Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Colin Kaepernick and the absurdity of the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    only 1 way to look at it Spicoli:

we cannot protest on our jobs, dunno bout u, but we get fired in America for taking a knee in the office and doing political statements at work.

Therefore:

FIRE THEIR STUPID IGNORANT ASSES
    Don't know about where you work but we don't have mandated moments to pledge or recite oaths before we clock in or on the clock. Technically speaking what a ball player does prior to the start of official game time is on them I'd imagine. Hell players didn't even take the field during anthem until what, less than a decade ago? They also had a owner-player meeting and decided to meet later keeping things as they are in the interim? Sounds like a business addressing things internally and it is literally none of my business though I'm free to burn as many jerseys and ball caps with a flag logo on them that I want. Not sure what makes players ignorant and just think you guys in such a rabble rabble roar up are almost giving these players too much credit for having an impact on my personal life they really do not have. It really is a non issue in my eyes and simply a shiny object. Meanwhile during the next massive fight I like majority of fans will be griping about listening to multiple anthems being dragged out before a fight . And I won't be standing and chances are I'll be consuming large amounts of adult beverages and typing on a keyboard or god forbid taking a quick wiz as not to miss a round. Surely does not make me any less of a proud American and believer in this Republic.
    i'm sure the anthem is part of thhe game, the whole production, fans are there, cameras rolling, you cannot do political statements at work AND YOU KNOW IT.
    So, military fly overs previously or currently paid for by DOD, same as military appreciation days, a National Anthem sang proudly for thousands, teams visiting White House and Presidents calling teams and a football field size American flag flowing over the players field..but sure no political statements of any type allowed 'at work'. Gotcha .

the entire subject is based on emotional reaction, but hey all the power to ya wherever you land on the matter. We're 'Muricans, we protest and rise up and we literally wrote the book.
    dude r u seriously saying that military flyovers and patriotism are "political statements"?? Seriously?!!!!! @Spicoli

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Colin gets paid to strap on a helmet and run offensive plays as QB. Not to stand during the national anthem.
    Kudos to him for expressing his personal beliefs in a way he knows will rain shit down on top of his head.

El Kabong Guest

The NFL is a tax exempt business......it would really be a shame if something changed all that

I'm fine with there not being flyovers at NFL games or what have you.....either stand for the Anthem or stay in the locker room do your protesting on YOUR time not on company time.

Anything wrong with that?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he stayed in the locker room, no one would even notice, except his coach and team, maybe. This way, he's drawing attention to an issue most people would rather see buried in page 90 of the newspaper (where they still print those). Again with the ostrich analogy. Just because the ostrich sticks his head in the sand, it doesn't mean the problems around him automatically go away. Colin took a brave stand, and is paying the consequences. Good for him.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    If he stayed in the locker room, no one would even notice, except his coach and team, maybe. This way, he's drawing attention to an issue most people would rather see buried in page 90 of the newspaper (where they still print those). Again with the ostrich analogy. Just because the ostrich sticks his head in the sand, it doesn't mean the problems around him automatically go away. Colin took a brave stand, and is paying the consequences. Good for him.
    You misunderstand, I'm saying the TEAMS they can either stand altogether or stay in the locker room altogether.

If Colin Kaepernick would like to address his own personal pet projects on his own time then he's free to do that. He's free to talk them up when he's interviewed, he's free to invite fans to the ghetto and help do community service, and they'd be willing to help him out, I guarantee it black white, red, brown, it wouldn't matter.....but American people are proud of their flag and they're proud of their National Anthem, their proud of their military and first responders.....kneeling stands in direct opposition to that whether the kneelers would like to believe that or not.

I AM speaking English right? This is getting through right?

Perception is reality, and when a Che Guevara t-shirt wearing Woke ass MultiMillionaire feels like lecturing everyday Americans on how unfair and unjust our society is, don't expect many people to lean in and listen real intently to his bullshit, they're just there to watch some football, leave the politics at home.....or ya know, don't and just have fun trying to find a team. Be a martyr because you've got a stupid way to try and spread a message.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    You misunderstand, I'm saying the TEAMS they can either stand altogether or stay in the locker room altogether.

