kudryashov, Huck and Perez as their "gimme!!!" fight. That's meant to be your "EASY" fight. Fascinating.

And now Smith and Eubank Jr have been added to SM that looks terrific too. Finally Jamie 'broadmoor' Cox gets a shot - either a told you so, or a told ya so, win or exposed. Is Rob Brant the new Ward?
    Wow, the addition of Callum Smith to the SMW is brilliant. Even for non Brits the potential for matchups between him, Groves and Eubank is fantastic news. Did you have any bets early on for the Super Six (eventual winner etc) or did you wait until the later stages?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Wow, the addition of Callum Smith to the SMW is brilliant. Even for non Brits the potential for matchups between him, Groves and Eubank is fantastic news. Did you have any bets early on for the Super Six (eventual winner etc) or did you wait until the later stages?

Yeah both tournaments are looking great now. Interesting that eubank Abraham winner will enter because I was convinced jnr was going to defend an ibo title in leisure centres on itv Ppv for the rest of his days but he will have to fight good fighters if he enters this. Callum gave up a chance at the wbc title to do this so he must be confident but my concern for him is his trainer. He can't go out with his ear muffs on taking punches with no strategy like Gallagher instructs all his fighters to do. He needs a better trainer if he wants to compete at this level. George groves will start as one of the favourites and him vs eubank or smith in this tournament would be great

as much as I'm looking forward to the super middleweight tournament the cruiserweight one is going to deliver the best fights. Hard to believe that in this day and age the champs would be willing to put ego aside and fight the best with the exception of Tony bellew. He's looking for a final payday with Ward and isn't serious about being the best cruiserweight but would call himself p4p best if he won vs SOG.

usyk I agree should start as odds on to win the tournament but Maris breidis has a great boxing brain and can bang so he's one of the favourites. Gassiev is a beast with a Ko punch so he's gotta be up there. You can't write off a guy like kudryashov either, he's always dangerous and you've gotta give mike Perez a chance especially now he's dedicated. Greats fights wherever you look
    Last edited by GAME; 07-09-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Thread Information