Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  68
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Conor McGregor toys with Paulie Malinaggi in sparring?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Conor McGregor toys with Paulie Malinaggi in sparring?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    For sure, I mean for practical reasons though.

And I specifically mean the very best practitioners of MMA, not just any old joe soap.

Floyd would knock half the UFC bods his size spark out with a jab if allowed to wear the knuckle dusters. Effing scary to think what would happen if sicko boxing bangers would do in the knuckle dusters. Frightening.
    It does not really work like that. Big boxing gloves increase your ability to knock somebody out not reduce it. For all that padding you are not cushioning the blow as much as protecting the fighter's hands. You are adding a big weight to the end of the arm and physics dictates that will increase the power of the impact. You hit someone repeatedly in the head without gloves and it fucks your hands up which is why bare knuckle fighters will punch to the body a lot and lower their heads to break an opponents hands. Floyd would not get near enough when people are allowed to use their legs. Mcgregor is not going to outbox Floyd and Floyd is not going to take him down anywhere but inside a boxing ring.
    That's rubbish and you know it.

Every boxer on earth says about sparring - "it was with big padded 16 ounce gloves not real ones," we have "punchers" gloves arguments take place in every other major fight, contracts written around it - "I couldn't wear Reyes, he insisted on "pillows" (Grant/Everlast).

But the only evidence anyone needs is to watch someone get punched with a boxing glove compared to those 5 ounce knuckle dusters. Either everyman that ever got chinned in an MMA fight is Amir Khan's fragile offspring or bareknuckle shots have a far bigger devastating impact? Or, of course, boxers are far weaker punchers than MMA fighters.
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-25-2017 at 05:37 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smaller gloves increase the ability to knock someone out. But large gloves are more dangerous, boxing rules are more dangerous. Having someone get knocked down and concussed get up and fight on is dangerous. Taking 400 punches when you were concussed by the 53rd is dangerous. Secondary concussions are far worse than simply being concussed.

It looks horrible seeing someone jump on someone for one last shot when the opponent is hurt on the ground in MMA but it is far safer for that persons brain than the guy stopping, the opponent getting up at the count of 8 and taking 50 more shots.

I think at this point it is obvious boxers are more skilled but anyone who has watched MMA evolve from the Gracie days has seen how much better MMA fighters have become. It's only going to continue to evolve with MMA gyms every 2 blocks. With kids growing up doing MMA from a young age as boxing has consistently done they will be very very skilled as adults.

It will still bore me to tears because it is so slow. It has to be with so many things to fear. The more skilled they become the slower it will be. If I watch a boxing match with no punches thrown by either guy for 20/30 seconds I will turn the channel(never seen that) but it is a regular occurrence in MMA because they are at such a distance for fear of kicks or takedowns or or or

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find it interesting that people are Figuring that mac wont get off at all/ cant catch Floyd/ wont hurt Floyd. I tend to lean a little towards some of DQ theories. Here's why...

Connor is a student of many different disciplines. Those of you who have trained in more than one discipline and subscribe to the concepts of JKD, know that there are quite a few places where many styles will overlap in terms of ranges, angles of attack, Attacks used etc. Which is what allows some martial artists and JKD Practitioners to be so fluid. That being said there are also areas where styles differ greatly...If you're looking for something unorthodox, Those are going to be the areas you would pull from. Odd angles, Looping shots, and footwork and clinches not seen in boxing.

Those sweeping upper-hook punches happen a lot more in in MMA than in boxing. Wider stances and quicker advances, and switching stances is also a lot more common in MMA. Remember Mike Tyson trying to break Botha's arm with the arm bar? Also happens a lot more in an mma clinch because its legal there. It was illegal but Tyson still got away with it ones or twice. Superman punch might also be legal in boxing (Not sure about leverage/leaving your feet for a punch). Checking and trapping punches higher up on the arm. These are things Floyd hasn't encountered much. Now I'm not saying Mac will use any of these things but these are a few of the things that are uncommon in boxing and that may be at his disposal.