If Colin Kaepernick would like to address his own personal pet projects on his own time then he's free to do that. He's free to talk them up when he's interviewed, he's free to invite fans to the ghetto and help do community service, and they'd be willing to help him out, I guarantee it black white, red, brown, it wouldn't matter.....but American people are proud of their flag and they're proud of their National Anthem, their proud of their military and first responders.....kneeling stands in direct opposition to that whether the kneelers would like to believe that or not.

I AM speaking English right? This is getting through right?

Perception is reality, and when a Che Guevara t-shirt wearing Woke ass MultiMillionaire feels like lecturing everyday Americans on how unfair and unjust our society is, don't expect many people to lean in and listen real intently to his bullshit, they're just there to watch some football, leave the politics at home.....or ya know, don't and just have fun trying to find a team. Be a martyr because you've got a stupid way to try and spread a message.

The language bit is unnecessary and abrasive.

I think I already stated earlier in the thread that, were Colin to try and express his message through regular interviews, it'd be like "Uhh... yeah... see you later Colin. Hey "other QB".... so what did you think of your team's offensive showing today?" Again... when the king wants the court jester's opinion on something, he'll beat it out of him. Bottom line here is: you don't think there's a problem or there has EVER been a problem. So when someone who DOES think there's a problem interrupts your precious football PRE-game with a couple of minutes of kneel-down demonstration, it sticks in your craw.

El Kabong Guest

I think I already stated earlier in the thread that, were Colin to try and express his message through regular interviews, it'd be like "Uhh... yeah... see you later Colin. Hey "other QB".... so what did you think of your team's offensive showing today?" Again... when the king wants the court jester's opinion on something, he'll beat it out of him. Bottom line here is: you don't think there's a problem or there has EVER been a problem. So when someone who DOES think there's a problem interrupts your precious football PRE-game with a couple of minutes of kneel-down demonstration, it sticks in your craw.
    I did not mean for the language bit to be a dig at you, honestly I did not. I am just kind of at a loss as to what the actual fuck is going on in this country where it's just ok to burn everything down about a country just because in the past we haven't gotten things 100% correct and I have no doubt that is what Colin Kaepernick wants to do, and I have no doubt that's what Black Lives Matter wants to do, how do I know? I've read their demands lists and yes they are INSANE HORSE SHIT.

You don't think ESPN, which has become weaponized politically, would give Colin Kaepernick the air time? I'd be willing to bet they compare Colin Kaepernick to Jackie Robinson and Muhammad Ali before too long, I'd be willing to bet it actually.

Colin Kaepernick got a free ride to the University of Nevada, he was paid MILLIONS by the San Francisco 49ers, HE opted out of his contract, his girlfriend stirred the turd with the Baltimore Ravens who were going to make him an offer....I'm sorry, I fail to see how I the "privileged white guy" have more privilege than that dude. If I protested at work I'd be fired, FACT.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 11-10-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

I did not mean for the language bit to be a dig at you, honestly I did not. I am just kind of at a loss as to what the actual fuck is going on in this country where it's just ok to burn everything down about a country just because in the past we haven't gotten things 100% correct and I have no doubt that is what Colin Kaepernick wants to do, and I have no doubt that's what Black Lives Matter wants to do, how do I know? I've read their demands lists and yes they are INSANE HORSE SHIT.

You don't think ESPN, which has become weaponized politically, would give Colin Kaepernick the air time? I'd be willing to bet they compare Colin Kaepernick to Jackie Robinson and Muhammad Ali before too long, I'd be willing to bet it actually.

Colin Kaepernick got a free ride to the University of Nevada, he was paid MILLIONS by the San Francisco 49ers, HE opted out of his contract, his girlfriend stirred the turd with the Baltimore Ravens who were going to make him an offer....I'm sorry, I fail to see how I the "privileged white guy" have more privilege than that dude. If I protested at work I'd be fired, FACT.

