Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Nasty Weather Thread

I think I read the latest figure was about 1 million without power now. That's pretty bad. At least it should all be restored quicker than it was down here when Maria hit. I personally was 2 months without power, and was one of the lucky ones.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I think I read the latest figure was about 1 million without power now. That's pretty bad. At least it should all be restored quicker than it was down here when Maria hit. I personally was 2 months without power, and was one of the lucky ones.
    Do you have back up generators?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Do you have back up generators?

Well I do. But many people don't. I used to own one that could power the whole house, but now I just have a Honda 2 KW one. It powers the basics, but I can't hook up the whole house to it. Thinking of upgrading sometime next year.

The issue is that it should never take 6 months to a year to get power restored after a natural disaster like that.

But with Maria there were two realities: Our electrical infrastructure really wasn't up to snuff, and Maria totally demonstrated that. Two... Maria was a Cat 5 and smashed right through the middle of PR, the worst possible scenario from a hurricane.

El Kabong Guest

Duke Power estimated 3 million would be affected. So 1 million ain't so bad.

Things are fine here, wind comes and goes but nothing serious. I think Flo shot it all on the coast.

No need to worry about me what with being so far from the action...its not even all that bad of a rainstorm really. Typically in a hurricane the rain feels like you're being pummeled with nails....this is actually quite pleasant.

I'm sure not everyone is as well off as I am currently. I feel bad for those folks, but the community comes together for stuff like this. Did anyone read about Waffle House and what they've done? Sent in "jump teams" to give local employees the time off to look after their homes and families and even provided shelter for a few people....what an awesome gesture, love me some Waffle House! Smothered, Covered, & Peppered if you know what I mean.

El Kabong Guest

Well not so much as a flooded basement for me....which makes me very happy as I personally installed the french drain in front of the basement and it has worked beautifully.

We got a massive downpour of rain, a real gullywasher, a frog strangler but that and some wind gusts is all we had and the wind gusts didn't take down many limbs at all.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

...... and now there's tropical storm Kirk. West Africa just keeps on pumping these bastards out. I'm telling ya, if the whole protruding bump of NW Africa were to suddenly sink into the ocean Atlantis-style, I wouldn't shed any tears.
    It's a goddamn hurricane factory.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~kirk~ ....fuckin A, next will be ~lang~

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lang would've been good, Brock. Definitely better than the name already chosen............... Leslie.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

#Kirland Leslie

Now that's more fitting isn't it 😎

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Been a minute since we've had the Puckerfactor kick in but Michael has been terribly slept on all around. All of the sudden it went from 'meh tropical something or whatever' to the real deal since yesterday. Let it never be said that being on 'the other end' of a storm is easier. More so when you can't get a goddamn straight answer and plan of action! People who live along common tracks and regions tend to take turns dodging, tracking and formulating 1001 possibilities. Watching a neighbor take one on the chin while hoping it's not so bad but under your breath glad it's not on your back. It's weird like that. Sitting here with family within 200 miles of projected landfall tomorrow. On the coast line. Beautiful view when it's not filling your house. Was told the plan was to drive out west then cut north this morning but as of tonight that has not happened. If I had a wall close I might be tempted to put my head through it, or go to sleep after the first attempt. Apparently I'm the least stubborn thick headed individual in this family after all. Who knew. bit of a random rant but man this one is bad. I'll pray for the jog West by some fluke and take it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow Spicoli..... sorry to hear you're in the projected path of the hurricane. Seems this damn season doesn't want to go away quietly. You live in the Florida panhandle? For some reason I thought you lived in Louisiana, although when one of those big suckers is coming in off the Gulf, it's not just one state that's affected. There's enough to go around for quite a few states. But you're right about storm tracks. It's a bitch that it has to hit someone, but of course you hope it doesn't hit you. Best thing would be for it so stall and weaken like Florence.... but this one doesn't seem like it's gonna do that. Stay safe, buddy. Let's hope for the least amount of damage to the least amount of people. If there's any silver lining, it's that it's not going to affect too much the areas that were devastated by Florence's rains, although that's precisely what Michael seems to be aiming at doing by the time it gets over there. If you're on the coast, beware of the storm surge. I imagine it's pretty flat land out there. Keep us posted bro.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn. It's a Cat 4 now.

These bitches strengthen quickly sometimes.

El Kabong Guest

Damn. It's a Cat 4 now.

These bitches strengthen quickly sometimes.
    Heading my way too....never gets old

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow Spicoli..... sorry to hear you're in the projected path of the hurricane. Seems this damn season doesn't want to go away quietly. You live in the Florida panhandle? For some reason I thought you lived in Louisiana, although when one of those big suckers is coming in off the Gulf, it's not just one state that's affected. There's enough to go around for quite a few states. But you're right about storm tracks. It's a bitch that it has to hit someone, but of course you hope it doesn't hit you. Best thing would be for it so stall and weaken like Florence.... but this one doesn't seem like it's gonna do that. Stay safe, buddy. Let's hope for the least amount of damage to the least amount of people. If there's any silver lining, it's that it's not going to affect too much the areas that were devastated by Florence's rains, although that's precisely what Michael seems to be aiming at doing by the time it gets over there. If you're on the coast, beware of the storm surge. I imagine it's pretty flat land out there. Keep us posted bro.
    Thanks man. Not my bullet this time but family members, one in the same. They drove into Panama City at 5 am this morning and staying at Nieces place, brick and two stories and last spoke they were waiting for landfall and we're east part of eye wall. Worst hit area sounds like exactly where they lived and left sandwiched in between Tyndall AFB and Apalachicola. From live cams, news coverage and the fact the local M.B and Port St Joe Police departments have had zero updates emergency or otherwise since landfall I'm assuming the worse as far as their homes and properties on mass. Empty as they may be. Cell towers and land lines down and no info from Panama city yet but waiting for a little longer and trying to find a route in.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Thanks man. Not my bullet this time but family members, one in the same. They drove into Panama City at 5 am this morning and staying at Nieces place, brick and two stories and last spoke they were waiting for landfall and we're east part of eye wall. Worst hit area sounds like exactly where they lived and left sandwiched in between Tyndall AFB and Apalachicola. From live cams, news coverage and the fact the local M.B and Port St Joe Police departments have had zero updates emergency or otherwise since landfall I'm assuming the worse as far as their homes and properties on mass. Empty as they may be. Cell towers and land lines down and no info from Panama city yet but waiting for a little longer and trying to find a route in.

From the news coverage, looks like Panama City took a direct hit from the eye. I hope your family's ok, and if they're in a brick, 2-story structure they should be fine. Scared as hell maybe, but fine. Damn these hurricanes seem to be getting worse every year. Seems we're in an UP part of the climactic cycle for these things. It also seems it's a roll of the dice as far as where these things form and where they're headed. For us in the Caribbean, it's the Cape Verde hurricanes that scare us the most. Plenty of time to churn through the Atlantic and pick up steam. For you guys on the Gulf coast, it seems they can just form in the Gulf and give you problems with little notice. The East coast at least has length going for it, but the Carolinas jut out like a jaw asking for an uppercut and tend to be sweet for these storms. Oh well.... it's either this or earthquakes. I guess I'll stick with the occasional hurricane. (Although after Maria I may just move to Alaska... hahaha).

Thread Information