Likes Likes:  151
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nasty Weather Thread

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Hey bro. We're just bracing for the hit now. The path of Maria takes her right through the NE corner of the island, where I live. Still have power, but it's a matter of several hours before things get wild. When you have a Cat 5 bearing down on you, you can't help second guessing every storm shutter, every tie down, everything around the property that could become a projectile. It's gonna be a loooong night.
    Again booze is useful to pass the time...you can get drunk, you can clean wounds, you can help start a fire (if you're drinking the right stuff).

Stay safe bud and let the Saddo Red Cross know if you guys need a care package sent...I am sure we could crowdfund something for you if needed.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you know why hurricanes are always named after women?

Because when they come they are wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the record Nate can kiss me arse. I had to go to 3 different stores yesterday just to find a bottle of Captains! Looks like landfall as Cat. 2 over the next twelve hours but as of now we're stocked up and hunkered down and still have power. Generator went to shat last week and haven't had time to get a new one so we'll see. Cannot get over the speed at 26mph and one of the fastest moving hurricanes I can remembers. N.O will get hit and surely Biloxi will take it on the chin also. Fast moving is a good thing! So hurricane party it is

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    For the record Nate can kiss me arse. I had to go to 3 different stores yesterday just to find a bottle of Captains! Looks like landfall as Cat. 2 over the next twelve hours but as of now we're stocked up and hunkered down and still have power. Generator went to shat last week and haven't had time to get a new one so we'll see. Cannot get over the speed at 26mph and one of the fastest moving hurricanes I can remembers. N.O will get hit and surely Biloxi will take it on the chin also. Fast moving is a good thing! So hurricane party it is
    Sounds insane! You seem experienced in managing these extreme weathers.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Sounds insane! You seem experienced in managing these extreme weathers.
    Haven't stayed for one in about 6 yrs and it crept up on us. Shouldn't be a big deal all things considered as long as levees hold firm and city pumps are working. Though a nail being hammered would also qualify as 'experienced' .

El Kabong Guest

Drink hearty and stay safe!

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If u don't mind me asking what type of generator do you have I've been considering getting one

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was the most overblown hurricane I've ever sat in if I'm honest. Eastern jog occurred at mouth of the Mississippi and over here we literally had maybe 45 minutes of rain and minor wind gusts. Still cannot get over the Mayor issuing a 6pm curfew prior to any landfall whatsoever. I fully understand precaution but some of this City acts like a flinchy dog when systems form. You simply cannot amp up to that level at the sight of each and every minor storm, just not healthy and it burns you out. Inland tornadoes biggest threat off these types.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    If u don't mind me asking what type of generator do you have I've been considering getting one
    We'll dub it a Home Depot cheapo special . Champion 3550 and owner at work picked up a couple for upcoming Osha inspection so took one home after Irma as a loner. Decent enough for minor needs and nighttime power up if power out, fans, fridge, lamp etc. but didn't actually use outright. Think we're having problems with carb compliance or some shit as he went cheap. Think will swap out, wheel kit and longer run before the seasons over. If I were you and goes without saying just spend the money if you get one. It's a long term investment on the back end depending on what you're looking to run, family etc and pinching pennies for such a thing not the way to go.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad you are safe which is the main thing.

It looked awful on the news.

Now what the generator that you have? 😀

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They always look worse with the massive doppler's and neon tracks . I always tell local friends losing their mental shat to basically shut off the news 3,2 days out. Just track it yourself for much clearer picture and far less stress. With hurricanes you either move out of the way or prepare to hunker down in place, nothing else.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They always look worse with the massive doppler's and neon tracks . I always tell local friends losing their mental shat to basically shut off the news 3,2 days out. Just track it yourself for much clearer picture and far less stress. With hurricanes you either move out of the way or prepare to hunker down in place, nothing else.
    Speaks a man of experience. I would be crying and screaming looking at the news on TV.

El Kabong Guest

That was the most overblown hurricane I've ever sat in if I'm honest. Eastern jog occurred at mouth of the Mississippi and over here we literally had maybe 45 minutes of rain and minor wind gusts. Still cannot get over the Mayor issuing a 6pm curfew prior to any landfall whatsoever. I fully understand precaution but some of this City acts like a flinchy dog when systems form. You simply cannot amp up to that level at the sight of each and every minor storm, just not healthy and it burns you out. Inland tornadoes biggest threat off these types.
    That happens with snow and ice here in NC.....bread, milk, & eggs are the purchases of the day (IDK people make French Toast I guess ) and the driving....the driving is bad anyway but when it's snow and ice, holy shit. Every jackoff with 4 wheel drive thinks they can just peel out and drive like assholes (half of those I think are halfbacks...a halfback being a Yankee retiree who moved to Florida found it was too hot and moved half way back up the Eastern seaboard.).

El Kabong Guest

Speaks a man of experience. I would be crying and screaming looking at the news on TV.

In New Orleans a Category 1 could still be dangerous, they're below sea level, a storm surge floods N.O. hell a good sized Thunderstorm could do that a hurricane most definitely. Typically a Category 1 storm won't be anything but a glorified thunderstorm, the worst thing it could do is spawn a series of large tornadoes.

The key is to know your topography, know how water drains in your general area, know where the water goes, know how much water represents a problem, and also know about what wind damage means for you....will a tree or two being down block you in or out of your neighborhood? Also if you're on the oceanfront/ocean adjacent, is the storm making landfall at high or low tide because that will effect storm surge.

Also have water, a generator, food, something for warmth, a radio, first aid, and a phone (and booze) at the ready.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

In New Orleans a Category 1 could still be dangerous, they're below sea level, a storm surge floods N.O. hell a good sized Thunderstorm could do that a hurricane most definitely. Typically a Category 1 storm won't be anything but a glorified thunderstorm, the worst thing it could do is spawn a series of large tornadoes.

The key is to know your topography, know how water drains in your general area, know where the water goes, know how much water represents a problem, and also know about what wind damage means for you....will a tree or two being down block you in or out of your neighborhood? Also if you're on the oceanfront/ocean adjacent, is the storm making landfall at high or low tide because that will effect storm surge.

Also have water, a generator, food, something for warmth, a radio, first aid, and a phone (and booze) at the ready.
    Spicoli needs a companion too.

Thread Information