Likes Likes:  151
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nasty Weather Thread

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    From the news coverage, looks like Panama City took a direct hit from the eye. I hope your family's ok, and if they're in a brick, 2-story structure they should be fine. Scared as hell maybe, but fine. Damn these hurricanes seem to be getting worse every year. Seems we're in an UP part of the climactic cycle for these things. It also seems it's a roll of the dice as far as where these things form and where they're headed. For us in the Caribbean, it's the Cape Verde hurricanes that scare us the most. Plenty of time to churn through the Atlantic and pick up steam. For you guys on the Gulf coast, it seems they can just form in the Gulf and give you problems with little notice. The East coast at least has length going for it, but the Carolinas jut out like a jaw asking for an uppercut and tend to be sweet for these storms. Oh well.... it's either this or earthquakes. I guess I'll stick with the occasional hurricane. (Although after Maria I may just move to Alaska... hahaha).
    Too many people moved to the beaches, they built up areas which nature intended to absorb the storms. Even our wetlands have been encroached on by people and they are supposed to help stymie the storm surge.....oh well.

El Kabong Guest

Hurricane Michael is hitting here a lot harder than Florence.....impressive wind out gusting here today. Lots of rain.

We'll be fine, just interesting to notice the difference between the storms

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lock up and stay safe. Crazy that every time this year you get these extreme weathers.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Lock up and stay safe. Crazy that every time this year you get these extreme weathers.
    Not EVERY time....but Hell it's no big deal they've come and gone from before humans you just got to deal with it

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Not EVERY time....but Hell it's no big deal they've come and gone from before humans you just got to deal with it
    This time last year it was the same. It seems an annual event. You are a tough breed. I would be crying into my cup of tea.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Hurricane Michael is hitting here a lot harder than Florence.....impressive wind out gusting here today. Lots of rain.

We'll be fine, just interesting to notice the difference between the storms

Damn, I never would've guessed. But then Florence stalled and weakened off the coast of the Carolinas, whereas Michael plowed through lots of flatlands in the Florida panhandle and has torn a path through Georgia and into the Carolinas.

Hope you're staying safe, my friend.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The footage will pull your guts out. Sis and Dads homes are gone with the small community all but wiped out being just east of the eye wall. All I've seen is aerial footage and some stills and they just today got some boots on the ground in some areas but the entire area is splintered. Even Tyndall base was wrecked beyond recognition. Still no word from family members in P.C and love to pray that it's because towers, lines and power are all down. I don't know.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    The footage will pull your guts out. Sis and Dads homes are gone with the small community all but wiped out being just east of the eye wall. All I've seen is aerial footage and some stills and they just today got some boots on the ground in some areas but the entire area is splintered. Even Tyndall base was wrecked beyond recognition. Still no word from family members in P.C and love to pray that it's because towers, lines and power are all down. I don't know.

I feel for you, bro. The memories are all too clear. Not being able to hear from family members is the worst part, until they've managed to reach you and tell you they're ok. Had a daughter living in Denver last year who didn't hear from any of us for a week, and broke down crying when we were finally able to reach her after Maria. The thing with Michael is that it was just so quick to develop and reach the mainland. Shitty thing about those Gulf hurricanes. Sorry to hear about your family's homes. They say it's only material things... but losing a home is a huge blow for anybody... damn. I've seen some of the footage. It's brutal. 155-mph winds smacking right into the coastal towns. Don't know how construction codes are up there, but I remember after Andrew in '92 some of the codes were changed at least in South Florida. Winds like that will usually only spare concrete or brick homes. Wood if they're made right, but it's a chance nonetheless.

Stay positive man. It's usually the worst before you connect with family, thinking the worst.... but remember one of the first things to go are the power and communications. You'll hear from them soon enough.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

I feel for you, bro. The memories are all too clear. Not being able to hear from family members is the worst part, until they've managed to reach you and tell you they're ok. Had a daughter living in Denver last year who didn't hear from any of us for a week, and broke down crying when we were finally able to reach her after Maria. The thing with Michael is that it was just so quick to develop and reach the mainland. Shitty thing about those Gulf hurricanes. Sorry to hear about your family's homes. They say it's only material things... but losing a home is a huge blow for anybody... damn. I've seen some of the footage. It's brutal. 155-mph winds smacking right into the coastal towns. Don't know how construction codes are up there, but I remember after Andrew in '92 some of the codes were changed at least in South Florida. Winds like that will usually only spare concrete or brick homes. Wood if they're made right, but it's a chance nonetheless.

Stay positive man. It's usually the worst before you connect with family, thinking the worst.... but remember one of the first things to go are the power and communications. You'll hear from them soon enough.
    I appreciate that Tito. Even after Katrina a had a landline out for 2 days before they went down. I keep searching surrounding roads of their last known location through their local news, drones and short vids on FB and random posts and well, it's hard man. It looks really really bad. Your gut talks to you but gotta stay positive right.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saw the carnage this morning on TV that is horrific.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It worked. Good news yesterday evening. Broken foot, two smashed fingers, couple broken hearts and their first showers in 4 days but very thankful. Now we just sort 10001 pages of red tape and plot the comeback.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Injuries....

Speaks to the massiveness and viciousness of the storm. Very happy to hear your news though. Sad when you keep reading the news and the death count continuously piles up as rescuers dig more and more into the destruction.

Glad your news were good.

Getting power back will be great..... but getting water back is too precious for words.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Injuries....

Speaks to the massiveness and viciousness of the storm. Very happy to hear your news though. Sad when you keep reading the news and the death count continuously piles up as rescuers dig more and more into the destruction.

Glad your news were good.

Getting power back will be great..... but getting water back is too precious for words.
    Yeh bud made our day. The spread of damage is unfortunately very impressive. Cannot see an untouched structure anywhere and anyone needing firewood has lifetime supply, bring a chainsaw. Shocked at least PC beach area already has a couple stores coming back. The roll out on energy crews is good so far.

El Kabong Guest

NC most certainly didn't get the full brunt of it. My parents are without power until Tuesday. Luckily for them they're on vacation so it's my problem. I had the chainsaw working hard yesterday.

I feel for Florida and all in the path, but it's the price of living on/near the beach.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, you had a lot of land mass between you and Michael. I imagine Georgia got hit pretty good too, since the Florida panhandle is relatively narrow and Michael just smashed right through there.

Chainsaws and generators. Those are the sounds that fill the air after a major hurricane hits.

Thread Information