Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshua v Carlos Takam 28 October 2017

Eddie Hearn was on the radio and said AJ is not the finished article. It is extraordinary that a champion of multiple heavyweight titles with a number of defences is still not the finished article. It says more about the quality of heavyweights than how talented the champion really is.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Eddie Hearn was on the radio and said AJ is not the finished article. It is extraordinary that a champion of multiple heavyweight titles with a number of defences is still not the finished article. It says more about the quality of heavyweights than how talented the champion really is.
    Not throwing blame around, just stating the facts as they are....but it's not just the division but also choice of opponents. The Ring top 10 and champion of those 11 he has fought 2. None higher than the 8th guy.

Again, not blaming, just saying.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Not throwing blame around, just stating the facts as they are....but it's not just the division but also choice of opponents. The Ring top 10 and champion of those 11 he has fought 2. None higher than the 8th guy.

Ring ratings have Bellew at 10. Enough said I think.

But for what it's worth. Based on your 'guys inside The Ring top 10' selection process. Joshua is matching himself harder and better than anyone else no? Fury hasnt fought anyone inside the top ten. Neither has Wilder.

Master where's the issue with someone being a champion yet not the finished article? Lennox Lewis was far from the finished article when winning and then losing World titles. It's nothing like extraordinary.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post

But for what it's worth. Based on your 'guys inside The Ring top 10' selection process. Joshua is matching himself harder and better than anyone else no? Fury hasnt fought anyone inside the top ten. Neither has Wilder.

Master where's the issue with someone being a champion yet not the finished article? Lennox Lewis was far from the finished article when winning and then losing World titles. It's nothing like extraordinary.
    Champion- Fury? How's he supposed to fight him?
    Povetkin - Banned half the time.
    Bellew - no.10.
    Parker & Wilder - just as much there fault as his it hasn't happened.
    Let's move on shall we.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lennox had earned his title shot beating undefeated Gary Mason, gone through the titles and at least gone the distance.

However I am not blaming AJ, it would be criminal for him not to take the opportunity presented to him. Every other great heavyweight would have taken the title under these circumstances.

I am just pointing out how poor the division really is and Bellew at number 10! No wonder David Haye has not called it a day.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lennox had earned his title shot beating undefeated Gary Mason, gone through the titles and at least gone the distance.

However I am not blaming AJ, it would be criminal for him not to take the opportunity presented to him. Every other great heavyweight would have taken the title under these circumstances.

I am just pointing out how poor the division really is and Bellew at number 10! No wonder David Haye has not called it a day.
    Being Devil's advocate a bit, but Is that not similar to Joshua earning his shot beating the undefeated Whyte? Now don't get me wrong, I don't rate Whyte, but we're talking about a guy whose next fight could be a title shot.
    I'm not saying AJ is near Lewis's level, may never be . He has a lot to learn and that will only come with experience.
    The "Going the distance" thing , is that really relevant any more? He's gone 11 rounds with one of the best 2 fighters of the last 10 years and 10 rounds in his last 2 fights, so there's not much difference.
    What he needs to do is weigh a stone lighter and he'll do 12 rounds no problem if he has to.
    I did say a while ago, "Maybe he'll never go the distance, maybe he'll either finish every opponent or they finish him inside the distance."
    After last night's refereeing, I think it is a definite aim of Hearn's and Matchroom.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Being Devil's advocate a bit, but Is that not similar to Joshua earning his shot beating the undefeated Whyte? Now don't get me wrong, I don't rate Whyte, but we're talking about a guy whose next fight could be a title shot.
    I'm not saying AJ is near Lewis's level, may never be . He has a lot to learn and that will only come with experience.
    The "Going the distance" thing , is that really relevant any more? He's gone 11 rounds with one of the best 2 fighters of the last 10 years and 10 rounds in his last 2 fights, so there's not much difference.
    What he needs to do is weigh a stone lighter and he'll do 12 rounds no problem if he has to.
    I did say a while ago, "Maybe he'll never go the distance, maybe he'll either finish every opponent or they finish him inside the distance."
    After last night's refereeing, I think it is a definite aim of Hearn's and Matchroom.
    Those championship rounds meant something.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's sort of true that Lewis wasn't quite the finished article when he won the title (nor was Mike Tyson, but he was 20 for fucks sale)

However, I cannot remember a period in history when two 'world' heavyweight champions were essentially novices.

it says more about the total lack of decent heavyweights than it does about how good Joshua or Wilder are
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lewis did well for himself to come Stateside right after Mason and beat up former champ Weaver on commercial tv. He was definitely far from complete and in fairness his title 'claim' was very anti climactic after destroying #1 ranked Ruddock in 4 man tourney as Bowe tucked tail and ran. From there he beats 3 top ten guys before he slips .