"In the past we haven't gotten things 100% correct"? I don't think Colin is protesting the past. I think he's protesting what he perceives is a general injustice in the law enforcement system skewed against young blacks. Whether he's right or not, I think there's been cases on BOTH sides of the issue. Meaning there's been young blacks who have practically begged to be shot...... and there's been white cops who have been completely abusive without any provocation. In Colin's mind, not enough is being done about this. So he protests. It's his choice. We cannot use the phrase "freedom of expression" only when it suits us.

BLM? I'd be willing to bet there's members on both sides of the spectrum. I'd bet there's the genuinely concerned, law-abiding blacks, who fear the trend that appears to be taking hold...... just like I'd bet there's the trashy opportunist blacks (like Denilson) who can't wait to play the victim card for their own benefit and just because they love to stir up the shit. I can't condemn a whole organization by generalizing against it.

Yes... Colin personally has been privileged. He's had the sort of financial opportunities afforded to very few of us. But rather than hold that against him, I instead commend him for taking a stand he knows will be wildly unpopular and controversial, even putting his very career in jeopardy. I once lived in Houston, and witnessed first hand some very disgusting racist violence toward Vietnamese shrimping boats and owners. This was far removed from me. I had a very good job and lived in a very nice neighborhood. My English was impeccable, so my friends didn't see me as a Puerto Rican... just one of the guys. But yet those injustices happening to someone ELSE bothered me just the same. I wrote several times to the newspaper... and had many letters published. Colin himself may not be getting pulled over and punched senseless by white cops. But he's seen it enough times to where it bothers him.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe Kaepernick mostly punted his credibility when he refused to attend the player-owners talks to address the topic. It also has to be said the entire subject was waning and to a few individuals until the President of the United States interjected himself and rallied as a fetch toy for base. Americans in general don't like to be told 'how and when to' protest. Bit of the whole point.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe Kaepernick mostly punted his credibility when he refused to attend the player-owners talks to address the topic. It also has to be said the entire subject was waning and to a few individuals until the President of the United States interjected himself and rallied as a fetch toy for base. Americans in general don't like to be told 'how and when to' protest. Bit of the whole point.

https://deadspin.com/report-colin-ka...mee-1819951388

This is all I found on the subject, so I'm not convinced that Colin "refused" to attend any meetings. Also, I trust Roger Goodell about as far as I could throw him... so I'm generally not inclined to take the NFL's side on too many issues. As far as the subject waning, it's probably just a "longer than usual" lull in the hostilities. I'm convinced the next Slager-Scott incident is right around the corner.

El Kabong Guest

"In the past we haven't gotten things 100% correct"? I don't think Colin is protesting the past. I think he's protesting what he perceives is a general injustice in the law enforcement system skewed against young blacks. Whether he's right or not, I think there's been cases on BOTH sides of the issue. Meaning there's been young blacks who have practically begged to be shot...... and there's been white cops who have been completely abusive without any provocation. In Colin's mind, not enough is being done about this. So he protests. It's his choice. We cannot use the phrase "freedom of expression" only when it suits us.

BLM? I'd be willing to bet there's members on both sides of the spectrum. I'd bet there's the genuinely concerned, law-abiding blacks, who fear the trend that appears to be taking hold...... just like I'd bet there's the trashy opportunist blacks (like Denilson) who can't wait to play the victim card for their own benefit and just because they love to stir up the shit. I can't condemn a whole organization by generalizing against it.

Yes... Colin personally has been privileged. He's had the sort of financial opportunities afforded to very few of us. But rather than hold that against him, I instead commend him for taking a stand he knows will be wildly unpopular and controversial, even putting his very career in jeopardy. I once lived in Houston, and witnessed first hand some very disgusting racist violence toward Vietnamese shrimping boats and owners. This was far removed from me. I had a very good job and lived in a very nice neighborhood. My English was impeccable, so my friends didn't see me as a Puerto Rican... just one of the guys. But yet those injustices happening to someone ELSE bothered me just the same. I wrote several times to the newspaper... and had many letters published. Colin himself may not be getting pulled over and punched senseless by white cops. But he's seen it enough times to where it bothers him.

