Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  86
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 237

Thread: The Nasty Weather Thread

Share/Bookmark
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    58,417
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2981
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Glad you are safe which is the main thing.

    It looked awful on the news.

    Now what the generator that you have? πŸ˜€
    They always look worse with the massive doppler's and neon tracks . I always tell local friends losing their mental shat to basically shut off the news 3,2 days out. Just track it yourself for much clearer picture and far less stress. With hurricanes you either move out of the way or prepare to hunker down in place, nothing else.
    Speaks a man of experience. I would be crying and screaming looking at the news on TV.

    In New Orleans a Category 1 could still be dangerous, they're below sea level, a storm surge floods N.O. hell a good sized Thunderstorm could do that a hurricane most definitely. Typically a Category 1 storm won't be anything but a glorified thunderstorm, the worst thing it could do is spawn a series of large tornadoes.


    The key is to know your topography, know how water drains in your general area, know where the water goes, know how much water represents a problem, and also know about what wind damage means for you....will a tree or two being down block you in or out of your neighborhood? Also if you're on the oceanfront/ocean adjacent, is the storm making landfall at high or low tide because that will effect storm surge.


    Also have water, a generator, food, something for warmth, a radio, first aid, and a phone (and booze) at the ready.
    Spicoli needs a companion too.
    I reckon right now he'd want somebody more agreeable than me and of a different gender....but whatever, I'll tip a glass for the man
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56,658
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2697
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Glad you are safe which is the main thing.

    It looked awful on the news.

    Now what the generator that you have? πŸ˜€
    They always look worse with the massive doppler's and neon tracks . I always tell local friends losing their mental shat to basically shut off the news 3,2 days out. Just track it yourself for much clearer picture and far less stress. With hurricanes you either move out of the way or prepare to hunker down in place, nothing else.
    Speaks a man of experience. I would be crying and screaming looking at the news on TV.

    In New Orleans a Category 1 could still be dangerous, they're below sea level, a storm surge floods N.O. hell a good sized Thunderstorm could do that a hurricane most definitely. Typically a Category 1 storm won't be anything but a glorified thunderstorm, the worst thing it could do is spawn a series of large tornadoes.


    The key is to know your topography, know how water drains in your general area, know where the water goes, know how much water represents a problem, and also know about what wind damage means for you....will a tree or two being down block you in or out of your neighborhood? Also if you're on the oceanfront/ocean adjacent, is the storm making landfall at high or low tide because that will effect storm surge.


    Also have water, a generator, food, something for warmth, a radio, first aid, and a phone (and booze) at the ready.
    Spicoli needs a companion too.
    I reckon right now he'd want somebody more agreeable than me and of a different gender....but whatever, I'll tip a glass for the man
    I was thinking a dog.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    58,417
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2981
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Glad you are safe which is the main thing.

    It looked awful on the news.

    Now what the generator that you have? πŸ˜€
    They always look worse with the massive doppler's and neon tracks . I always tell local friends losing their mental shat to basically shut off the news 3,2 days out. Just track it yourself for much clearer picture and far less stress. With hurricanes you either move out of the way or prepare to hunker down in place, nothing else.
    Speaks a man of experience. I would be crying and screaming looking at the news on TV.

    In New Orleans a Category 1 could still be dangerous, they're below sea level, a storm surge floods N.O. hell a good sized Thunderstorm could do that a hurricane most definitely. Typically a Category 1 storm won't be anything but a glorified thunderstorm, the worst thing it could do is spawn a series of large tornadoes.


    The key is to know your topography, know how water drains in your general area, know where the water goes, know how much water represents a problem, and also know about what wind damage means for you....will a tree or two being down block you in or out of your neighborhood? Also if you're on the oceanfront/ocean adjacent, is the storm making landfall at high or low tide because that will effect storm surge.


    Also have water, a generator, food, something for warmth, a radio, first aid, and a phone (and booze) at the ready.
    Spicoli needs a companion too.
    I reckon right now he'd want somebody more agreeable than me and of a different gender....but whatever, I'll tip a glass for the man
    I was thinking a dog.
    You sick son of a πŸ˜‚
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    38,601
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4719
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Glad you are safe which is the main thing.

