Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ward vs Calzaghe

Just watched a YouTube segment where Jeff Mayweather is asking various fighters and trainers who would win, prime vs prime, in a fight between Andre Ward and Joe Calzaghe. The end result was 10 for Ward, and 8 for Joe. This is a fascinating match up and got me thinking: would I favor Ward's intelligence in the ring and versatility, or Joe's speed and volume.

Both are/were great fighters, and this would be a pick em fight. Joe would be difficult for anyone to handle because he was fast and extremely busy. That being said, I can't help but feel that Andre would be able to make it an ugly fight, and take the close decision. I also feel like Andre has the MUCH more impressive list of opponents than Joe does.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ward vs Calzaghe

True Ward could make it a horrible fight like BHop did against Joe but Calzaghe was very versatile as true champions are. Kessler was causing Joe issues as well but Joe adjusted his tactics and won impressively. Hard to pick a winner and it would be a close and cagey contest which could be decided on the location of the fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward isn't alien to making adjustments either. Like you said, BHOP gave Calzaghe problems, so a version 10-15 years younger might just beat him. Ward for me.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Ward isn't alien to making adjustments either. Like you said, BHOP gave Calzaghe problems, so a version 10-15 years younger might just beat him. Ward for me.
    You are Italian that is sacrilegious!

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe for me a couple of scouting round Joe outboxes the dirty git.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've watched that vid too. They always favour the American(black guy) but with a harmless fun-knowing wink. It was noticeable that most of Calzaghe's votes came from guys that fought in his era, in the 90s, whereas the younger guys were for Ward. But most were 50-50-ish saying Calzaghe is a great.

"He slaps yeah, he slaps the hell out of your face" - Kofi.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I know mate, I went to watch Joe live a few times as well and I like him, but just trying to tell it as it is.
    Having said that , Joe would've beaten every other British SMW there has been, hands down.
    So how does it feel that Britain's Rea test ever SMW was in fact ITALIAN? 😂😂
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 07-02-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know mate, I went to watch Joe live a few times as well and I like him, but just trying to tell it as it is.
    Having said that , Joe would've beaten every other British SMW there has been, hands down.
    So how does it feel that Britain's Rea test ever SMW was in fact ITALIAN? ������������
    English actually. He was born in Landan and didn't move to Wales until he was 2, by which time there is no turning back.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe definitely wins some rounds because he is busy, but Ward is fast and accurate. He would be able to time Calzaghe and land some hard shots. And Ward can fight so many styles to where I think he slows him down quite a bit by his tactics.

I think the scorecards would be anywhere from 117-111 to 115-113

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Calzaghe definitely wins some rounds because he is busy, but Ward is fast and accurate. He would be able to time Calzaghe and land some hard shots. And Ward can fight so many styles to where I think he slows him down quite a bit by his tactics.

If Joe was losing, he would just machine gun Ward with a million punches per round and just take them on sheer volume.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Joe was losing, he would just machine gun Ward with a million punches per round and just take them on sheer volume.
    Great fighters slow down volume punchers. I don't think Joe would be throwing a ton of punches come the mid rounds because Ward would be making him pay

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great fighters slow down volume punchers. I don't think Joe would be throwing a ton of punches come the mid rounds because Ward would be making him pay
    Joe had a way to dig deep and throw relentless punches. After a disastrous start against B Hop he just went into assault mode and B Hop could not cope and went all negative.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So how does it feel that Britain's Rea test ever SMW was in fact ITALIAN? ������������

Mate, I know you say this kind of thing all the time, and I THINK it's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but would you truly consider Calzaghe to be more of an Italian than a Welshman?
    For most people he's a Brit/Welsh with Italian heritage.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen logic of yours in regards to other fighters that if applied to Calzaghe would preclude him being primarily 'Italian' .
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post

Mate, I know you say this kind of thing all the time, and I THINK it's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but would you truly consider Calzaghe to be more of an Italian than a Welshman?

Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen logic of yours in regards to other fighters that if applied to Calzaghe would preclude him being primarily 'Italian' .
    Mate, you're right, it is a bit tongue in cheek, but I do disagree with you slightly. I see him more as Welsh/Italian , British doesn't come into it. He clearly feels that way as well.
    He used to have the Welsh and Italian flags on his shorts , but I never saw a Union Jack.
    This is the age old theme where if he's Welsh (or Scottish or Irish) and he's unsuccessful, then he's Welsh. But if he's Welsh and successful, then he's BRITISH.
    Whereas if he's English and successful, he's English.
    He's clearly Welsh and I'm not really trying to claim him for Italy, that's for him to do himself.
    But I know for an absolute fact that he feels more Italian than he does English or even British.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post

Mate, you're right, it is a bit tongue in cheek, but I do disagree with you slightly. I see him more as Welsh/Italian , British doesn't come into it. He clearly feels that way as well.
    He used to have the Welsh and Italian flags on his shorts , but I never saw a Union Jack.
    This is the age old theme where if he's Welsh (or Scottish or Irish) and he's unsuccessful, then he's Welsh. But if he's Welsh and successful, then he's BRITISH.
    Whereas if he's English and successful, he's English.
    He's clearly Welsh and I'm not really trying to claim him for Italy, that's for him to do himself.
    But I know for an absolute fact that he feels more Italian than he does English or even British.
    Despite being born in England and Wales being in Britain.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information