Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nery stops Yamanaka in 4!

What do we make of this? Yamanaka was top 10 P4P before. Does it say more about who Nery will be or more about where Yamanaka is now?

https://youtu.be/vHcMuAsPc8A

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nery stops Yamanaka in 4!

That was an action packed fight particularly the end when Nery went all out attack!

Both gave it their all.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    What do we make of this? Yamanaka was top 10 P4P before. Does it say more about who Nery will be or more about where Yamanaka is now?

Now , some people aren't going to agree with me and fair enough. First and foremost, the p4p is a meaningless crock of shit after #1,2&3.
    Secondly, I have a theory that at the really low weights, they don't carry much kudos for p4p. The reasons being :
    A. Less people fight at these weights, people in the World are getting bigger, taller, heavier. Therefore , to be the best, there's less competition.
    B. Because every guy at these low,low weights carries no surplus ounces, they're all fit as fleas, they're all quick as fuck and because they are so "levelled", there's more chance of titles changing hands more often. Naturally there are exceptions to every rule and I know Yamanake was champ for a long time, but by and large I believe this theory applies.
    Come on then, I'm giving you all a chance to make me look stupid!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and Peopleโ€™s Champion.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Now , some people aren't going to agree with me and fair enough. First and foremost, the p4p is a meaningless crock of shit after #1,2&3.
    Secondly, I have a theory that at the really low weights, they don't carry much kudos for p4p. The reasons being :
    A. Less people fight at these weights, people in the World are getting bigger, taller, heavier. Therefore , to be the best, there's less competition.
    B. Because every guy at these low,low weights carries no surplus ounces, they're all fit as fleas, they're all quick as fuck and because they are so "levelled", there's more chance of titles changing hands more often. Naturally there are exceptions to every rule and I know Yamanake was champ for a long time, but by and large I believe this theory applies.
    I believe in P4P to an extent. I think after 4/5 spots it becomes a popularity contest for most.

I think the little guys are generally far far better boxers. Skill wise there is no comparison. But I think once you get under 118 it starts getting questionable because there just aren't enough people so small.

I think there is more at play though than people gettibg bigger. That effects the heavyweight landscape. But what about countries with the necessary hardship to produce many fighters, are those people getting bigger? Everything in life has many layers.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never seen either one fight but I have heard of yamanaka. Yamanaka looked sharp but nery just seemed to throw at awkward angles and just landed hard shots.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some shrewd judges called this "upset," Nery was backed into favourite from underdog

Yamanaka started to look ropey-old a few fights back, can't take a punch anymore, not surprising his corner was quick to save him from being humiliated.
    Last edited by Fenster; 08-16-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theory B. would imply the level of competition is far greater at lower weights, no? Apart from the physical superiority en masse you've outlined, it makes sense that titles will change hands more frequently amongst a pool of competition of equal standard. And by that reasoning would make standout fighters more worthy than any to be considered special (P4P).

A? It's only true of the very two smallest divisions that there's significantly less pros per division. Bantamweight (which is the weight of this thread) has over a thousand registered pros, virtually the same amount as lightheavy. Then factor in that it's far more likely for smaller weight fighters to explore surrounding divisions and you can make a case for them having more top-drawer competition than heavier weights.
    Last edited by Fenster; 08-16-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe in P4P to an extent. I think after 4/5 spots it becomes a popularity contest for most.

I think the little guys are generally far far better boxers. Skill wise there is no comparison. But I think once you get under 118 it starts getting questionable because there just aren't enough people so small.

I think there is more at play though than people gettibg bigger. That effects the heavyweight landscape. But what about countries with the necessary hardship to produce many fighters, are those people getting bigger? Everything in life has many layers.
    About the size thing, this is my point. Globally people are getting bigger. In areas where people aren't getting bigger (usually 3rd World/Poverty stricken countries) , those countries don't normally have the infrastructure to be able to get somebody to World Champ status.
    I appreciate that this is a big generalisation, and I'm there to be shot at. ๐Ÿ˜„

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Theory B. would imply the level of competition is far greater at lower weights, no? Apart from the physical superiority en masse you've outlined, it makes sense that titles will change hands more frequently amongst a pool of competition of equal standard. And by that reasoning would make standout fighters more worthy than any to be considered special (P4P).

A? It's only true of the very two smallest divisions that there's significantly less pros per division. Bantamweight (which is the weight of this thread) has over a thousand registered pros, virtually the same amount as lightheavy. Then factor in that it's far more likely for smaller weight fighters to explore surrounding divisions and you can make a case for them having more top-drawer competition than heavier weights.
    All I would say, is how many 12 stone blokes do you see walk the streets? And how many 8 stone blokes do you see walk the streets?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All I would say, is how many 12 stone blokes do you see walk the streets? And how many 8 stone blokes do you see walk the streets?
    In the west people are bigger, for sure.

Not sure what your point is to be honest? (not being funny or anything)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah I know you're not being funny, I'm not sure if I know myself what my point is! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I'll try to explain myself later when I get a bit more time.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

right, let me try to explain myself better, I know I didn't do that , hope this is more understandable. I did say I was there to be shot down in flames and my theory is a touch contradictory in parts, but in essence, what I'm saying is that there are less fighters at the really low weights (this being at the top end of that),
    and so you can become a champion and consequently have a better chance of staying a champion for a longer time, making you appear to be more credible in the p4p rankings.
    add to this (and this is admittedly a bit contradictory) ANY 8 stone guy is tip top fit, throws a million punches and is quick as fuck, because they're 8 stone.
    this means that you can have "upsets" and fluctuations on a more regular basis. the contradiction is "well if that's the case , Yamanake should have MORE kudos for being a champion as long as he was?"
    so Yamanake wasn't a great example, but that's what my theory is all about.
    I know, it's still not that clear, is it? just forget about it, I'm having a funny one.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and Peopleโ€™s Champion.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You done good Primo, that was still as clear as mud :-)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    You done good Primo, that was still as clear as mud :-)
    Yeah I know!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a way to make an entrance. Yamanaka was getting a little long in the tooth but was still very highly regarded. His rematch with Moreno was excellent. Cracks had started to appear. Nery is a nice addition to the division. His chin passed a stern test and he's got some pop. The division is slowly heating up. The guy to watch at 118 for me is Emmanuel Rodriguez.

Thread Information