    It looked awful on the news.

    Now what the generator that you have? πŸ˜€
    They always look worse with the massive doppler's and neon tracks . I always tell local friends losing their mental shat to basically shut off the news 3,2 days out. Just track it yourself for much clearer picture and far less stress. With hurricanes you either move out of the way or prepare to hunker down in place, nothing else.
    Speaks a man of experience. I would be crying and screaming looking at the news on TV.

    In New Orleans a Category 1 could still be dangerous, they're below sea level, a storm surge floods N.O. hell a good sized Thunderstorm could do that a hurricane most definitely. Typically a Category 1 storm won't be anything but a glorified thunderstorm, the worst thing it could do is spawn a series of large tornadoes.


    The key is to know your topography, know how water drains in your general area, know where the water goes, know how much water represents a problem, and also know about what wind damage means for you....will a tree or two being down block you in or out of your neighborhood? Also if you're on the oceanfront/ocean adjacent, is the storm making landfall at high or low tide because that will effect storm surge.


    Also have water, a generator, food, something for warmth, a radio, first aid, and a phone (and booze) at the ready.
    It's almost a lot like this place during Mardi Gras for lack of a better analogy . You indeed needs to know the grounds and precise location and drainage as well as what main roads go under first and alternative routes. We have a low section on I 10 under a train trestle heading East that literally goes under rather quickly now and regularly lose cars of people trying to beat it. Cuts THE only interstate off with a strong hr long storm. I've never lived in a place where City officials put out hours to allow parking on the neutral ground..called 'medians' in every other city..and they are prime spots less you lose a car. Parking overnight with storms inbound takes some planning also, front end highest ground or even elevated. Your last line most important and still baffles me how few are actually fully set up to ride conditions out for minimum of a week. Simply picking up a few cans, even keeping a landline phone, extra fuel when doing weekly shopping comes back to help big time when you get into a SHTF scenario. Just have to rotate stored items out.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    58,417
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2981
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    It's almost a lot like this place during Mardi Gras for lack of a better analogy . You indeed needs to know the grounds and precise location and drainage as well as what main roads go under first and alternative routes. We have a low section on I 10 under a train trestle heading East that literally goes under rather quickly now and regularly lose cars of people trying to beat it. Cuts THE only interstate off with a strong hr long storm. I've never lived in a place where City officials put out hours to allow parking on the neutral ground..called 'medians' in every other city..and they are prime spots less you lose a car. Parking overnight with storms inbound takes some planning also, front end highest ground or even elevated. Your last line most important and still baffles me how few are actually fully set up to ride conditions out for minimum of a week. Simply picking up a few cans, even keeping a landline phone, extra fuel when doing weekly shopping comes back to help big time when you get into a SHTF scenario. Just have to rotate stored items out.
    Be careful expressing preparedness on this forum, people might begin to suspect you as some sort of Doomsday Prepper


    I was a Boy Scout and I've also learned a lot of lessons. My brother suffered through a flood when he was in college and let me tell you it's an eye opener...people lost their pets because they figured "Meh, the water will never get that high" oh boy did it ever! Let me tell you, and I believe @Spicoli is on the same page with me in regards to this...if you have a pet it's a family member, if there's even the HINT of a threat and you're leaving your home, you fucking go all Green Beret and leave NO MAN behind! Friends and neighbors are very willing to help out if you INDIVIDUALLY are hit with a tragedy, but if everyone collectively is nailed with a storm, flood, etc then in order to actually provide help you MUST be prepared for shit to turn for the worse.