The picture with Paulie alludes to Mac tucking his hands back and trying to bait Paulie by using his foot work and stepping back and sweeping an uppercut with his left hand or slipping an overhand right over the shoulder if Paulie advances behind the jab. Its the beginning of sparring and Mac was apparently not in the application /practice part of the sparring but seeing how Boxers work. Learning Floyd through Paulie's eyes and probably testing a theory that Floyd's defense against most fighters is great because he sees the hands (threats) and the body movements and positioning (tells) or reflexes or both. If you don't see my hands can you still tell which attack is coming as well as if i have them poised as lead and rear? If I'm standing perpendicular to you and you still tell where my weight is shifting as well as you could when I'm in the typical combat stance. Looks like hes studying Floyd not the way the fights going to go. After that is when you go into strategy. He's approaching this as a fighter not a boxer.

This could also explain Mac's exclusion of bayless as a ref. Bayless know what floyd likes and doesn't like. All those watching this, don't be surprised if Connor's got a case of happy feet and restless hands. However I still think Floyd will do something like turn away and complain about getting hit with rabbit kidney punches and stuff like that when Mac tries the side door.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From what I have seen of McGregor is he sets up his big left hand from the southpaw stance. His best best is to stink the fight and move around to set up Floyd. The money man should be too experienced to fall for the tactic but it is his best shot.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I specifically mean the very best practitioners of MMA, not just any old joe soap.

Floyd would knock half the UFC bods his size spark out with a jab if allowed to wear the knuckle dusters. Effing scary to think what would happen if sicko boxing bangers would do in the knuckle dusters. Frightening.
    It does not really work like that. Big boxing gloves increase your ability to knock somebody out not reduce it. For all that padding you are not cushioning the blow as much as protecting the fighter's hands. You are adding a big weight to the end of the arm and physics dictates that will increase the power of the impact. You hit someone repeatedly in the head without gloves and it fucks your hands up which is why bare knuckle fighters will punch to the body a lot and lower their heads to break an opponents hands. Floyd would not get near enough when people are allowed to use their legs. Mcgregor is not going to outbox Floyd and Floyd is not going to take him down anywhere but inside a boxing ring.

Every boxer on earth says about sparring - "it was with big padded 16 ounce gloves not real ones," we have "punchers" gloves arguments take place in every other major fight, contracts written around it - "I couldn't wear Reyes, he insisted on "pillows" (Grant/Everlast).

But the only evidence anyone needs is to watch someone get punched with a boxing glove compared to those 5 ounce knuckle dusters. Either everyman that ever got chinned in an MMA fight is Amir Khan's fragile offspring or bareknuckle shots have a far bigger devastating impact? Or, of course, boxers are far weaker punchers than MMA fighters.
    Bollocks and you know it nah, nah, nah. As soon as they introduced even small gloves to UFC Kos went up. With boxing the amount of knockouts when gloves were introduced went through the roof. If you crack someone on the chin with no gloves you may knock them out, if you hit them elsewhere on the head or even certain parts if the face you fuck your hands up. Big gloves = Less knuckle damage and facial cuts but not less chance of a KO. Punchers Gloves are the myth, sparring stories are often myths, just think about it. Even big gloves are not pillows and a pro boxer if he hits you right will cause a concussion, he will knock you out. Big gloves or "punchers gloves".
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bollocks and you know it nah, nah, nah. As soon as they introduced even small gloves to UFC Kos went up. With boxing the amount of knockouts when gloves were introduced went through the roof. If you crack someone on the chin with no gloves you may knock them out, if you hit them elsewhere on the head or even certain parts if the face you fuck your hands up. Big gloves = Less knuckle damage and facial cuts but not less chance of a KO. Punchers Gloves are the myth, sparring stories are often myths, just think about it. Even big gloves are not pillows and a pro boxer if he hits you right will cause a concussion, he will knock you out. Big gloves or "punchers gloves".
    I've just spent a few minutes browsing around trying to find the definitive answer to this, one thing that surprises me how few people have actually been hit by both styles of gloves and also how few of those few people are not biased towards one sport.

It looks like the best answer I can find is this one

Boxing gloves are a hammer, MMA gloves are a nail. Both hurt.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I would give Floyd a way better chance to beat Conor in MMA than I would give Conor to beat Floyd in a boxing matchup.

Floyd will definitely KO Conor if he wants to (which I'm assuming he will).
    "He'll stop him if he wants to" is cliche nonsense (imo). I grew up believing that too, however, the only real reason a fighter seemingly in a postition to KO their opponent doesn't is because they can't. They don't want to risk opening themselves up, tiring out. It's purely about a fighters mindset. 99.9% of them orgasm when they hurt/buzz/wobble their opponent and instinctively attempt to render them unconcious immediately.

So Floyd will definitely KO Conor if he can, if he doesn't it's because he wasn't capable.

Floyd wouldn't have a hope in hells of beating a highly skilled expert in kicking, kneeing, elbowing (he'd be good at that mind), wrestling, tripping and twisting arms and legs off. Floyd is fighting a man that has to be severely handicapped to make the crossover event viable.

MMA experts make boxers look primitive.
    Fine. Floyd will stop Conor. No doubt

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MMA is a sport just like boxing. You train specifically for that sport. Conor may be well versed in many different fighting styles, but he would not excel at any of them if he did them.

For example, George st Pierre was an awesome wrestler in UFC. This was without actually being a wrestler. He could take down wrestlers and defend a takedown. This is because he learned the UFC form of wrestling. If he were in a real wrestling match with one of these accomplished wrestlers, he would get destroyed.

Just like boxing. You train boxing for MMA but you train differently. You train in a way more effective for the rules of UFC. Conor has so much to learn in order to actually compete with a real boxer. There are too many tricks he doesn't know and it takes fighters years to learn.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Been semi watching mma from Forrest Griffin in some absolute hellacious fight (Broner..Bonner?) and think the time on the ground avoiding chokes and limb wrenches..but still more controlled breathing or time bought..cannot be overstated. Arguably and this may sound nuts but boxing can be far more physical with pure stamina. A ref will break guys clinching ten times before making two fellas playing twister 'stand up'.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Been semi watching mma from Forrest Griffin in some absolute hellacious fight (Broner..Bonner?) and think the time on the ground avoiding chokes and limb wrenches..but still more controlled breathing or time bought..cannot be overstated. Arguably and this may sound nuts but boxing can be far more physical with pure stamina. A ref will break guys clinching ten times before making two fellas playing twister 'stand up'.
    Honestly, grappling can be very exhausting. It cannot be undersestimated how much energy is required to take someone down or attempt to repeatedly and attempt submissions. It takes great endurance to do this plus strike for 15 mins or 25 mins in UFC main events or title matches.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Completely different stamina. Each sport you train to have stamina for that specific sport.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Myths? This isn't even debatable. I don't believe for a second YOU even believe the tosh you're writing.

I could pull a million quotes in mere seconds of boxers waffling about thick padded sparring gloves. Every fighter on the planet that's ever done an interview about sparring has mentioned the difference between 16+oz gloves and 10-8 oz ones. Literally everyone.

Just the other week Frank Warren/Nicola Adams were lobbying for the size of womens gloves to be reduced from 10 to 8 ounces. Why? Because the thicker padded gloves were preventing women from exhibiting their power. They were like "pillows!!!" on smaller women.

A couple of relevant examples for the thread.... When asked about McGregor's power Chris van Heerden said - "I didn't feel his power, but then again, it was with big 16 ounce gloves not 10 ounce ones"

Steve Bunce writing about Rhonda Rousey - Her fists are concealed inside lightly padded knuckleduster gloves, which provide her and all MMA fighters with a nasty tool; it is an advantage Rousey will lose once her fists are inside a regulation set of 10-ounce boxing gloves.

Enough?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Completely different stamina. Each sport you train to have stamina for that specific sport.
    Yes and yet top boxers train to punch each other by running 10 miles a day. Point is that mma fighters do have stamina, including McGregor. That said, I don't think he has 36 mins of fighting stamina.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just the other week Frank Warren/Nicola Adams were lobbying for the size of womens gloves to be reduced from 10 to 8 ounces. Why? Because the thicker padded gloves were preventing women from exhibiting their power. They were like "pillows!!!" on smaller women.
    Buncey feels quite strongly about womens gloves, I remember his saying that something needs to be done and that the gloves they currently wear nearly come up to their elbows because they are far too big and they cant score KO's with them.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Yes and yet top boxers train to punch each other by running 10 miles a day. Point is that mma fighters do have stamina, including McGregor. That said, I don't think he has 36 mins of fighting stamina.
    Running is for general fitness. Conor obviously won't tire out in two minutes. He has no idea how preserve himself for 12 rounds though. Just like Floyd would gas by the end of an MMA fight.

Thread Information