Well BLM which Colin supports certainly believes that America's past sins make the present state of the nation worthless.

There are plenty of studies on going about law enforcement interaction with the public: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/u...shootings.html

My argument is not about the reasons Colin Kaepernick is protesting, it's about HOW he has chosen to protest which has won him very few fans. I am just relaying a message I KNOW FOR A FACT that the NFL players are not hearing, the NFL owners and TV execs are seeing it, but the players are CLUELESS about it. Look into the stands, those empty seats are going to bite the league in the ass.

"But rather than hold that against him," Well that's the difference between us, because he nor BLM are extending that courtesy to me or any other white person, regardless of socioeconomic status. Apparently to BLM all white people are Kennedy's. And for the billionth time (and I know that you know this) Black Lives Matter is 100% Socialist/Communist, it's not about "fair" it's about dismantling an entire system that being OUR system, our system which hasn't always been right, hasn't always been perfect, but we all do pretty well.

I've gone on Colin Kaepernick's twitter feed, he's retweeted Tariq Nasheed , a Washington Post story about and I quote "The nativist and white nationalist roots of the Pledge of Allegiance", Shaun King ....that ain't winning me over to his side of the debate, Tariq Nasheed is a Black Supremacist which somehow carries less weight than calling someone a White Supremacist, that Washington Post story is a fucking joke, the 'Pledge of Allegiance' is "nativist" ya don't fucking say, and Shaun King is an actual fraud 1. He's literally doing blackface but it's acceptable because of his politics 2. he's taken money given in good faith to nonprofits he started and that money has vanished.....he also works for The Young Turks who are Armenian Genocide denying Communist/Socialists.

The company you keep eh.

I don't care if Kaepernick plays football ever again....I don't want anyone wrongly/mistakenly shot by the police EVER regardless of skin color, and I want everyone to live peacefully in our current system of government.

El Kabong Guest

Ray 'Obstruction of Justice in a Double Homicide Case' Lewis wanted to sign Colin Kaepernick before Nessa sent out that tweet.

I don't give 2 shits if Kap plays ever again, I'm not watching the NFL anymore it no longer interests me. I'm also not crying for someone trying to make a political statement at work and that employer no longer wants to hire that employee.

The people can agree with Kap, and hell maybe they do, but they can also disagree with how he's gone about his protest that too is acceptable. People have voted with their feet, their money, and their remote controls and the NFL is feeling it BIG TIME.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://deadspin.com/report-colin-ka...mee-1819951388

This is all I found on the subject, so I'm not convinced that Colin "refused" to attend any meetings. Also, I trust Roger Goodell about as far as I could throw him... so I'm generally not inclined to take the NFL's side on too many issues. As far as the subject waning, it's probably just a "longer than usual" lull in the hostilities. I'm convinced the next Slager-Scott incident is right around the corner.
    The number of players participating was a drop in the bucket prior to POTUS playing politics with it. Some of the 13 players and nfl vp Lockhart indicated Kaepernick was invited to initial meeting though his attorney says otherwise. He's a grown man and started the ball rolling so should represent his position I believe. But under advice of attorney and the grievance he filed has to be noted also.

El Kabong Guest

This just in...

California NAACP calls for removing ‘Star-Spangled Banner’ as national anthem
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...spangled-bann/

....now I'd like to remind everyone of the Confederate statue issue and how now statues/monuments to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Teddy Roosevelt have been defaced because they are deemed by the flavor of the month to be "on the wrong side of history"

This will be fun, and SURELY not be divisive, SURELY this issue, THIS will bring us all together...I'm excited about it to be honest.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Imagine that. People having to follow the law. your boss tells you no kneeling next to your computer cubicle in the office please. And then you sign a contract for employment which includes that stipulation. Then you feel like a weekend warrior and you decide to kneel next to your computer cubicle in front of 40 other office workers some of whom feel that it is not workplace-related and that it is too disruptive. Then the boss fires you because of it.

Imagine that. What has this world come to? A boss who holds you accountable for the contract you signed and then enforces the law. @El Kabong

Thread Information