    It is best to have something MRE's for example (which are good for like forever or canned goods or a first aid kit) or gallons of drinking water (which obviously you make use of and refill or rotate out) and never fucking need them than NEED something and not have it or not even have access to it.
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56,658
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2697
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    We have had the tail end of a hurricane and that was a nightmare trying to ride the bike through it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    38,601
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4719
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    It's almost a lot like this place during Mardi Gras for lack of a better analogy . You indeed needs to know the grounds and precise location and drainage as well as what main roads go under first and alternative routes. We have a low section on I 10 under a train trestle heading East that literally goes under rather quickly now and regularly lose cars of people trying to beat it. Cuts THE only interstate off with a strong hr long storm. I've never lived in a place where City officials put out hours to allow parking on the neutral ground..called 'medians' in every other city..and they are prime spots less you lose a car. Parking overnight with storms inbound takes some planning also, front end highest ground or even elevated. Your last line most important and still baffles me how few are actually fully set up to ride conditions out for minimum of a week. Simply picking up a few cans, even keeping a landline phone, extra fuel when doing weekly shopping comes back to help big time when you get into a SHTF scenario. Just have to rotate stored items out.
    Be careful expressing preparedness on this forum, people might begin to suspect you as some sort of Doomsday Prepper


    I was a Boy Scout and I've also learned a lot of lessons. My brother suffered through a flood when he was in college and let me tell you it's an eye opener...people lost their pets because they figured "Meh, the water will never get that high" oh boy did it ever! Let me tell you, and I believe @Spicoli is on the same page with me in regards to this...if you have a pet it's a family member, if there's even the HINT of a threat and you're leaving your home, you fucking go all Green Beret and leave NO MAN behind! Friends and neighbors are very willing to help out if you INDIVIDUALLY are hit with a tragedy, but if everyone collectively is nailed with a storm, flood, etc then in order to actually provide help you MUST be prepared for shit to turn for the worse.


    It is best to have something MRE's for example (which are good for like forever or canned goods or a first aid kit) or gallons of drinking water (which obviously you make use of and refill or rotate out) and never fucking need them than NEED something and not have it or not even have access to it.
    Nothing wrong with prep..lessons learned..but you always have to be careful of becoming that guy who stores soup packets inside the doors in his home . True story, saw that guy once.

    I made it to Explorer and ironically was pulled out by the ol man because grades were suffering. Water is -the- killer and great uncontrollable force in any storm. Wind and water wreck the strongest structure. Anyone leaving a dog chained to a tree while evacuating should be charged with a crime and thankfully are in some States. Things changed here after Katrina big time with laws passed providing rescue groups and directors be funded and provided means to ensure adequate shelter. Clinic policies changed, boarding procedures and frankly shit we should have been paying attention to in the first place. I stayed for Katrina as we had a count of roughly 20 pets in house. Everyone just sort of scattered with Katrina coming over a weekend and this place was caught sleeping. I'll never forget that few days and walking to work the first day and having fook all clue what to do. Secured the building..the only one that didn't flood on street miraculously..and fed and watered them best possible. Tried to make air flow from second floor to first best possible while also keeping them secure. We had two small dogs on insulin, so what's a guy to do but stuff them in a gym bag, heads exposed, and walk home with them to keep insulin in a cooler and make injection times as needed. Wake up next morning..sun was only light and one does not walk an abandoned N.O post hurricane..walk back to work and keep them fed and watered. Fortunately we still had land line for first few days and finally organized the owner and a couple retired cops to make way back into city with a horse trailer and we loaded up as the mall down the street burned and the human element was quickly deteriorating. To say the least. It was a factory line as we lined them at the door and sedated them..chased and caught a few who slipped leashes and learned all about live power lines..loaded and bedded them in trailer and got the fook out of Dodge prepared to come back to nothing but a decimated city. As history would have it though we came back and rebuilt. The City stayed afloat . We didn't lose a single dog, not one. Even had a couple that owners never returned for, can you imagine being that asshole?..but we managed to adopt out to good homes. Pets are not "property' they are family in every sense of the word and it all goes back to would be owners researching the fact that feeding them and walking them is the least of your concerns and commitment. Have some foresight and responsibility FFS.

    MREs...good stuff. They were handing them out 2 cases per individual which is a TON of food when you break them down. Still have the crackers and jalapeno cheese packs and brownies . Know what I found few months ago I never even though of..canned bread! Sounds weird but try it for storage and found the raisin brown bread keeps very well. Cans are just a matter of keeping dates, few months before expiration just donate them to a shelter as still plenty edible. Dried fruits too.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    58,417
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2981
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    We have had the tail end of a hurricane and that was a nightmare trying to ride the bike through it.
    Where was this and when was this?