Hearn was maybe trying to get ahead of it, but honestly most of the fault came before the bell even sounded with AJs weight and apparently assuming Takam would be a complete pushover. Otherwise he dominated the fight and finally did late what he needed to do from start, working jab and bodywork and combination. He better get his head right next out though and I still think he beats Wilder who is a wide open book regarding chin and facing any form of real adversity.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Champion- Fury? How's he supposed to fight him?
    Povetkin - Banned half the time.
    Bellew - no.10.
    Parker & Wilder - just as much there fault as his it hasn't happened.
    Let's move on shall we.
    The point is they need to fight, not move on. Not blaming anyone here, just saying the top guys needto fight

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    It's sort of true that Lewis wasn't quite the finished article when he won the title (nor was Mike Tyson, but he was 20 for fucks sale)

However, I cannot remember a period in history when two 'world' heavyweight champions were essentially novices.

it says more about the total lack of decent heavyweights than it does about how good Joshua or Wilder are
    Which has been said about every era since the dawn of time. Maybe it's because in general big men look crap so only a few standout in any era.

Wilder isn't a novice, he's been protected and is really no different to American guys like Tommy Morrison (without a Mercer moment), who feasted on club fighters until a title opportunity popped up against a fossil.

And AJ's competition in 20 fights is arguably stronger than prime Tyson, Lewis, Bowe, Vitali, Wlad etc.

The only difference today is, AJ's entire career/life is played out 24/7 in public, you get to watch and rewatch every single fight, every single move, every single word said is scrutinised. Stick Prime Tyson in this era you've got a protected laughing stock. Lewis and Bowe were constantly considered crap in comparison with past heavyweight fighters.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Which has been said about every era since the dawn of time. Maybe it's because in general big men look crap so only a few standout in any era.

Wilder isn't a novice, he's been protected and is really no different to American guys like Tommy Morrison (without a Mercer moment), who feasted on club fighters until a title opportunity popped up against a fossil.

And AJ's competition in 20 fights is arguably stronger than prime Tyson, Lewis, Bowe, Vitali, Wlad etc.

The only difference today is, AJ's entire career/life is played out 24/7 in public, you get to watch and rewatch every single fight, every single move, every single word said is scrutinised. Stick Prime Tyson in this era you've got a protected laughing stock. Lewis and Bowe were constantly considered crap in comparison with past heavyweight fighters.
    This is so true, not just for Joshua, but just about every modern day fighter. This is one of many reasons I don't like comparing Boxers of different eras. So many differences, some positive, some not so.
    for example, the reason AJ's competition in 20 fights is arguably stronger is because they fight so much less nowadays, 20 fights is the equivalent of 35 fights in old money.
    Not a criticism of AJ, just how it is nowadays. Fighters don't fight enough to cement a legacy.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Or maybe popular fighters today don't have the luxury of "padding" their records. It's not like AJ can slip on the undercard of the first Hearn American show (Danny Jacobs) to subtlety introduce himself to a new audience or have a quick defense down at the York Hall before Christmas.

Dillian Whyte got a non-televised slot on the Crawford undercard the other month and all over the boxing fans/forum/media was criticism of the opponent. Dillian fucking Whyte can't even have a gimme, in front of one man and a dog, without being torn to shreds.

Fans today have no understanding of Lennox Lewis being on Gatti and Holyfield undercards in the States. Roy-Toney/Hopkins all made their careers on Tyson/Morrison/Holyfield/Oscar undercards. Imagine today that a fight like Roy Jones-Toney was a mere undercard musing? These type of fights today have a glorified mythical status when in reality they weren't even deemed headline worthy.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Truth is both Morrison and that fossil Foreman would have stuffed Charles Martin into a bucket and claimed a trinket as well. The same scrutiny and ever shining light that is on AJ also affords him those door prizes and massive play. Wilder was same way for a while..always a guy you knew would be steered there but eventually the promotion must release the wheel.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Or maybe popular fighters today don't have the luxury of "padding" their records. It's not like AJ can slip on the undercard of the first Hearn American show (Danny Jacobs) to subtlety introduce himself to a new audience or have a quick defense down at the York Hall before Christmas.

Dillian Whyte got a non-televised slot on the Crawford undercard the other month and all over the boxing fans/forum/media was criticism of the opponent. Dillian fucking Whyte can't even have a gimme, in front of one man and a dog, without being torn to shreds.

Fans today have no understanding of Lennox Lewis being on Gatti and Holyfield undercards in the States. Roy-Toney/Hopkins all made their careers on Tyson/Morrison/Holyfield/Oscar undercards. Imagine today that a fight like Roy Jones-Toney was a mere undercard musing? These type of fights today have a glorified mythical status when in reality they weren't even deemed headline worthy.
    I don't mind people having a lighter fight in between some tough fights, but the money reflects that as DeGale has just seen. Dunno if topping a small bill makes any difference.
    the reason people criticized Whyte is because him and his promoter were billing it as his "Breakthrough fight and introduction to the States Market with a view to getting Wilder!" well if that's the case , you don't do that fighting some cowboy straight out of the saloon after 3 shots of red eye!
    I believe the reason they have less fights is because they are more choosy and the reason for that is because they earn way more money .

Thread Information