    Right on @Spicoli yeah I cannot imagine being so callous of an owner to leave your pets behind in ANYTHING. It warms my heart when people take the time to rescue and care for animals in times of great duress. Seeing the dog rescued after the Mexico City Earthquake was great, seeing some firefighters rescue a cat who was scared and hiding under a car trying to escape the wildfires in California, it is good to see that.






    Goat-Herding Dog Refused To Abandon Flock Amid Firestorm, Miraculously Survived
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...torm-approach/


    Respect dude!
    Last edited by El Kabong; 10-18-2017 at 04:55 AM.
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56,658
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2697
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    How long will the sun be red for? Hurricane Ophelia triggers amazing weather phenomenon

    A red sun spotted in the sky over parts of England has been caused by Storm Ophelia.

    The former hurricane is pulling air and dust up from southern Europe and Africa, causing the sun to appear red.

    The red hue has sparked many on social media to ask the question: "How long will this last?"

    The simple answer is, at the very least, until the sun goes down.

    With the worst of Ophelia set to pass by Tuesday, it seems unlikely we will experience this phenomenon tomorrow too.

    Met Office forecaster Grahame Madge said the former hurricane is pulling air and dust up from southern Europe and Africa.

    It is that dust which is giving the sky an orange glow, and given the sun a red hue.

    Winds over the weekend had travelled 3,500 miles from the Saharan dessert.

    Mr Madge said: β€œWe can tell they have come from the mid Saharan desert by the colour which is a strange orange tan.

    β€œIt's high up in the atmosphere but it will not cause any health problems.”

    Hurricane expert Paul Stevens said people will have to wash their cars though as they will get coated in the dust as it comes down to earth.

    Dr Dave Reynolds, from The Weather Channel, said: β€œWinds were strong over Iberia on Sunday, which has resulted in dust from there being raised and then blown to the UK on a strong south to south-westerly flow. Some of the dust may be particulates from the fires, although I think regular fine-grained dust would account for the majority.”

    Ophelia is due to hit the UK at some point with amber wind warnings issued for Northern Ireland, parts of Scotland and Wales while the South Coast has a yellow warning, as well as here in the North West. This has resulted in numerous flights being cancelled from Ryanair, Aer Lingus and even British Airways.

    http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...d-sky-13769078
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    58,417
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2981
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    Going to be adorable seeing England cope with a hurricane
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    21,077
    Mentioned
    785 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1020
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    There was no hurricane in England. The tail end of a storm from Ireland across the sw, Wales and Scotland, and a couple deaths in Ireland where the heart of it was, from trees falling on cars.
    Hidden Content

    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself..."

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56,658
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2697
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    There was no hurricane in England. The tail end of a storm from Ireland across the sw, Wales and Scotland, and a couple deaths in Ireland where the heart of it was, from trees falling on cars.
    Did you not see the red sun?

    The darkness?

    The world was to end.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    21,077
    Mentioned
    785 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1020
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    There was no hurricane in England. The tail end of a storm from Ireland across the sw, Wales and Scotland, and a couple deaths in Ireland where the heart of it was, from trees falling on cars.
    Did you not see the red sun?

    The darkness?

    The world was to end.
    Yes. Dust. From Portuguese forest fires that Lyle probably finds adorable. He would start a passing contest in a gui clinic
    Hidden Content

    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself..."

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56,658
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2697
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    We had some extreme thunder and lightning yesterday that we have never had before. Also had heavy terrential rain all day.

    Made it easier weeding the garden today.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    McAllen, Texas?
    Posts
    5,017
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    903
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

    Last night I drove over Homestake Pass during a storm. The pass is about 6800 feet above sea level and the lightning was hitting VERY close to the highway and it was pouring rain. From Pipestone into Butte is about 16 miles and there were probably 18-20 lightning strikes in that time. I was very relieved to get off that mountain.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2009, 08:54 PM
  2. Nasty MMA arm break - Not for the squeemish!!!
    By BIG H in forum Mixed Martial Arts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 01:05 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing